Ballpark paint job quote - Page 2 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > Wrangler General Discussion > Ballpark paint job quote

Steinjager TJ tube doorsAttention to the TJ owners 1996-2006 NEW LED LIGHT OPTIONSOPTIC ARMOR WINDOWS all sale now !!!!!!!!

Unread 12-04-2009, 08:41 PM   #16
larjeep
2006 LJ Wrangler 

wow. you are lonely arent you. no thanks i good. and btw. you wouldnt know your *** from your elbow in a shop. and im sure of it. my buddy.

larjeep is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-04-2009, 08:44 PM   #17
mrblaine
Web Wheeler

1999 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by larjeep View Post
wow. you are lonely arent you. .
Are you hitting on me?
Unread 12-04-2009, 08:52 PM   #18
lumpster
2013 JK Wrangler 

you guys gonna have a pissin contest next?

mrblaine, although im no paint expert, i dissagree with at least the 500 paint job you say will look good at 8 feet. man i can see defects in factory paint at 8 feet, maybe its my eyes are still young? maybe is the fact that i work in inspection? ( you were probably just using this as an example)

I do agree that the better it looks the closer you get, the more it costs, and man does it cost.

Diamonds? have to balance the jeep spending with the wifes jewelry?
Blaine asked me before we left camp if I'd ever been wheeling before, I said "sure, of course I have"... about 50 feet onto the trail, he said "Wade, you f'in lied to me, you've never been WHEELING before"... I think he was right! :rofl:

Want to STOP?

JEEP Co-op parts, DELRIN DOOR BUSHINGS, TRE inserts, poolball shifters, tierod flip kits

My Goodyear tire experience
lumpster is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-04-2009, 08:53 PM   #19
larjeep
2006 LJ Wrangler 

well its been nice chatting with you blaine. i can see by your other post your are very smart (NOT), and make alot of friends on here. any way when people are trying to help someone you should keep to your self if your not going to try to help also., one day you will find you smart *** mouth is going to get you something you dont want. i can see that for sure. unlike you i have a life other then a keyboard mechanic that you are with 10k post it is very easy to see. what your lift is like. chao blaine.
Unread 12-04-2009, 08:55 PM   #20
lumpster
2013 JK Wrangler 

its "ciao", and you've never seen blaines work i guess.
Blaine asked me before we left camp if I'd ever been wheeling before, I said "sure, of course I have"... about 50 feet onto the trail, he said "Wade, you f'in lied to me, you've never been WHEELING before"... I think he was right! :rofl:

Want to STOP?

JEEP Co-op parts, DELRIN DOOR BUSHINGS, TRE inserts, poolball shifters, tierod flip kits

Unread 12-04-2009, 09:00 PM   #21
mrblaine
Web Wheeler

1999 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by lumpster View Post
you guys gonna have a pissin contest next?
Not in the slightest. Read the first part of my reply or did you miss the tongue in cheek part. Those are made up numbers, made up distances, and in general, the only thing that holds true is there is no good paint from the sub 300 dollar places and no guarantee of great paint at the more expensive ones.

Quote:
mrblaine, although im no paint expert, i dissagree with at least the 500 paint job you say will look good at 8 feet. man i can see defects in factory paint at 8 feet, maybe its my eyes are still young? maybe is the fact that i work in inspection? ( you were probably just using this as an example)

I do agree that the better it looks the closer you get, the more it costs, and man does it cost.

Diamonds? have to balance the jeep spending with the wifes jewelry?
When I worked at the paint shop that was my job as well, I did all the pre-delivery inspection and you get to where just walking by a car in the lot, all the imperfections jump out at you, which is mainly why I said that you can't afford what you want especially if you can see the differences. Maybe I should have tossed in several handfuls of these to slow down the butthurt. : kiss:
Unread 12-04-2009, 09:00 PM   #22
TJunk
2005 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by lumpster View Post
its "ciao", and you've never seen blaines work i guess.
He would have to pull his head out of his *** first.
Unread 12-04-2009, 09:04 PM   #23
mrblaine
Web Wheeler

1999 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
well its been nice chatting with you blaine. i can see by your other post your are very smart (NOT), and make alot of friends on here. any way when people are trying to help someone you should keep to your self if your not going to try to help also., one day you will find you smart *** mouth is going to get you something you dont want. i can see that for sure. unlike you i have a life other then a keyboard mechanic that you are with 10k post it is very easy to see. what your lift is like. chao blaine.
Get in line. There's a plethora of internet cowboys threatening to give me something I don't want and you are certainly not the last or the best to do so.

Do you know what pregnancy is? It's the result of something taken seriously that was poked in fun. When are you due?

BTW- that was a joke. Something to lighten the mood. Comic relief.
Unread 12-04-2009, 09:04 PM   #24
larjeep
2006 LJ Wrangler 

wow. another smart one. sorry but its chao and ciao. yes i know you will look it up. i see you guys really like to play keyboard tag with each other, so have fun, im out good bye
Unread 12-04-2009, 09:09 PM   #25
MikeUnlimited04
2001 TJ Wrangler 

Blaine is probably one of the most notable people on this board and from what ive seen he is usually more than happy to share some of his experience and incite on a wide variety of subjects. He has helped many a Jeeper out and I am pretty damn sure he knows his way around a shop.

That said I think a 1k dollar paint job should be more than adequate for a TJ. Its a Jeep anyway =]
Just a tip, if you ever DO use Macco... do your own prep work. It wont really save you any money, but it ensures that you have a nice, clean, and well-prepped surface to slap on a coat of primer.

Silver JEEP Club Member #36
MikeUnlimited04 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-04-2009, 09:38 PM   #26
ijp4fun
2005 LJ Wrangler 

On a lighter note, remember the old Earl Scheib paint jobs ads "any car any color for $29.95". Now just a can of hardner or a gallon of reducer costs more. I think 1k should get you a decent 8 foot paint job.
Unread 12-04-2009, 10:44 PM   #27
lumpster
2013 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
wow. another smart one. sorry but its chao and ciao. yes i know you will look it up. i see you guys really like to play keyboard tag with each other, so have fun, im out good bye
oops, the russian, spanish, vietnamese version for "goodbye". i stand corrected!

Want to STOP?

Unread 12-04-2009, 11:02 PM   #28
JeffB
2006 WK 

I got an Earl Scheib $99 paint job on an old Ford Ranger back in about 1990. I was 16 years old and it was my first vehicle so I was very happy with it. It went from an ugly 10 year old truck to an ugly 10 year old truck with black paint on it. To further attest to the quality, they didn't even miss any spots. They painted right over the old decals for no extra charge.
JeffB is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-04-2009, 11:21 PM   #29
StockerD
1997 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrblaine View Post
Two rules for paint jobs.

You don't want the paint job you can afford and you can't afford the paint job you want.

Rule #2
When it comes to quality of paint jobs, please apply the 8 foot rule. Stand 8 feet away and observe little to no flaws. At 8' a 500 dollar paint job looks pretty good. To keep the rule in effect, figure about 500 bucks per foot you wish to move closer and observe similar flawless quality until you get to the last 2 feet. At that point, the price goes up to about 500 bucks per inch you wish to move closer with no observable flaws.

It's just like diamonds. A 1 carat SI is a lot cheaper than the same color cut and clarity of one VVSI.
I love the 8' rule. Thats why my hardtop looks so good!

I would just rattlecan it if I were you. Just make sure you prep it properly!

And thanks for being in Iraq! I'm joining the USCG soon so ill be over there with yah at some point
33'' Saveros
4'' Rough Country Lift[/I][/FONT]
[FONT="Comic Sans MS"]
"The winner isnt the one with the fastest car, Its the one who refuses to lose!" -Dale Earnhardt[/FONT][/CENTER]
StockerD is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-04-2009, 11:29 PM   #30
06WranglerX
2006 TJ Wrangler 

You are going to get two different quotes depending on what your looking for as stated throughout this post. Macco (SP?) does paint sprays for about 1K give or take this was a few years back IIRC, its not bad looks pretty good they prep paint ect my dad used them for his old 79 Bronco when I was a kid. If you go with a local shop that is good, has a quality paint booth it will cost you but it will be a big difference in quality if the shop is good but it will run ya some coin.

For a jeep the basic paint job makes sense I have been covering most of my metal in guards for what I wheel so I like rattle can lol. But if I re painted it I go the cheaper route since it is just gonna get scratched anyway in the end. Best of luck!

People need to be a little more trusting, Its not like we are on a convict and rapist forum.
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrblaine View Post
Upon further reflection I've decided I've had enough of this BS and you are now on my ignore list.

06 Red Wrangler X 6 speed hard top
Ford 8.8 Detroit locked, 4 inches of lift, 33 inch BFG KM2's and some other stuff.
06WranglerX is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.