JeepForum.com

JeepForum.com (http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/)
-   Wrangler General Discussion (http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f176/)
-   -   Any Particular Reason (http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f176/any-particular-reason-1521224/)

zenman 05-09-2013 06:57 PM

Any Particular Reason

For picking a Sport or Sahara over a Rubicon to mod to your taste? I can understand financial reasons but are there others? I have a Sahara but want a Rubi to fix up just because it's the ultimate off road. But sometimes I just want to get out in the garage and get after what I have.

kjg26 05-09-2013 09:22 PM

If you intend to upgrade the transfer case and axles beyond what a Rubi has then it makes no sense to pay the premium that most Rubis come with.

Filthy-Beast 05-10-2013 03:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kjg26 (Post 15414071)
If you intend to upgrade the transfer case and axles beyond what a Rubi has then it makes no sense to pay the premium that most Rubis come with.

they hold about a 5k resale premium. I never plan to upgrade past D44s chromoly shafts or the transfer case, If I shell the lockers I'll upgrade those. So to me it was worth it.

222Doc 05-10-2013 04:12 PM

you pay for a sahara, its all bling. at least the Rubi its all mechanical,excepting the stickers. If itwas my thinking i would pass on the sahara for the rubi. If all you can swing is a sport than its moot.

The cost of upgrades will far out cost the base rubi .unless you can do the work. Are you going to rebuild a new Jeep and have the money to do those upgardes?

Imped 05-10-2013 04:14 PM

You need to get out more if you think Rubicons ate " the ultimate off road." From the factory, sure. But far from "ultimate."

zenman 05-10-2013 06:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Imped (Post 15417130)
You need to get out more if you think Rubicons ate " the ultimate off road." From the factory, sure. But far from "ultimate."

From the factory is what I meant. I'm not a knuckle buster so I'll probably upgrade to a Rubicon with as many aftermarket additions as I want.

grogie 05-10-2013 07:21 PM

Sure if you have the money for a Rubicon and don't intend on replacing what you're paying for to being with, I'd get one. Long term I've heard some concern with repair costs of the stock lockers. But I don't know how common issues have been (again long term)?

Personally, when I ordered my Sport, financial reasons was part of my decision as I'm married. How is that? :laugh:

JIMBOX 05-11-2013 09:02 AM

:cool: If you're a dedicated HARD ROCKER, don't getta Rubi--anything else get one

If you don't like jeep "down time for mods" get one

If you want a 15 to 25% higher resale value--get one

If you care about social status--get one

If you think you'll use the elockers/eswaybar release--get one

Good luck

:rofl::rofl: JIMBO

222Doc 05-11-2013 09:18 AM

Well no jeep will ever be all that hard in the end. If you want the "ultimate." Then you need a built rock crawler and trailer to tow it there. As they are not street legal, well here they get away with it as long as you have a plate and the basics. One pluss of living in this part of AZ. Rock Buggies are not great DD. Rubicons are not rock Buggies, no matter what you do to it.

Stock Rubicons with 35"s and at least a 3 to 3+ lift will take you along way. They will also take you to work or on that 2k road trip to that bucket list trail you wanted to do.

The time now is 06:42 PM.