Aluminum wheel lug nuts get stuck - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > Wrangler General Discussion > Aluminum wheel lug nuts get stuck

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineSavvy Billet LED Tail LightsLight up the holidays with LED lights from JeepHut

Unread 09-12-2012, 05:27 AM   #1
bwright1818
1997 TJ Wrangler 

Aluminum wheel lug nuts get stuck

I bought some used, Jeep aluminum wheels, supposedly off a 1995 model. I had new tires put on, and installed by a Goodyear dealer, on my 1997. One week later, I could not remove them. I had to bring it back to Goodyear, who actually had to torch off one nut! I was mad at them, thinking they put them on to tight. So I went home, undid all of them, greased them and torqued then to 80 ft pounds....the low end of the torque range spec. One month goes by, and I can't get them off!! Every one is very, VERY tight, breaking Craftsman sockets, etc. Another lug nut is rounded off and will have to be torched. I WILL say that the nuts have the stupid little sheet metal chrome caps. I won't use THEM again.

How do I get the wrecked nut off? Any trick tips or tools?

Why do these get so freakin' stuck?

bwright1818 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-12-2012, 06:01 AM   #2
hustler905
2002 TJ Wrangler 

The caps are the problem.

Hammer on the tightest socket you can get on there and use that to pull the damaged one off.
hustler905 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-12-2012, 11:57 AM   #3
gunshw301
1994 YJ Wrangler 

Yep. You need different nuts....those suck. Hammer on a heavy weight socket and then use a breaker bar. Keep turning until the bolt snaps or nut comes off. Been there done that....get new lug nuts.

Sent from my iPhone using JeepForum
F/S Dana 35, 4:10, open make an offer, local pick up only, will not ship. 3-8-13

[URL="http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f22/my-94-b-g-yj-1034888/"]My 1994 yj build page[/URL]
gunshw301 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-12-2012, 12:00 PM   #4
Zombi
1999 TJ Wrangler 

For really stuck nuts I don't even bother to mess with them anymore.
My steel wheels don't have recesses for lugs so the only time I've ever gotten a stuck nut like that I just put the 4-way on the lug and jump on it to snap the stud right off.
I keep a supply of those things since they seem to like to self destruct.
Zombi's are in fact very unpleasant to be around, they smell, and bite--also, they eat babies.
Zombi is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-12-2012, 12:07 PM   #5
mdm
Farm Wheeler
2000 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by bwright1818 View Post
...Why do these get so freakin' stuck?
Quote:
...greased them and torqued then to 80 ft pounds...
I wonder too.
Unread 09-12-2012, 12:17 PM   #6
gunshw301
1994 YJ Wrangler 

Not sure. I had the same issues and swapped lug nuts and only had one do it so far afterwards and i think my buddy cross threaded that one. Shouldnt need anything like grease on the threads, maybe anti-seize, but I haven't ever used anything. Just tighten down and then retighten after a drive.

Sent from my iPhone using JeepForum
F/S Dana 35, 4:10, open make an offer, local pick up only, will not ship. 3-8-13

[URL="http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f22/my-94-b-g-yj-1034888/"]My 1994 yj build page[/URL]
gunshw301 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-12-2012, 12:18 PM   #7
Zombi
1999 TJ Wrangler 

You said you had aluminum wheels?
That is probably part of the reason, dissimilar metals n all that.
Zombi's are in fact very unpleasant to be around, they smell, and bite--also, they eat babies.
Zombi is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-12-2012, 06:30 PM   #8
bwright1818
1997 TJ Wrangler 

Thanks guys. Yeah, I thought about dissimilar metals. I'm a boat mechanic; so that's why I used anti-corrosion grease. (We don't like anti-seize because that sometimes has metal material in it, that causes more harm than good around salt water.) I have seen things under salt water for a summer that have not gotton this stuck. Goodyear said it was the heat from the brakes. Dunno. Pretty discouraging, though. I like fixing the Jeep but I don't like fixing stupid things twice. Funny; I had a CJ5 with aluminum wheels, "back in the day," and I used to have to keep checking the torque on them, or they would come loose. I just don't get it.
bwright1818 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-12-2012, 06:37 PM   #9
tjkj2002
2002 KJ Liberty 

Quote:
greased them and torqued then to 80 ft pounds....the low end of the torque range spec.
Your whole issue.Those torque specs are for dry threads,using any type of lube on the treads you must decrease the torque by at least 25% if not a little more.

Naturally the right side should self tighten while the lest side will self-loosen just by the tire rotating and why most big trucks use left hand and right hand thread wheels studs/lugnuts.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.