Am I a Jeep snob? - JeepForum.com
 2Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 22 Old 10-19-2016, 07:37 PM Thread Starter
Lybarr
2016 JK Wrangler 

Am I a Jeep snob?

I bought my first Wrangler in "92" a used "89" Lorado since then I have owned 4 others another YJ 2 TJ's (1 of which was a Rubicon) and now a new JK. I just got the new one a couple months ago after not being able to afford one for the last 8 years. They were just coming out with the unlimited when I sold my Rubicon in "08" which I didn't like thinking it looked wrong and the longer wheel base was bad for 4 wheeling, but then they put 4 doors on the Wrangler which just pissed me off. Yes I understand from a business stand point sales are off the charts since they did that, but all they had to do was change the name and badging. Wranglers don't have 4 doors nor should they be automatics. It used to be a certain type of person who bought and owned a Jeep and we got the Jeep "thing" now it's a preppy thing and most people don't ever get em dirty or even take the top off. I guess I am a Jeep snob, what you think?

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 22 Old 10-19-2016, 08:45 PM
222Doc
Web Wheeler

2012 JK Wrangler 

Garage
I think people that think any year jeep makes them a ' jeeper" is TF funny. I started wheeling in a 1947cj2a on the Rubicon in the mid 70's. Real Jeepers would be those that are in clubs/they plan around wheeling trips. Work trails< Help to keep them open. the rest are tools. Owning a Jeep does not make you a jeeper. I know guys in yotas that are more " jeepers" than many people here that own a jeep.

By your def. im a mall crawler. i have a 12 Jkr today< auto 4.1 option that on 35s stock gears of 4.1. But in the 5+years this jk its done the Rubicon 2x, Dusy ershiem 3x and 1 pass on Swamp lake. moab 3x . everytrail in big bear worth doing. Az is my back yard. I tend to only wheel 4az, maybe a few 3+ if it worth the fuel. Yet i am in two large clubs one we run events that have 200-250 jeeps over 3 days of fun in Parker. And next years summer trail will be Fordyce in cali.

anyway what i see that makes me know the driver might be a Jeeper, they have club stickers on the fenders. the rest its all perception....

have to say as well your idea of wheel base and what works off road makes little sense. Jkr is stock at 95.5" Thats not long at all.

Home of the Parker Desert Splash

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 22 Old 10-19-2016, 09:26 PM
Kruzin
Web Wheeler

2009 JK Wrangler 

Seems to me like you simply have a very, very narrow view of who/what a 'Jeeper' is.

You are aware that Jeep has been marketing 4 door models with automatic transmissions to 'preppys' who never took off the tops since the 60s, right?

'09 JK Rubicon
'01 XJ Sport
'10 Fusion

post #4 of 22 Old 10-20-2016, 08:24 AM
arbakken
2015 JK Wrangler 

What is worse? A muddy 4 door that is deep off road, or a 2 door that doesn't do gravel roads? Everyone buys a Jeep for a different reason, and you should be happy so many soccer moms drive them to the mall because they boost the market and subsidize for those of us who still want something that goes off road. The JK Wrangler is the last of a dying breed, and the more people that buy them the better for everyone.
post #5 of 22 Old 10-20-2016, 10:42 AM
jay-h
1989 YJ Wrangler 

A guy I work with has a JKU primarily for carrying his hunting dogs.

My toys
'89 Wrangler YJ
'47 CJ2-A

wife's toys
97 Grand Cherokee (ZJ)
87 MB 560SL roadster
post #6 of 22 Old 10-20-2016, 12:35 PM
Spank
2014 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lybarr View Post
Yes I understand from a business stand point sales are off the charts since they did that
Well, no, apparently you don't.

'14 Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon
post #7 of 22 Old 10-20-2016, 02:41 PM
JoonHoss
2011 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
... I guess I am a Jeep snob, what you think?
Since you ask, your statement doesn't make you a snob, but it does make you ethnocentic and incognizant.

Hoss

"Gimme three gallons of low lead; two hot dogs and a strawberry soda..."JGW
post #8 of 22 Old 10-21-2016, 04:44 PM
jay-h
1989 YJ Wrangler 

There are some who only consider it a true Jeep if it's been modified from the ground up -- by the owner, not a shop.

There are others of us who prefer the old ones (one of mine is almost 70 years old, my 27 year old Jeep has over 300,000 miles).

There are things other people do with their Jeeps that I like and some I don't like ... but it's not my business. I stopped for a bite to eat after a day in the PIne barrens of NJ, my YJ covered in mud and silt. As I left, there was a YJ parked next to me absolutely pristine and spotless. Is one better than the other?

My toys
'89 Wrangler YJ
'47 CJ2-A

wife's toys
97 Grand Cherokee (ZJ)
87 MB 560SL roadster
post #9 of 22 Old 10-21-2016, 05:41 PM
Kev M
2012 WK 

Quote:
I bought my first Wrangler in "92" a used "89" Lorado since then I have owned 4 others another YJ 2 TJ's (1 of which was a Rubicon) and now a new JK. I just got the new one a couple months ago after not being able to afford one for the last 8 years. They were just coming out with the unlimited when I sold my Rubicon in "08" which I didn't like thinking it looked wrong and the longer wheel base was bad for 4 wheeling, but then they put 4 doors on the Wrangler which just pissed me off. Yes I understand from a business stand point sales are off the charts since they did that, but all they had to do was change the name and badging. Wranglers don't have 4 doors nor should they be automatics. It used to be a certain type of person who bought and owned a Jeep and we got the Jeep "thing" now it's a preppy thing and most people don't ever get em dirty or even take the top off. I guess I am a Jeep snob, what you think?
Yeah, that's about the right description for a "snob".

Seriously, you were pissed these Jeep didn't change the name from Wrangler on the JKU?

You're pissed that the wrong type of person is buying Jeeps?

You're pissed that not everyone who buys em takes em off road?

Yup... You classified the attitude correctly.

Personally I've owned 4 "Jeeps" and though all have been off-road, all also served duty as family vehicles. So ALL have been 4-door:

99 WJ
98 XJ
12 WK2
16 JKU

And let me be honest my JKU is my favorite for a lot of reasons, but many of them are probably the same reason you love Wranglers.

But I won't look down someone else for liking a Jeep for a different reason.

Just food for thought.

Current Jeeps:

2016 JKUS
2012 WK2 Limited
post #10 of 22 Old 10-24-2016, 10:24 AM
Fourtrail
1974 CJ6 

You started out with a Joop and square headlights and are trying to consider yourself a Jeep snob.... You think the TJ Unlimited (LJ) was the first long wheelbase open top....

long live round headlights and wagon springs

80 CJ-5, 74 CJ-6, 56 CJ-5
post #11 of 22 Old 10-25-2016, 07:10 AM
wkndwarrior
Rubiclone Member

1997 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
I guess I am a Jeep snob, what you think?
do you wave to all jeeps?

Quote:
like marco from trapoja said.......guuuud luuuk!!
Quote:
Originally Posted by xxdabroxx View Post
If you believe Iran will be content with nuclear power but not weapons I have some dehydrated water to sell you.
post #12 of 22 Old 10-26-2016, 03:42 PM
TSEJEEPERS
1993 YJ Wrangler 

I would say these people are.
http://www.jkowners.com/
I find it insulting that they do not include any other Jeep besides JK.
Every time Jeep comes out with a new model they have made it better. So the JKs were made better by listening to Jeep owners and the engineers that have used the lessons they learned from other models.
Now before you say some thing like there are Cherokee clubs, Grand Cherokee clubs, ect. I can understand that as those are other models.
A JK is a Wrangler.
It is not the forum I find insulting but the clubs that will only let JKs join.

93 YJ SOA 2" springs front, XJ springs rear w/main leaf added, High pinon 9 inch rear detroit locker front Dana 44 ARB 4.56 Gears, 36 inch Irok tires too much to list.
post #13 of 22 Old 10-26-2016, 04:05 PM
Fourtrail
1974 CJ6 

Quote:
Originally Posted by TSEJEEPERS View Post
I would say these people are.
http://www.jkowners.com/
I find it insulting that they do not include any other Jeep besides JK.
Every time Jeep comes out with a new model they have made it better. So the JKs were made better by listening to Jeep owners and the engineers that have used the lessons they learned from other models.
Now before you say some thing like there are Cherokee clubs, Grand Cherokee clubs, ect. I can understand that as those are other models.
A JK is a Wrangler.
It is not the forum I find insulting but the clubs that will only let JKs join.
You do realize that forum originated as the Jeep JK brand specific sub forum on Pirate, not as a snob forum. A YJ, TJ and JK may all be Wronglers, but they are different models, just as a ZJ, a WJ, WK and WK2 are all Grand Cherokees. All different models under the same name. There are inclusive clubs for each generation.

post #14 of 22 Old 10-26-2016, 04:17 PM
TSEJEEPERS
1993 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fourtrail View Post
You do realize that forum originated as the Jeep JK brand specific sub forum on Pirate, not as a snob forum. A YJ, TJ and JK may all be Wronglers, but they are different models, just as a ZJ, a WJ, WK and WK2 are all Grand Cherokees. All different models under the same name. There are inclusive clubs for each generation.
I have never seen a actual CJ, YJ, TJ, club that excludes all other Jeeps.
I can understand their own forum or sub forum but not a club.

93 YJ SOA 2" springs front, XJ springs rear w/main leaf added, High pinon 9 inch rear detroit locker front Dana 44 ARB 4.56 Gears, 36 inch Irok tires too much to list.
post #15 of 22 Old 10-26-2016, 06:34 PM
Fourtrail
1974 CJ6 

Quote:
Originally Posted by TSEJEEPERS View Post
I have never seen a actual CJ, YJ, TJ, club that excludes all other Jeeps.
I can understand their own forum or sub forum but not a club.
Me neither, guess you will have to upgrade to be a part of JKOP....

Me, I am fine with whatever and whomever and don't get insulted if they don't want my old busted *** junk in their club.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.