Auto-dim/Temp. & Direction Mirror - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > Wrangler General Discussion > Auto-dim/Temp. & Direction Mirror

ANOTHER Rockridge4wd Creation!! Spare Tire Carrier Delete Cess Recovery Gear Snatch Tow Strap OffRoad @ ROCKRIDGE4WD15 x 8 Black D-Window Steel Wheels Set of 4

Unread 10-25-2008, 02:50 AM   #1
DRT_TOY

Auto-dim/Temp. & Direction Mirror

I just bought an 06 Rubicon. It does not have the auto dim mirror with the directional compass and the temperature in it. I was wanting to know if it's possible to buy one and put it in? I have asked two Jeep dealerships, one said yes that it's possible but it would be expensive, and the other dealership said that it's not possible because the compass would malfunction due to the Jeep not having some part that the compass reads off of? I mean... can they not install that either or something...? Does anybody know anything about this.
Thanks

DRT_TOY is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-25-2008, 03:12 AM   #2
06camarodude
1988 YJ Wrangler 

Get a GPS and check the weather channel. That mirror is simply another one of those things that, while it may seem useful, getting a better compass and thermometer will get you better results, and will also be cheaper. It's not worth the hassle, IMO. I would just get a decent GPS for the thing, they can be had for decent prices now, and most of them display your direction of travel. Even the one built into the mirror is pretty much useless for anything but getting a general idea of which direction you're going. I usually take an actual compass with me when I know I'm going to need it, and I can generally tell how cold it is outside without having to get in my Jeep to look at a display. lol

It's all up to you. Is it worth it (to you) to pay what could be bug bucks for a (mediocre at best) stock unit, or go for the gold and get a real compass and thermometer?

Quote:
Originally Posted by elsapo View Post
"Do not judge, or you too will be judged." Matthew 7:1
Quote:
Originally Posted by AustinTJer View Post
That's a pretty decent crawl ratio, tell Matthew congrats. :2thumbsup:
06camarodude is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-25-2008, 03:30 AM   #3
DRT_TOY

I know I know... that's what all my friends say to get. I have seen them in peoples cars and IMO I think they just look big and annoying, like it'd get in the way of things lol.
Unread 10-25-2008, 01:42 PM   #4
Nick B
2006 TJ Wrangler 

My 06 came with one. They're junk. For the money get a GPS and hard mount.
Nick B is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-25-2008, 01:49 PM   #5
Luckyduck
1999 TJ Wrangler 

I have my GPS mount above the rear view mirror. It does not get in the way. I however had never used my GPS there. I just got it last weekend and it has stayed on the motorcycle. I also do not want to know how cold it is outside because I drive topless year round and it seems warmer if I don't know

CentralMass4wd.com

1993 Ranger 2wd - dd
1999 wranger 2.5 - it gets used for something
1978 international scout - being built
1998 Cherokee sport 4.0 auto
1957 CJ5 - restoring back to stock http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/showt...54#post5168554
Bikes:2000 Ducati Monster 900: 2001 CBR 600 F4i: 1980 CB 900
my build http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f9/my-build-thread-those-us-low-budgets-550786/
Luckyduck is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-25-2008, 10:05 PM   #6
Rob99
You come back...one year!

2003 TJ Wrangler 

http://www.jeepsareus.com/Merchant2/...Category_Code=
Rob99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-26-2008, 02:25 AM   #7
DRT_TOY

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob99 View Post
Robb... did you buy this off the website? What's it mean by "Plugs into your existing wiring?" I don't have the multifunction mirror, so I don't know what wiring it's all talking about... does this one display both temp & direction?
Unread 10-26-2008, 03:40 PM   #8
Rob99
You come back...one year!

2003 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by DRT_TOY View Post
Robb... did you buy this off the website? What's it mean by "Plugs into your existing wiring?" I don't have the multifunction mirror, so I don't know what wiring it's all talking about... does this one display both temp & direction?
No I didn't. I have a sahara so it came with the autodimming mirror. I just posted it to give you an idea of how much it costs.
If i'm not mistaken, all TJ's come prewired for that mirror but I'm not positive.

Yes that looks like the one I have. It gives you the temperature and direction. Like everyone else has said, it's a "nice to have" but i'm not sure I'd spend $400 for it aftermarket.
Rob99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-26-2008, 03:48 PM   #9
JeepGuyBrian
2011 JK Wrangler 

https://www.quadratec.com/products/93011_901.htm

Usually Quad or 4wd have the install directions on the product page (in the form of a .pdf link), but neither one have it for this mirror. Quad has the best price for the mirror at $199. They both just say "Power and temperature sensors must be wired" and that install should take less than an hour. I'm not sure if the harness is there or not... I would think it is. Your Dealer should know...

But, like everyone says, spending $200 on this is a complete waste of money - I have a Garmin Nuvi, for the same price, and would never go back... You don't really think you need one until you have one and get use to having it. Extremely handy. Your $200 mirror won't tell you where the nearest gas station or subway is when the need arises...

Good luck!
JeepGuyBrian is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-27-2008, 04:20 PM   #10
Zeep
2005 LJ Wrangler 

My 05 Rubicon has the temp sensor in the grill, plus a small harness under the defroster grate on top of the dash.
I do not have the mirror option, but will keep a eye out for a used one, from the bone yard.
I e-mailed the folks at Davey's jeep . com, and they were asking $125.00 for used one. Still a little too much
for me,considering the cost of a basic GPS. For me it's the conveince factor, of the mirror, plus less likley
to be stolen than a GPS
Zeep is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-27-2008, 04:32 PM   #11
jackbauersmom
2006 LJ Wrangler 

if still interested i would check ebay, craigslist, and the local junkyard. it's easy to check if your jeep is prewired, just have to pop off the defroster grate. i don't believe all jeeps came prewired either. and from my understanding, it does not have to be a jeep mirror, you could get one from a chevy and hook it up. not sure why everyone is knocking them, i want one because headlights are a ***** at night. but yeah the temp. and compass is a piece.

indyORV
treadlightly
jackbauersmom is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.