Automatic vs. Manual - Page 4 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > Wrangler General Discussion > Automatic vs. Manual

RIGID LED Light Blowout Sale - All Sizes, All Series, all Truc-Lite LED Headlights! OCONEE OFF-ROAD 706-534-9955Jeep Wrangler Bushwacker Flat Fender Flare Sale at Baselin

Unread 08-29-2013, 10:19 PM   #46
Tom95YJ
[] Eye'd Jeep Connoisseur

1999 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by SunDevilJeeper

Some of the reasons you mentioned are the exact reason I switched back to my old Peterbilt, I was driving a Volvo before. The Volvo doesn't let you do anything, tries to think for you, and is a PITA to drive. The Peterbilt has a million switches and gauges on the dash, it only activates a function when I do it from the driver seat.

And at the same time, that's how I feel about cars too. I prefer to drive older vehicles that aren't filled with computer controlled stuff. I prefer to make the choices in a vehicle that is travelling 75mph down the highway, not some computer that can't see or hear. That's another reason I prefer manual transmissions.
I hear ya. That is why my DD is a 24 year old YJ. The only creature comforts it has are a center console with a nice padded armrest , radio and a hardtop with a good heater lol.

Unread 08-31-2013, 09:14 AM   #47
3X4X4
2006 TJ Wrangler 

I prefer a manual in a true sports car (of which very few are made today if any) but otherwise I want an Auto. Three years ago I was attacked by "sweet" and "wouldn't hurt anybody" pit bulls while riding my bicycle. this resulted in my femur being broken in four places and my hip. As a result, I am a little lame now (and a lot richer for it) and while I can do most things just fine, repeatedly pushing a heavy clutch would be a PITA.

J
3X4X4 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-31-2013, 09:52 AM   #48
wushaw
Rockin jeep

2000 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3X4X4
I prefer a manual in a true sports car (of which very few are made today if any) but otherwise I want an Auto. Three years ago I was attacked by "sweet" and "wouldn't hurt anybody" pit bulls while riding my bicycle. this resulted in my femur being broken in four places and my hip. As a result, I am a little lame now (and a lot richer for it) and while I can do most things just fine, repeatedly pushing a heavy clutch would be a PITA.

J
Heavy clutch? What did you drive that had a heavy clutch? They haven't made a heavy clutch in almost 30 years.
wushaw is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-31-2013, 11:21 AM   #49
wtfcrunch
1999 TJ Wrangler 

I'm assuming when you break the strongest bone in th body, what becomes heavy is very relative
wtfcrunch is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-31-2013, 01:47 PM   #50
SunDevilJeeper
1992 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom95YJ View Post
I hear ya. That is why my DD is a 24 year old YJ. The only creature comforts it has are a center console with a nice padded armrest , radio and a hardtop with a good heater lol.
I don't need to have luxuries and all this nice stuff, in fact I prefer not too because I lose focus and either stop paying attention, or I start falling asleep at the wheel. I don't like driving the Nissan I'm stuck in right now because it's boring to drive, and too quiet and smooth so to speak. AC sure as **** is nice on days like this though, hasn't been this humid out here in a while.

When I drive a Jeep, pickup, semi, or any other vehicle bigger than a sedan, I'm paying attention.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3X4X4 View Post

J
You have a perfectly good reason, more than just personal preference or opinion. But, if curiosity gets the best of you, you can always float the gears. As long as you don't grind or jump when you shift, it won't damage the transmission.

Still not enough power.
SunDevilJeeper is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-31-2013, 03:11 PM   #51
3X4X4
2006 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by wushaw View Post
Heavy clutch? What did you drive that had a heavy clutch? They haven't made a heavy clutch in almost 30 years.
I do not think you understand. There is a titanium rod, two plates, six screws and some wire in my leg. Trust me, to use a clutch, day in and day out, it would be heavy, too heavy and the Wrangler clutch while not "heavy" for normal legs is heavy compared to a Miata and requires more travel in my opinion. I prefer an Auto for DD use.

I am also 60 years old, I have owned Porsche, BMW M3, Fiat X-1/9, Triumph TR6, Mazda RX-7 and Toyotas and many vehicles with clutches and gears not to mention all the motorcycles. I am glad for my Rubicon being an Auto.

J
3X4X4 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-31-2013, 03:38 PM   #52
mrblaine
Wizard of Brakes

1999 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by SunDevilJeeper View Post
. AC sure as **** is nice on days like this though, hasn't been this humid out here in a while.
I don't know whose idea this humidity was, but they sure screwed that up.
Unread 08-31-2013, 04:51 PM   #53
wushaw
Rockin jeep

2000 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3X4X4

I do not think you understand. There is a titanium rod, two plates, six screws and some wire in my leg. Trust me, to use a clutch, day in and day out, it would be heavy, too heavy and the Wrangler clutch while not "heavy" for normal legs is heavy compared to a Miata and requires more travel in my opinion. I prefer an Auto for DD use.

I am also 60 years old, I have owned Porsche, BMW M3, Fiat X-1/9, Triumph TR6, Mazda RX-7 and Toyotas and many vehicles with clutches and gears not to mention all the motorcycles. I am glad for my Rubicon being an Auto.

J
Yea that's a good reason to drive an auto.

Your 60 and ya never drove a mechanical linkage pickup?
wushaw is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-31-2013, 10:55 PM   #54
SunDevilJeeper
1992 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrblaine View Post
I don't know whose idea this humidity was, but they sure screwed that up.
It was hell today, 8am till 7:30pm and the whole time I was sweating unbelievably. Even up in the high desert it was like this, fresh outta the shower and I was wet again as soon as I stepped out the door. Let's not even mention what it was like in Fontana and Ontario. Rancho Dominguez wasn't much better either.

Thank god I'm at a birthday party right now, god knows how many beers deep. After today? Yeah, it's beer thirty all night.

Still not enough power.
Unread 09-01-2013, 09:53 AM   #55
Xpress
1989 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3X4X4 View Post

J
True sports cars are all around, not looking hard enough. Hell I have one in my driveway

2ndly, pit bulls will behave how they are raised. I have friends whom have pit bulls that wouldn't hurt a fly and want nothing but affection. Then there are some who just want to kill everything that moves. All depends on the owner, bad habits can be left out of the learning process. But that's OT...

Lastly, as has been said before, what transmission you pick is entirely up to you. With so much work done to your leg, an auto sounds like the perfect match to you. It's all preference. Sports car, SUV, truck, etc. for me have to be a manual. My mind functions like it is consumed with ADHD on overdrive, so it's difficult to keep focused on the road with an auto for me. Not that I can't drive one perfectly fine, it's just more difficult.

-1989 Jeep Wrangler 2.5L, soon to be 5.2L
-1996 Jeep Grand Cherokar 5.2L, donor and rainy day driver
-2004 Kawasaki KLR650 sunny day driver
[QUOTE=mudsweatNgearz;21162729]Leave em off and weld an I beam on. Bumperetts just scream homo.[/QUOTE]
"A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the [B][I]RIGHT[/I][/B] of the people to keep and bear Arms, [B][I]SHALL NOT BE INFRINGED[/I][/B]."
Xpress is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-01-2013, 08:00 PM   #56
SunDevilJeeper
1992 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xpress View Post
My mind functions like it is consumed with ADHD on overdrive, so it's difficult to keep focused on the road with an auto for me. Not that I can't drive one perfectly fine, it's just more difficult.
Another argument of mine for preferring a manual.

Still not enough power.
Unread 09-01-2013, 08:33 PM   #57
mrblaine
Wizard of Brakes

1999 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by SunDevilJeeper View Post
Another argument of mine for preferring a manual.
Ya'll must not do any highway driving. I've driven across the state of Arizona from border to border on the lower route to Las Cruces before and outside of a pit stop for fuel and food, I wouldn't have downshifted once. At that point, is it just reading the little numbers on the shifter that keeps you occupied?
Unread 09-01-2013, 09:12 PM   #58
SunDevilJeeper
1992 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrblaine View Post
Ya'll must not do any highway driving. I've driven across the state of Arizona from border to border on the lower route to Las Cruces before and outside of a pit stop for fuel and food, I wouldn't have downshifted once. At that point, is it just reading the little numbers on the shifter that keeps you occupied?
You'd be surprised at how much I have to shift in the truck. It's a 10 speed, and my company decided it would be great to replace the stock turbo with a VGT. 46lbs of boost before at full throttle, now it's 23, sometimes 34. 30,000lbs in the trailer, and I'm downshifting two gears just to maintain highway speeds up an incline. That old Cummins had no problem pulling that much weight uphill in 10th gear before. Now it's got no balls, it's like driving a Freightliner now.

Now in the Jeep? It used to be a 4 banger, so same deal basically.

Now as for those times I'm just cruising and don't have to shift for a while? I entertain myself or listen to music. Usually involves playing with my balls and/or listening to Dropkick Murphys.

Still not enough power.
Unread 09-01-2013, 09:17 PM   #59
Jeep_Fanatic
2012 MK Compass 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mfrancis View Post
I'm looking at getting into the Jeep life. I'm looking at getting a JKU soon. Is there a big advantage to having a manual for off roading? It will be my DD as well as my toy, so I'm wondering what to get. And yes, I know how to drive a manual. Thanks.
manual, ignore those who say its hard to offroad with

and yes it has a huge advantage than automatic, i would type a list but im lazy right now
Unread 09-01-2013, 09:48 PM   #60
mrblaine
Wizard of Brakes

1999 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeep_Fanatic View Post
and yes it has a huge advantage than automatic, i would type a list but im lazy right now
Did you mean that a manual has a huge advantage over an auto? I'm guessing you did and if so, I'd be very interested in seeing it. Need to liven this thread back up a bit.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.