basic upgrades to '06 rubicon? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > Wrangler General Discussion > basic upgrades to '06 rubicon?

Rampage Bowless Soft Top Oconee offroadAlloy USA Still AvailableAdvance Adapters SYE Kits

Unread 10-18-2013, 10:00 AM   #1
laurenpaige

basic upgrades to '06 rubicon?

im extremely new to the "jeep" world, and i am currently purchasing a 2006 rubicon that has no previous upgrades to it. i love the look of lifted jeeps with decently big tires, and i am looking at purchasing goodyear duratracs as ive heard they are one of the best for both offroad use and street use. can someone please give me a general idea of what else i should do to make it look better (what type and size lift)? im not an offroading enthusiast, but i do sometimes go with my good friends, but nothing crazy, just hill climbing and basic stuff.

laurenpaige is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-18-2013, 10:47 AM   #2
biffgnar
Web Wheeler

2006 TJ Wrangler 

Do nothing to it for at least six months. Drive it on and off road. Learn what you like about it and where it is lacking based on your needs. During that time read a lot here on JF. Just about any and every mod out there has been discussed in detail here. Form your own opinions as to what you want to do based on how you use the jeep.
Unread 10-18-2013, 11:31 AM   #3
frenchy206
2003 TJ Wrangler 

It sounds like you want the lift and bigger tires more for look than functionality. That being said, how much of a lift depends on how big of a tire you want to run and how big your pocket book is. If you wanna just run 32's, and don't plan doing crazy amounts of flex or rocks, you can do a 2" budget boost, with no need to really do anything else. The sky is the limit. Anything more than 2", imho, would need a lot of different components replaced....springs, shocks, steering, bump stop extentions, sway bar extentions, longer drive shaft, etc. The list goes on the higher you go.

Personally, I like the LCOG (low center of gravity) builds more. Less tipsy.
Unread 10-18-2013, 11:56 AM   #4
bogleparsons
2013 JK Wrangler 

You already have a Rubicon so that's alot of built in upgrades, I say decide what size tires you want, get out there and enjoy that damn thing!

Oh, and Welcome to the club!
Unread 10-18-2013, 09:41 PM   #5
joe108
2003 TJ Wrangler 

Wait and take it on trails with other jeeps, then determine what you need for the particular wheeling you do.
joe108 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-18-2013, 09:48 PM   #6
Jeffro06
October 2012 TJOTM

2006 TJ Wrangler 

I've got a 2006 Rubi too. The OPDA will probably be an issue at some point. Read about it here that way you won't be like "WTF" when it appears.

As for mods, going up one tire size from stock and adding a nice 2" lift, such as Old Man Emu makes for a nice daily driver, weekend warrior....ask me how I know...or look at my build thread for my take on the whole upgrade thing.

But you should wheel it stock a time or two, before you do anything to it.

Moab Trails I've done: Onion Creek, Long Canyon, Dome Plateau, Top of The World (2), Fins-N-Things (2), Poison Spider,
Golden Spike, Gold Bar Rim, Hell's Revenge (2), Baby Lion Back, Cliff Hanger, Moab Rim, Kane Creek Canyon, Strike Ravine

Shortcuts to key points in my build: MTRk's OME 2" HD Lift Antirock Skidrow steering box & radiator skids LoD rear bumper
Rokmen Mercenary bumper w/Superwinch Rokmen sliders Skidrow engine skid Rampage Top CB set up
Custom trunk Rokmen 1" Billet spacers JJ track bar Rokmen Adjustable Control Arms Currectlync Steering
Rokmen Trail Corners Metalcloak Overlines Kentrol Hood Latches JK Turn Signals Xenon 4" Flat Flares Hood Decal Duratracs
Derale Tranny Cooler DieHard Factor 55 Thimble Ten Factory Front Chromo Shafts

Get your build sheet here.
Jeffro06 is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-19-2013, 10:01 AM   #7
grogie
M-F: Cell Block #4533

2006 TJ Wrangler 

Do an OME Ultimate lift to it and run either 32s or 33s. It's nice to have added clearance that a lift gives, and also add some skids too. Enjoy the Rubicon.

Red Jeep Club #345
2006 TJ Sport
2004 KJ Limited
2013 Off-Road Trailer

grogie is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Tags
rubicon

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.