Automatic vs. Manual - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > Wrangler General Discussion > Automatic vs. Manual

TeraFlex Now at Rockridge 4WD! BEST DEALS around!Alloy usa heavy duty ball joint kitsENGO QUADLUX 6" to 54" LED AMBER AND WHITE MULTI

Unread 08-23-2013, 11:35 PM   #1
Mfrancis
2014 JK Wrangler 

Automatic vs. Manual

I'm looking at getting into the Jeep life. I'm looking at getting a JKU soon. Is there a big advantage to having a manual for off roading? It will be my DD as well as my toy, so I'm wondering what to get. And yes, I know how to drive a manual. Thanks.

Mfrancis is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-24-2013, 12:04 AM   #2
HappyTrails
Registered Voter w/ID

2008 JK Wrangler 

For off-road (i.e. rock crawling), an auto is fantastic, unless you have three feet and can work a manual like magic.

I grew up on manuals...love the control you have over it. But on the rocks, an auto actually rocks (no pun intended).

Most off-roading is done at slow speeds. As they say, "As slow as possible, as fast as necessary."

I'm sure others will chime in with more in-depth advice or strong opinions to the contrary. But that is what this forum is for....thoughtful discussion.
"Don't give up 5 minutes before the miracle occurs."
HappyTrails is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-24-2013, 01:47 AM   #3
JeeperSC
2008 JK Wrangler 

Manuals are more fun to drive . IMO if your looking for performance and reliability automatics are the way to go. Drive both and pick which your happier with
Unread 08-24-2013, 01:55 AM   #4
wtfcrunch
1999 TJ Wrangler 

I love manual Jeeps I feel that's the way they were supposed to be but that's just my personal opinion. Off roading is where you will hear both sides. I agree that rock climbing is better in an auto for sure.
wtfcrunch is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-24-2013, 04:10 AM   #5
bogleparsons
2013 JK Wrangler 

I too love a manual for the fun of shifting.

Auto would be nice off-road sometimes though.
Unread 08-24-2013, 04:46 AM   #6
Jankoid
2002 TJ Wrangler 

I hate autos personally, they are boring. I don't like them offroad either. I feel much more in-control of the rig with the manual, and you don't need 3 feet to drive one unless you just don't know what the hell you are doing. The main thing I dislike about the auto when offroad is that you are over-reliant on your brakes. I would much rather compression brake down a hill than rely solely on manual brakes. The only advantage that an auto really has is that you can't stall it, but I rarely stall my manual anyway so that is no benefit to me. The auto is definitely easier to learn and is basically stupid-proof, but I know I wouldn't enjoy my Jeep nearly as much if it was an auto. How do I know that? My first TJ was an auto, and now all of my current Jeeps (LJ, TJ, and MJ) are manuals.
Jankoid is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-24-2013, 05:59 AM   #7
Filthy-Beast
2006 LJ Wrangler 

I have both, I like both, manual more fun but you can chew up throw-out bearings if you play in muddy water holes a lot. Auto easy and can shift in water and mud holes. Auto more expensive to fix. I do not use brakes any more in the auto than I do with the manual on hills. Put it in 1 and let it engine brake down the hill.

[COLOR="red"][B]For Sale:[/B][/COLOR] [URL="http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f129/jk-4dr-black-painted-hard-top-1000-a-1541186/"][COLOR="Blue"]2013 4dr JK Painted black Hard Top[/COLOR][/URL] [URL="http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f127/jkur-18-59-springs-shocks-1557427/"][COLOR="Purple"]JKUR 18/59 springs and shocks[/COLOR][/URL]

[SIZE="1"][B]97 TJ:[/B] daughter 1 - 2.5L, Auto, 2" BB, 31" GY Duratrac
[B]98 TJ:[/B] Daugher 2 - 4.0L, 5spd, D44 rear
[B]06 LJ Rubicon:[/B] mine - Rokmen full up-armor, 8 adjustable CAs, front bumper, sliders, corners, Shrockworks rear bumper, 3" AEV/BDS lift, Currie HD stearing and Antirock, MT/r - k 35x12.5, SuperWinch, MC Overlines, York OBA
[B]13 JKU Rubicon:[/B] Wife's for now, Ace Rock rails & rear bumper tire carrier, Truck Lites, MC Game changer 3.5 lift, RR skids, PSC Brawler front bumper, Warn 9.5cti-s, 35" GY MTRs[/SIZE]
Filthy-Beast is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-24-2013, 06:08 AM   #8
Mfrancis
2014 JK Wrangler 

Thanks everybody. Also, what's the point of the hill assist if you have an auto. I can see the point for a manual, but don't see the point in an auto.
Black 2014 JKU Sport S, 6 speed manual, 3.73 rear end, 2.5" AEV Dualsport XT w/ Bilstein 5100s, 255/75/17 Goodyear Wrangler A/T, Rubicon rock rails, front grill mesh mod, Jeep door sill guards, matte black Jeep grill emblem, matte black exhaust, Synrgy upper and lower bolt swap(highly recommend), tires pending...

Last edited by Mfrancis; 08-24-2013 at 07:27 AM..
Mfrancis is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-24-2013, 07:16 AM   #9
4x4jkx
2012 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Filthy-Beast View Post
I have both, I like both, manual more fun but you can chew up throw-out bearings if you play in muddy water holes a lot. Auto easy and can shift in water and mud holes. Auto more expensive to fix. I do not use brakes any more in the auto than I do with the manual on hills. Put it in 1 and let it engine brake down the hill.
You can shift in mud holes in a manual as well, it's just more of a pain in the rear. You have to first turn the jeep off, then shift without depressing the clutch pedal, and then start the jeep in that gear, again without depressing the clutch. Also, this only works in 4lo, because the clutch interlock is disabled in 4lo.

Both of my jeeps have been manuals, I get bored in automatics very quickly. Because of the extra difficulty in gear changing in water for a manual, it requires the operator to plan a little before jumping in water which may be potentially more hazardous than you think at first glance. This has honestly saved me in a couple of occasions from drowning the engine because I'm forced to take a few extra seconds to evaluate an obstacle.

Ultimately, it books down to user preference.
4x4jkx is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-24-2013, 07:26 AM   #10
Filthy-Beast
2006 LJ Wrangler 

Water would be fine it's the muddy silt and grit that still get in the bell housing and slowly chew up the bearings.

[COLOR="red"][B]For Sale:[/B][/COLOR] [URL="http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f129/jk-4dr-black-painted-hard-top-1000-a-1541186/"][COLOR="Blue"]2013 4dr JK Painted black Hard Top[/COLOR][/URL] [URL="http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f127/jkur-18-59-springs-shocks-1557427/"][COLOR="Purple"]JKUR 18/59 springs and shocks[/COLOR][/URL]

[SIZE="1"][B]97 TJ:[/B] daughter 1 - 2.5L, Auto, 2" BB, 31" GY Duratrac
[B]98 TJ:[/B] Daugher 2 - 4.0L, 5spd, D44 rear
[B]06 LJ Rubicon:[/B] mine - Rokmen full up-armor, 8 adjustable CAs, front bumper, sliders, corners, Shrockworks rear bumper, 3" AEV/BDS lift, Currie HD stearing and Antirock, MT/r - k 35x12.5, SuperWinch, MC Overlines, York OBA
[B]13 JKU Rubicon:[/B] Wife's for now, Ace Rock rails & rear bumper tire carrier, Truck Lites, MC Game changer 3.5 lift, RR skids, PSC Brawler front bumper, Warn 9.5cti-s, 35" GY MTRs[/SIZE]
Filthy-Beast is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-24-2013, 08:32 AM   #11
Chest_Rockwell
2006 LJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jankoid View Post
The main thing I dislike about the auto when offroad is that you are over-reliant on your brakes. I would much rather compression brake down a hill than rely solely on manual brakes.
That is a common misconception. I compression brake just fine in my auto going down hill.
Chest_Rockwell is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-24-2013, 08:38 AM   #12
Jankoid
2002 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chest_Rockwell View Post

That is a common misconception. I compression brake just fine in my auto going down hill.
It's not a misconception. It feels different. In an auto I always felt like I was being pushed downhill and had to counteract it with the brakes. You can compression brake with an auto, but not nearly as well, at least in my experience anyway.
Jankoid is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-24-2013, 09:39 AM   #13
Chest_Rockwell
2006 LJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jankoid View Post
It's not a misconception. It feels different. In an auto I always felt like I was being pushed downhill and had to counteract it with the brakes. You can compression brake with an auto, but not nearly as well, at least in my experience anyway.
Do you put the trans (auto) in first? I assume that you have the t-case in 4-Lo.

By misconception, I was referring to the auto / manual brake compression. Best to my knowledge it makes no difference. The gearing in the trans, t-case, and diffs is what makes the difference with downhill engine braking.
Chest_Rockwell is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-24-2013, 09:43 AM   #14
tjty11
2006 TJ Wrangler 

for offroading i would go with an auto.
tjty11 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-24-2013, 09:43 AM   #15
jjvw
Hipster Jeep

2003 TJ Wrangler 

I will easily concede that an automatic might functionally be better in many driving applications-- possibly most in this day and age. However, if I want to be entertained by my vehicles, then I want a manual. Having fun isn't always about doing things the best or most efficiency way.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.