Anyone looking for a TJ Dana 44 rear axle? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > Wrangler General Discussion > Anyone looking for a TJ Dana 44 rear axle?

FS: Wrangler RGB Multicolor Fog Light LEDs: Awesome EffectFS: 2007-2013 Jeep Wrangler "HALO" Angel Eye KitRockridge 4WD IS Taking Zone Offroad Suspension Lift Kits

Unread 07-29-2008, 02:57 PM   #1
Wheelin98TJ
JEEP FREAK

1998 TJ Wrangler 

Anyone looking for a TJ Dana 44 rear axle?

Just thought I'd share a pretty good deal I found.

4.56 geared TJ Dana 44 for $650:

http://www.greatlakes4x4.com/showthread.php?t=98799

I am not affiliated with the seller in any way. Just passing along what appears to be a good deal.

The axle is in SW Michigan.

Wheelin98TJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-29-2008, 06:28 PM   #2
panathinaikos55
1997 TJ Wrangler 

I saw a set of D30/D35's for sale on there as well with 4.10's for $300. I figured this would be a cheaper and easier fix than regearing my 3.07's. Does that seem like a pretty good deal, or do you think you a better deal could be found?
panathinaikos55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-29-2008, 06:37 PM   #3
Cheese1

Paid $600 to have the 410s installed in mine (both axles) plus had to buy a carrier..........so do it
Cheese1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-29-2008, 06:40 PM   #4
panathinaikos55
1997 TJ Wrangler 

How hard is it to swap front and rear axles? How much would something like this cost? I assume it would be cheaper than a $1K gear swap..
Unread 07-30-2008, 06:26 AM   #5
Wheelin98TJ
JEEP FREAK

1998 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by panathinaikos55 View Post
How hard is it to swap front and rear axles? How much would something like this cost? I assume it would be cheaper than a $1K gear swap..
Its pretty easy. If you have basic tools and a driveway, you can do it yourself.

If you took it to a shop, I'd guess around 8 hours of labor according to the books. So probably in the range of $600-700 to have a shop do it.

An experienced person could do it in 3-4 hours. Where you at in Michigan?
Unread 07-30-2008, 11:07 AM   #6
panathinaikos55
1997 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wheelin98TJ View Post
Its pretty easy. If you have basic tools and a driveway, you can do it yourself.

If you took it to a shop, I'd guess around 8 hours of labor according to the books. So probably in the range of $600-700 to have a shop do it.

An experienced person could do it in 3-4 hours. Where you at in Michigan?
I live in Lansing. I just found out they are YJ axles though, not sure what it would take to convert them to fit under my TJ.
Unread 07-30-2008, 07:43 PM   #7
CHRRRIS
1997 TJ Wrangler 

Aww man, I was all ready to contact the seller until the thread opened up and said *sold* in the title...

BTW pana, I swapped my D30/35 for others with 4.56s and it took me and an experienced Jeeper a few days because the front wheel u-joints required replacing, and we went ahead and replaced all the brake components.. It really is not too bad, but when you start taking stuff apart, you start noticing stuff that needs to be replaced...

Current - '98 Black Z28 with some goodies
Previous - '97 Gun Metal Blue TJ

Northern Illinois Extreme Jeep Club
www.ExtremeJeepClub.com
CHRRRIS is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-31-2008, 06:59 AM   #8
panathinaikos55
1997 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by CHRRRIS View Post
Aww man, I was all ready to contact the seller until the thread opened up and said *sold* in the title...

BTW pana, I swapped my D30/35 for others with 4.56s and it took me and an experienced Jeeper a few days because the front wheel u-joints required replacing, and we went ahead and replaced all the brake components.. It really is not too bad, but when you start taking stuff apart, you start noticing stuff that needs to be replaced...
CHRRRIS...I just checked this morning, and they are still for sale... Here is the link if you are still interested...

http://www.greatlakes4x4.com/showthread.php?t=98769

I'd do it, but I have no idea how to swap axles, and since they are YJ axles, I'm sure it will be even more difficult of a swap for a TJ.
Unread 07-31-2008, 07:38 AM   #9
Wheelin98TJ
JEEP FREAK

1998 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by panathinaikos55 View Post
I live in Lansing. I just found out they are YJ axles though, not sure what it would take to convert them to fit under my TJ.
You would have to cut off the YJ brackets and weld on brackets for the TJ coil and link suspension.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CHRRRIS View Post
Aww man, I was all ready to contact the seller until the thread opened up and said *sold* in the title... ...
Sorry, I told someone else in a thread in the TJ tech forum and I think they jumped on it.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.