Back-up sensor - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > Wrangler General Discussion > Back-up sensor

Currie Antirock, Currectlync & Lift Kits on Sale!Oconee Off-Road Free Shipping Lifts Tires Bumpers Tops andIntroducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed Line

Unread 06-25-2011, 03:23 PM   #1
asholik

Back-up sensor

I would like to add a back-up sensor to my 2011 2 door Wrangler---the type that warns the driver with an increasing frequency beep-beep alert when backing up. Can anyone recommend a make and model of such a unit. Thanks.
Andy H..

asholik is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-25-2011, 05:06 PM   #2
jmb6420
Engr. & Mechanic

2008 JK Wrangler 

Welcome to the forum Andy. I personally haven't ever used a backup sensor, but I've read good reviews on this:

http://www.quadratec.com/products/96...googlemerchant
08 Rubicon Red Jeep Club #629

"You can't fix stupid" Ron White

ˇɹǝʌo ǝɯ dıןɟ 'sıɥʇ pɐǝɹ uɐɔ noʎ ɟı
jmb6420 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-25-2011, 08:25 PM   #3
Prot
Web Wheeler

2014 JK Wrangler 

You would be much better served by a camera with the added benefit of making hooking up a trailer easier.
Unread 12-20-2011, 08:12 PM   #4
GJR
2006 TJ Wrangler 

I'd like to add back up sensors to my TJ but wonder if the spare tire would set it off. Any thoughts on that?
GJR is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-21-2011, 05:40 AM   #5
mdm
Farm Wheeler
2000 TJ Wrangler 

All of my vehicles have come with back-up sensor systems that have worked well when used properly.

Eyes, mirrors, and driver head swivel device (neck).

I can understand electronic back-up systems/cameras on large vehicles such as those Grayhound bus sized motor homes, but why do you need one on a vehicle as small as a two door Wrangler?
Unread 12-21-2011, 09:36 AM   #6
flying_bosun
2006 LJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by mdm
All of my vehicles have come with back-up sensor systems that have worked well when used properly.

I can understand electronic back-up systems/cameras on large vehicles such as those Grayhound bus sized motor homes, but why do you need one on a vehicle as small as a two door Wrangler?
Yeah, I thought the same way till that young gal pulled her mommy's little Lexus right up underneath my swing away with 35", gas cans, and cargo rack. Let's just say that mommy's little Lexus was never quite the same. I put in a backup camera a few days later...works great!
[URL="http://www.grimmjeeper.com/gears.html"][COLOR="Red"][SIZE="3"]Gear-Calculator[/SIZE][/COLOR][/URL] [URL="http://www.stu-offroad.com/siteindex.asp"][COLOR="White"][SIZE="3"]Stu Can Help You[/SIZE][/COLOR][/URL] [URL="http://www.berrysprinter.com/jeepparts.php"][COLOR="Blue"][SIZE="3"]Part Names and Numbers[/SIZE][/COLOR][/URL] [URL="http://www.wholesalemopar.com/"][SIZE="3"][COLOR="Red"]Dealer Supplied Parts and ask for "Jeep Club" Prices[/COLOR][/SIZE][/URL]

[QUOTE=Ron Paul]“Liberty is lost through complacency and a subservient mindset. When we accept or even welcome automobile checkpoints, random searches, mandatory identification cards, and paramilitary police in our streets, we have lost a vital part of our American heritage. America was born of protest, revolution, and mistrust of government. Subservient societies neither maintain nor deserve freedom for long.”
― Ron Paul[/QUOTE]

[CENTER][SIZE="5"]"Did [I]you[/I] exchange your walk-on part in the war for a lead role in a cage?"[/SIZE][/CENTER]
flying_bosun is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-22-2011, 03:04 AM   #7
GJR
2006 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by mdm View Post

I can understand why people would question this but for me, with it getting dark earlier, tinted windows, highback seat, coats, not being as vigilant as I should be (everytime) when using my head swivel device, its a feature I'd like to have.
Not to be morbid or over the top, but the real push for one is with a friend of a friend. Instead of it being mommy's little Lexus, it was mommy's little baby. She killed her baby. I'm a little freaked out. It's obvious how this could have been avoided but mommy's human as we all are and it was a trajic accident. Trajic accidents can happen to ANYBODY.
I know I'm not going to be as vigilant as I should be everytime because I too am a human and this would be a nice feature to have. My wife has one on her minivan and I really like it. My concern is wether or not the sensors would pick up the spare tire that hangs over the rear bumper by ten inches.
GJR is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-06-2012, 02:55 PM   #8
Hdlbrg72
2012 JK Wrangler 

Back-up Sensors

I'm with you on the utility of back-up sensors. They just might keep you from killing a child or backing into some low-profile obstacle that will cost you money in repairs/parts. I am installing back-up sensors right now on my 2012 JK Unlimited. The 4 sensors are temporarily attached while I figure out where they will best perform. So far I have found the they need to be 25" off the ground to avoid ground-clutter "beeps" and the two interior sensors must be 18" either side of center to avoid the profile of the spare tire. The 2 outside sensors are on the bumper corners. So far so good...
Hdlbrg72 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-06-2012, 05:53 PM   #9
jay-h
1989 YJ Wrangler 

The camera kits are cheap and easy to install. I did one on a van. camera mounted in the license frame.
jay-h is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.