to all my fellow tj'rs I wanna know what tires you're all running, pros and cons - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > Wrangler General Discussion > to all my fellow tj'rs I wanna know what tires you're all running, pros and cons

LJ Suspension Systems from Clayton Off RoadEngo winches available at www.rockridge4wd.com! Free shippThe Original 3/8" Ruffstuff Diff Cover!

Unread 12-24-2011, 05:54 PM   #1
deadwalkinsammy
1997 TJ Wrangler 

to all my fellow tj'rs I wanna know what tires you're all running, pros and cons

The title says it all, every time I search for threads about tires they all turn into pissing contests about who's tires are better, all I wanna know is your expierence with the tires you're running or have run.

I'm currently running pitbull growlers, 33x12.50x15
Off road, these tires are absolutely beast there hasn't been a single thing to hold me up.
On road, they're loud, they don't wear too bad unless they're overfilled with air, then they get really uneven and kind of throw you all over the place.

So, let's hear what ya got!

deadwalkinsammy is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-24-2011, 06:53 PM   #2
jeepinmichguy_
I haz ah Geep

2003 TJ Wrangler 

There is a review section and tire/wheel section for a reason.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheBoogieman View Post
Jeepinmichguy is a jerk.
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrblaine View Post
How about this, if you had the Jeep Spirit, you wouldn't abuse the rest of us trying to enjoy a nice day out wheeling by bringing your brokeass broken down junkyard crap out to play where it can't handle it?
Quote:
Originally Posted by JeepForum123 View Post
you all have nice rigs, stop being f****** a**holes.
jeepinmichguy_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-24-2011, 06:54 PM   #3
dwbrown
2014 JK Wrangler 

I find that I can piss the farthest after I've had caffeine.
Unread 12-24-2011, 07:21 PM   #4
LJameson
1990 YJ Wrangler 

I have the BFG A/Ts on my LJ, probably my last set. After driving a jeep with Goodyear MTR Kevlars, I'm set on those as my next tire. They're smoother, quieter and all around a better tire then my BFGs.

-Chris LeDoux

I never could figure what the sky was thinking, but the soil, she don't keep too many secrets.
LJameson is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-24-2011, 09:59 PM   #5
MightyJeep
2000 TJ Wrangler 

I'm running the Goodyear MT/R with Kevlar in the size 285/75R16. So far I am loving the quality of these tires and durability.

Offroad: The tires go well on gravel, dirt, thick mud, rock, through streams and overall terrain. The only downfall I have experienced was hitting a patch of slick, wet mud. The tires seemed to slide and made the jeep float without traction. Imo, I think slick mud will do that to any kind of tire. The only element I haven't experience is snow because we've had less than a few inches spread out over the past month.

On road: The tires make for a smooth ride and at the same time a quiet ride.

I definitely recommend these tires.
MightyJeep is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-24-2011, 10:03 PM   #6
uncleroman
1999 TJ Wrangler 

i like my bfg mts i think i liked my originals more but these km2s are sweet, bfg,ats or anything les aggresive are for a daily driver.
uncleroman is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-24-2011, 11:12 PM   #7
sheriff1680
1997 TJ Wrangler 

I've run BFG ATs....wear well, okay on the street, suck in mud. Then went to KMs. Good offroad, wear well, loud after they wear a bit, suck on ice and hard pack snow. This morning put on a new set of 33x10.50 KM2s. I think they're almost as quiet as the ATs, have to wait and see next week what they do offroad. Brown Christmas here in southern Alberta so can't say about winter driving yet....
1997 TJ, 5.2 Magnum V8, 46RE, NP231, 4:10's.....

I hear voices.
sheriff1680 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-25-2011, 05:11 AM   #8
muddr1
1999 TJ Wrangler 

I am currently running bfg a/t's, 33,12.5 15.
I like them for what I do, which is alot of on road and some off road and when I am off road I am not in to anything too technical. BUt I have been trolling the idea of good year mtr kevlars, I have heard alot of good things about them.
Thomas Edison Keep Calm,Chive On
muddr1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-25-2011, 06:38 AM   #9
dwbrown
2014 JK Wrangler 

I've run KMs and they were already about 1/2 way through their life. They still did pretty good in the mud/sand/rock/street.

I was going to go MTR/Kevlar but they were on nationwide back-order for 35x12.5R15 until about a few days ago. I never got to run them, but I cant wait until I have a chance to run them.

My second choice was KM2s (which I'm running currently). They perform about the same in the mud as the KMs. On the street they are about the same, I cant tell you much as far as how loud they are because of the loudness of my music and my top is on for winter. I run them at ~29 PSI give or take one or two. The ride is well, Jeepish. Running them at a lower pressure (compared to the ~40 psi in my truck) they absorb the smaller bumps that the suspension fails to address.
Unread 12-25-2011, 07:08 AM   #10
bremen66
2005 TJ Wrangler 

I'm currently running MTR Kevlars (35's) on a stock height jeep. The tires are great and would be better with some lift but it is what it is. The 35's arent quite thick enough to keep ocotillo from punching through but otherwise they are unstoppable. As a side note my rear wheelwell is cut out and I am running metal cloak front fenders... to make the 35's fit you will need to remove the swaybar when using the factory backspacing. I have a 1.25 body lift in the mail and a 3" currie/savvy lift on my dreamsheet.
bremen66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-25-2011, 07:40 AM   #11
muddr1
1999 TJ Wrangler 

For those running the goodyear mtr's, how are they wearing ? Are you getting decent mileage out of them. I dont want to buy new tires every 15,000 miles.
Thomas Edison Keep Calm,Chive On
muddr1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-25-2011, 07:56 AM   #12
Faramir66103
1999 TJ Wrangler 

I'm on my second set of BFG A/Ts. I've run them in all conditions except sand, and have found them to excel. As daily drivers they are quiet, comfortable and I found my mileage went up after I put them on. On pavement around town and on the highway in ALL conditions including several feet of snow, inches of standing/running water, gravel, dirt etc. they keep me under control and are comfortable to be around for long days on the highway. I've found they wear extremely well, and the consumer advocacy groups consistently rate them right at the top for an all around tire. I have found that in certain kinds of snow and mud, they do pack up more quickly than I'd like, and on ice, well, nothing except studs or chains help that much on ice.

If I'm lucky, in the next year or so, we'll be buying a house and getting out of this apartment so I'll have more storage capacity, at which point I may acquire a second set of tires/wheels with a more aggressive tread for offroad use, but for an all around great tire, I can't recommend the BFG A/T highly enough.

Cheers,
Adam
'99 TJ Sport, 4.0 I6, 5 speed manual transmission, Hi Lift w/offroad kit, Viair 450C compressor, Garmin GPS, Skid Row Engine/Transmission, steering box & radiator skid plates, Kilby gas tank plate, AtoZ Fab full length rocker guards, Performance Accessories 1" Body Lift, OME 2.5" HD springs & shocks, JKS trackbars front & rear, BFG AT 33x12.5r15, EBC Yellow pads and Centric rotors
Faramir66103 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-25-2011, 08:07 AM   #13
Zeep
2005 LJ Wrangler 

Still on my stock set of Goodyear MTR's. They do fine offroad, but because of the E load range rating, I dont like the on road manners at all. Not impressed with them on ice and snow either. Probably going to Cooper STT's, when I wear them out.
Unread 12-25-2011, 08:10 AM   #14
bremen66
2005 TJ Wrangler 

My fuel mileage of course went down the drain when I sized up to a 35", mind you I have not regeared yet either. I am getting 11-13 highway and thats with a manual transmission and cruise control on.
bremen66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-25-2011, 08:11 AM   #15
Zeep
2005 LJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by muddr1 View Post
For those running the goodyear mtr's, how are they wearing ? Are you getting decent mileage out of them. I dont want to buy new tires every 15,000 miles.
At 25k mine still have plenty life left. I do a 5 tire rotation every 3k or so.
I expect them to last to about 40k.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.