Anyone bother to adjust headlights after a lift? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > Wrangler General Discussion > Anyone bother to adjust headlights after a lift?

Labor Day Sale!FS: 2007-2013 Jeep Wrangler "HALO" Angel Eye KitEngo winches available at www.rockridge4wd.com! Free shipp

Unread 07-14-2012, 12:16 PM   #1
paul84043
2012 JK Wrangler 

Anyone bother to adjust headlights after a lift?

I have noticed that since I lifted/leveled my Jeep I'm really blasting people's rear view mirrors and have even got flashed a couple times.
I know the Wranglers are not exactly well known for headlights that will strip paint, so just wondering if anyone bothered to, or felt the need to adjust their headlights after a lift??

paul84043 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-14-2012, 12:39 PM   #2
uncleroman
1999 TJ Wrangler 

every tj i have ridden since i bought mine have been way out of adjustment. adjusted mine and the lighting is better than our yukon
uncleroman is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-14-2012, 01:22 PM   #3
flying2275
2004 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by paul84043 View Post
I have noticed that since I lifted/leveled my Jeep I'm really blasting people's rear view mirrors and have even got flashed a couple times.
I know the Wranglers are not exactly well known for headlights that will strip paint, so just wondering if anyone bothered to, or felt the need to adjust their headlights after a lift??
Yes you need to adjust your headlights after a lift unless you like being a ******* to everyone else on the road. Sorry but this is a big pet peeve of mine.
flying2275 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-14-2012, 01:58 PM   #4
Make mine a Jeep!

2012 JK Wrangler 

It makes a difference with properly adjusted headlights. They are very easy to adjust on the JKs and well worth the effort.
1222 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-15-2012, 11:48 AM   #5
paul84043
2012 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1222 View Post
It makes a difference with properly adjusted headlights. They are very easy to adjust on the JKs and well worth the effort.
I'm well aware of how to do it, just have not heard a single person ever mention it while talking about lifts.
It DOES make sense and I'll most likely do it here pretty quick.... I don't like being a D-Bag, I like to think of myself as a fairly conscientious driver...

The headlights on the 2012 were very different than the '10 anyway, so I guess it's time to get it done.
Unread 07-15-2012, 12:35 PM   #6
Make mine a Jeep!

2012 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by paul84043 View Post
I'm well aware of how to do it,...
My post wasn’t directed to anyone in particular it was just for those that might not know.
1222 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-15-2012, 02:08 PM   #7
flying_bosun
2006 LJ Wrangler 

I'm going against the grain on this one; I say that if the lift doesn't effect the rake, then there's no reason to adjust the headlights.
[URL="http://www.grimmjeeper.com/gears.html"][COLOR="Red"][SIZE="3"]Gear-Calculator[/SIZE][/COLOR][/URL] [URL="http://www.stu-offroad.com/siteindex.asp"][COLOR="White"][SIZE="3"]Stu Can Help You[/SIZE][/COLOR][/URL] [URL="http://www.berrysprinter.com/jeepparts.php"][COLOR="Blue"][SIZE="3"]Part Names and Numbers[/SIZE][/COLOR][/URL] [URL="http://www.wholesalemopar.com/"][SIZE="3"][COLOR="Red"]Dealer Supplied Parts and ask for "Jeep Club" Prices[/COLOR][/SIZE][/URL]

[QUOTE=Ron Paul]“Liberty is lost through complacency and a subservient mindset. When we accept or even welcome automobile checkpoints, random searches, mandatory identification cards, and paramilitary police in our streets, we have lost a vital part of our American heritage. America was born of protest, revolution, and mistrust of government. Subservient societies neither maintain nor deserve freedom for long.”
― Ron Paul[/QUOTE]

[CENTER][SIZE="5"]"Did [I]you[/I] exchange your walk-on part in the war for a lead role in a cage?"[/SIZE][/CENTER]
flying_bosun is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-15-2012, 09:31 PM   #8
baritone_mike
1988 YJ Wrangler 

I put my lift on and never adjusted the head lights, but I also don't know how they were before the lift. I was going to but the first time I drove it the lights worked better then they did when it was stock, I also don't get any body flashing at me, but I think that is because the drivers side is aimed at the sholder? (you can see the beams in the fog). If you leave more room between you and the person in front of you at stop lights it should not be a problem, and that goes for any vehicle.
Unread 07-15-2012, 09:55 PM   #9
uncleroman
1999 TJ Wrangler 

every wrangler i have riden in stock or lifted needed adjustment.
uncleroman is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-15-2012, 09:55 PM   #10
Williamlv282
2010 JK Wrangler 

Everytime I see a lifted truck in front of me, I go blind. All these jerks go get their Tacomas lifted and point halogen bulbs in my face. Very annoying. I say adjust them!
Williamlv282 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-15-2012, 10:14 PM   #11
Xpress
1989 YJ Wrangler 

They need to be adjusted, this newer idiocracy doesn't ever think anything through, and HID's just make it worse- when confronted they normally get incredibly defensive. You on the other hand are at least acknowledging the fact that your lights are no longer in factory adjustment. Some guys are still in bewilderment as to why I melted their eyeballs out of their head with my 55w HID spotlights. They're the ones who are blinding everyone on the road.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Williamlv282 View Post
Everytime I see a lifted truck in front of me, I go blind. All these jerks go get their Tacomas lifted and point halogen bulbs in my face. Very annoying. I say adjust them!
A stock Tacoma has headlights that are aimed a bit too high from the factory. Not sure if they can be adjusted.

-1989 Jeep Wrangler 2.5L, soon to be 5.2L
-1996 Jeep Grand Cherokar 5.2L, donor and rainy day driver
-2004 Kawasaki KLR650 sunny day driver
[QUOTE=mudsweatNgearz;21162729]Leave em off and weld an I beam on. Bumperetts just scream homo.[/QUOTE]
"A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the [B][I]RIGHT[/I][/B] of the people to keep and bear Arms, [B][I]SHALL NOT BE INFRINGED[/I][/B]."
Xpress is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-15-2012, 11:44 PM   #12
flying_bosun
2006 LJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xpress View Post
They need to be adjusted, this newer idiocracy doesn't ever think anything through, and HID's just make it worse- when confronted they normally get incredibly defensive. You on the other hand are at least acknowledging the fact that your lights are no longer in factory adjustment. Some guys are still in bewilderment as to why I melted their eyeballs out of their head with my 55w HID spotlights. They're the ones who are blinding everyone on the road.

Quote:
Originally Posted by California Vehicle Code, Section 24407
Upper and Lower Beam 24407.

Multiple-beam road lighting equipment shall be designed and aimed as follows:

(a) There shall be an uppermost distribution of light, or composite beam, so aimed and of such intensity as to reveal persons and vehicles at a distance of at least 350 feet ahead for all conditions of loading.

(b) There shall be a lowermost distribution of light, or composite beam so aimed and of sufficient intensity to reveal a person or vehicle at a distance of at least 100 feet ahead. On a straight level road under any condition of loading none of the high intensity portion of the beam shall be directed to strike the eyes of an approaching driver.
From the dealer the beams should be aimed below horizontal, yes? Evenly raising your lights 6" (4"lift and 4" larger than stock tires) will not cause the high intensity portion of the beam to rise more than 6". Raising it evenly doesn't change the angle and so they are still aimed below other drivers' lines of sight. Lift it even slightly more in the front than rear, however, and things can change quickly.
[URL="http://www.grimmjeeper.com/gears.html"][COLOR="Red"][SIZE="3"]Gear-Calculator[/SIZE][/COLOR][/URL] [URL="http://www.stu-offroad.com/siteindex.asp"][COLOR="White"][SIZE="3"]Stu Can Help You[/SIZE][/COLOR][/URL] [URL="http://www.berrysprinter.com/jeepparts.php"][COLOR="Blue"][SIZE="3"]Part Names and Numbers[/SIZE][/COLOR][/URL] [URL="http://www.wholesalemopar.com/"][SIZE="3"][COLOR="Red"]Dealer Supplied Parts and ask for "Jeep Club" Prices[/COLOR][/SIZE][/URL]

[QUOTE=Ron Paul]“Liberty is lost through complacency and a subservient mindset. When we accept or even welcome automobile checkpoints, random searches, mandatory identification cards, and paramilitary police in our streets, we have lost a vital part of our American heritage. America was born of protest, revolution, and mistrust of government. Subservient societies neither maintain nor deserve freedom for long.”
― Ron Paul[/QUOTE]

[CENTER][SIZE="5"]"Did [I]you[/I] exchange your walk-on part in the war for a lead role in a cage?"[/SIZE][/CENTER]
flying_bosun is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-16-2012, 04:39 AM   #13
dandug001
2006 TJ Wrangler 

never adjusted mine with a 3.5 lift. never get other drivers flashing me
dandug001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-16-2012, 07:16 AM   #14
paul84043
2012 JK Wrangler 

I did end up with more lift on the front than the rear. I got 3.5" front and 2" in the rear, so I can see where a fair amount of change would have come from. I was going to do it last night and got sidetracked.. Try again tonight..
Unread 07-16-2012, 09:06 AM   #15
danielbuck
2006 TJ Wrangler 

the TJ headlights must point downward a bit from the factory, because most lifted TJs I see don't blind me. And I doubt most folks take the time to adjust them. (I did, but it didn't need much adjusting)

It's the pre-running guys who have the front end of their trucks pointing towards the sky that blind everyone. LOL

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.