Any Particular Reason - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > Wrangler General Discussion > Any Particular Reason

SPARTAN LOCKERS are on sale BIG TIME at ROCKRIDGE 4WD!FS: Jeep Fog Light LED Bulbs! Several Brightness Options! Yukon Ultimate 35 axle kit for c/clip axles with Yukon Zip

Unread 05-09-2013, 06:57 PM   #1
zenman
2013 JK Wrangler 

Any Particular Reason

For picking a Sport or Sahara over a Rubicon to mod to your taste? I can understand financial reasons but are there others? I have a Sahara but want a Rubi to fix up just because it's the ultimate off road. But sometimes I just want to get out in the garage and get after what I have.

Old Jeep: 2012 JK Sahara Dozer
zenman is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-09-2013, 09:22 PM   #2
kjg26
1993 YJ Wrangler 

If you intend to upgrade the transfer case and axles beyond what a Rubi has then it makes no sense to pay the premium that most Rubis come with.
Unread 05-10-2013, 03:39 PM   #3
Filthy-Beast
2006 LJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by kjg26 View Post
If you intend to upgrade the transfer case and axles beyond what a Rubi has then it makes no sense to pay the premium that most Rubis come with.
they hold about a 5k resale premium. I never plan to upgrade past D44s chromoly shafts or the transfer case, If I shell the lockers I'll upgrade those. So to me it was worth it.

For Sale: 2013 4dr JK Painted black Hard Top JKUR 18/59 springs and shocks

97 TJ: daughter 1 - 2.5L, Auto, 2" BB, 31" GY Duratrac
98 TJ: Daugher 2 - 4.0L, 5spd, D44 rear
06 LJ Rubicon: mine - Rokmen full up-armor, 8 adjustable CAs, front bumper, sliders, corners, Shrockworks rear bumper, 3" AEV/BDS lift, Currie HD stearing and Antirock, MT/r - k 35x12.5, SuperWinch, MC Overlines, York OBA
13 JKU Rubicon: Wife's for now, Ace Rock rails & rear bumper tire carrier, Truck Lites, MC Game changer 3.5 lift, RR skids, PSC Brawler front bumper, Warn 9.5cti-s, 35" GY MTRs
Filthy-Beast is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-10-2013, 04:12 PM   #4
222Doc
2012 JK Wrangler 

you pay for a sahara, its all bling. at least the Rubi its all mechanical,excepting the stickers. If itwas my thinking i would pass on the sahara for the rubi. If all you can swing is a sport than its moot.

The cost of upgrades will far out cost the base rubi .unless you can do the work. Are you going to rebuild a new Jeep and have the money to do those upgardes?
Unread 05-10-2013, 04:14 PM   #5
Imped
Web Wheeler

2004 TJ Wrangler 

You need to get out more if you think Rubicons ate " the ultimate off road." From the factory, sure. But far from "ultimate."
Imped is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-10-2013, 06:21 PM   #6
zenman
2013 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Imped View Post
You need to get out more if you think Rubicons ate " the ultimate off road." From the factory, sure. But far from "ultimate."
From the factory is what I meant. I'm not a knuckle buster so I'll probably upgrade to a Rubicon with as many aftermarket additions as I want.

Old Jeep: 2012 JK Sahara Dozer
zenman is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-10-2013, 07:21 PM   #7
grogie
M-F: Cell Block #4533

2006 TJ Wrangler 

Sure if you have the money for a Rubicon and don't intend on replacing what you're paying for to being with, I'd get one. Long term I've heard some concern with repair costs of the stock lockers. But I don't know how common issues have been (again long term)?

Personally, when I ordered my Sport, financial reasons was part of my decision as I'm married. How is that?

Red Jeep Club #345
2006 TJ Sport
2004 KJ Limited
2013 Off-Road Trailer

grogie is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-11-2013, 09:02 AM   #8
JIMBOX
Web Wheeler
2008 JK Wrangler 

If you're a dedicated HARD ROCKER, don't getta Rubi--anything else get one

If you don't like jeep "down time for mods" get one

If you want a 15 to 25% higher resale value--get one

If you care about social status--get one

If you think you'll use the elockers/eswaybar release--get one

Good luck

JIMBO
JIMBOX is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-11-2013, 09:18 AM   #9
222Doc
2012 JK Wrangler 

Well no jeep will ever be all that hard in the end. If you want the "ultimate." Then you need a built rock crawler and trailer to tow it there. As they are not street legal, well here they get away with it as long as you have a plate and the basics. One pluss of living in this part of AZ. Rock Buggies are not great DD. Rubicons are not rock Buggies, no matter what you do to it.

Stock Rubicons with 35"s and at least a 3 to 3+ lift will take you along way. They will also take you to work or on that 2k road trip to that bucket list trail you wanted to do.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.