Automatic vs. Manual - Page 2 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > Wrangler General Discussion > Automatic vs. Manual

ExtremeTerrain GROUP BUY: Barricade Rear Bumpers/Tire Carr*VOTE NOW Help Metalcloak Giveaway an XJ Suspension*WJ Tube Doors Now Available!

Unread 08-24-2013, 10:37 AM   #16
bogleparsons
2013 JK Wrangler 

If you have a new Jeep you with the Hill assist it makes the manual much easier on rocks

Unread 08-24-2013, 11:03 AM   #17
Filthy-Beast
Web Wheeler

2006 LJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jankoid View Post
It's not a misconception. It feels different. In an auto I always felt like I was being pushed downhill and had to counteract it with the brakes. You can compression brake with an auto, but not nearly as well, at least in my experience anyway.
One of the advantages of Rubicon + auto that does not get mentioned a lot, is that 1st is much lower with the Rubi transfer case. You can engine brake without that feeling that its going too fast down hill.

For Sale: 2013 4dr JK Painted black Hard Top JKUR 18/59 springs and shocks

97 TJ: daughter 1 - 2.5L, Auto, 2" BB, 31" GY Duratrac
98 TJ: Daugher 2 - 4.0L, 5spd, D44 rear
06 LJ Rubicon: mine - Rokmen full up-armor, 8 adjustable CAs, front bumper, sliders, corners, Shrockworks rear bumper, 3" AEV/BDS lift, Currie HD stearing and Antirock, MT/r - k 35x12.5, SuperWinch, MC Overlines, York OBA
13 JKU Rubicon: Wife's for now, Ace Rock rails & rear bumper tire carrier, Truck Lites, MC Game changer 3.5 lift, RR skids, PSC Brawler front bumper, Warn 9.5cti-s, 35" GY MTRs
Filthy-Beast is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-24-2013, 12:31 PM   #18
jay-h
1989 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyTrails View Post
For off-road (i.e. rock crawling), an auto is fantastic, unless you have three feet and can work a manual like magic.

I grew up on manuals...love the control you have over it. But on the rocks, an auto actually rocks (no pun intended).

Most off-roading is done at slow speeds. As they say, "As slow as possible, as fast as necessary."

I'm sure others will chime in with more in-depth advice or strong opinions to the contrary. But that is what this forum is for....thoughtful discussion.
I'm with you on this one. I got my first manual car in '67. And my CJ2A is, of course manual. However when you are crawling, a torque converter is a very nice thing to have. You can crawl all day in conditions that would be very wearing on a clutch.

wife's toys
97 Grand Cherokee (ZJ)
87 MB 560SL roadster
jay-h is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-24-2013, 01:55 PM   #19
Mfrancis
2014 JK Wrangler 

Good info everybody. I'm new to all this, so I didn't know if there was something I was missing. For the money I'm getting ready to spend, I want to make the right decision.
Black 2014 JKU Sport S, 6 speed manual, 3.73 rear end, 2.5" AEV Dualsport XT w/ Bilstein 5100s, 255/75/17 Goodyear Wrangler A/T, Rubicon rock rails, front grill mesh mod, Jeep door sill guards, matte black Jeep grill emblem, matte black exhaust, Synrgy upper and lower bolt swap(highly recommend), tires pending...
Mfrancis is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-24-2013, 02:04 PM   #20
jay-h
1989 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mfrancis View Post
Good info everybody. I'm new to all this, so I didn't know if there was something I was missing. For the money I'm getting ready to spend, I want to make the right decision.
No matter which you choose, there will be good and bad points. You won't go wrong.

wife's toys
97 Grand Cherokee (ZJ)
87 MB 560SL roadster
jay-h is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-24-2013, 02:30 PM   #21
ktw23
2002 TJ Wrangler 

I have only driven manual wranglers (YJ&TJ) and always had fun driving them. There is only been a few times while in traffic that I wished I had an auto and since I don't play in the rocks, having a manual is perfect for offroading. If I went ever got a jk I would most likely get an auto but only if it was the newer 5 speed auto
Just Empty Every Pocket
ktw23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-24-2013, 04:39 PM   #22
WranglerBrunei

Well, Well, Well....

I have just taken delivery of my brand new AUTOMATIC JKU Sahara just 2weeks ago (04/2013 production)
Am just having lots of fun. I was contemplating between an auto/manual too months back.
The new autobox now comes with the tiptronic, and i love it. I can still play thru the gears whenever i like.
Autobox is a must for the new model, coz it's mated to an ultra smooth ultra modern V6 Pentastar Engine.
(Only Petrol versions are offered in my country).

Cheers
WranglerBrunei is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-24-2013, 04:57 PM   #23
ktw23
2002 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by WranglerBrunei View Post
Well, Well, Well....

I have just taken delivery of my brand new AUTOMATIC JKU Sahara just 2weeks ago (04/2013 production)
Am just having lots of fun. I was contemplating between an auto/manual too months back.
The new autobox now comes with the tiptronic, and i love it. I can still play thru the gears whenever i like.
Autobox is a must for the new model, coz it's mated to an ultra smooth ultra modern V6 Pentastar Engine.
(Only Petrol versions are offered in my country).

Cheers
Congrats on the new jeep!
Just Empty Every Pocket
ktw23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-25-2013, 06:08 PM   #24
rubiconrich
2004 TJ Wrangler 

I think there is a group of Wrangler drivers out there that chose manual over automatic for another reason not mentioned and I am one of them. Prior to owning my 04 Rubicon, I was driving a Eldorado that had automatic everything. I was sick and tired of every choice being made for me. It was an awesome car but I got to thinking...what can I buy "new" that is manual and where I get to make all the choices? I remembered when I grew up that most cars were standard and I wanted to feel that feeling again. The only vehicle that fits the bill of being back in time was a Wrangler stick shift. With it came window cranks, gauges, etc. Because of the aforementioned reasons, I will never get rid of my jeep. I chose wisely as I grew up in a different generation.
rubiconrich is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-25-2013, 08:19 PM   #25
Loadsmasher
1999 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by rubiconrich View Post
I think there is a group of Wrangler drivers out there that chose manual over automatic for another reason not mentioned and I am one of them. Prior to owning my 04 Rubicon, I was driving a Eldorado that had automatic everything. I was sick and tired of every choice being made for me. It was an awesome car but I got to thinking...what can I buy "new" that is manual and where I get to make all the choices? I remembered when I grew up that most cars were standard and I wanted to feel that feeling again. The only vehicle that fits the bill of being back in time was a Wrangler stick shift. With it came window cranks, gauges, etc. Because of the aforementioned reasons, I will never get rid of my jeep. I chose wisely as I grew up in a different generation.
Shoot, I bought my 5 speed for this reason and I'm not even 25.
Unread 08-25-2013, 08:42 PM   #26
jjvw
Hipster Jeep

2003 TJ Wrangler 

I think this desire for control is along the same lines as wanting to be entertained by the vehicle. Shifting through gears (with a clutch!) is fun partly because I get to make the decisions. They are often the right decisions or sometimes the wrong decisions, and the vehicle responds accordingly. Automatics, despite their advantages, don't give you that element of liveliness. Triptronic or paddles just aren't the same.
Unread 08-25-2013, 09:34 PM   #27
Squint77

2005 LJ Wrangler 

You can still lock the auto in 1st and then switch to 2nd or 3rd... I prefer the auto for many reasons and all 5 of the guys I run with have autos as well.
Imagine yourself on a ledge and trying to do a 3 point turn. The auto is much safer in this regard. Also, when going over large rocks, the engine won't konk out when you need to stop. I learned to wheel with a manual, and while it can be more fun sometimes, I am not sure I agree that you get more control. IMO, autos are safer, more practical, and better all around for offroading.
Unread 08-25-2013, 09:39 PM   #28
jjvw
Hipster Jeep

2003 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Squint77 View Post
Imagine yourself on a ledge and trying to do a 3 point turn. The auto is much safer in this regard.
Hand throttle. No need to imagine :-)

And like I said earlier, I won't argue that autos aren't functionally better. In many cases they are. But better isn't always more fun. Locking an auto in 1st/2nd really isn't the same. I have wheeled with an automatic. I didn't care for it because it took away some of the driving challenge. But in the end, this is a discussion of preferences. This is an old debate and in the end the automatics are going to win. That being said, I like my Jeep because it is primitive, mechanical and silly compared to most other modern vehicles. The manual only makes it more so.
Unread 08-25-2013, 10:38 PM   #29
AlbertaJeeper
2013 JK Wrangler 

After having driven both (although not a crazy amount with auto off road) I really prefer the stick. It has not stopped me from accomplishing an obstacle, just maybe requires a little more planning. I always hear the "3 feet" argument, but in 4 low I can start up to 3rd or 4th without the gas, 1st or 2nd doesn't even require effort! I just figured a stick seemed right for a Jeep, that's why I went with it!
AlbertaJeeper is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-25-2013, 10:59 PM   #30
Xpress
1989 YJ Wrangler 

Pick your poison and roll with it. Neither is better on or offroad, not nowadays. With a proper setup, you can do anything with either.
-2004 Kawasaki KLR650 sunny day driver
[QUOTE=mudsweatNgearz;21162729]Leave em off and weld an I beam on. Bumperetts just scream homo.[/QUOTE]
"A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the [B][I]RIGHT[/I][/B] of the people to keep and bear Arms, [B][I]SHALL NOT BE INFRINGED[/I][/B]."
Xpress is offline   Reply With Quote

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.