Jeep Enthusiast Forums banner

ADVICE: On things I should know about taking the doors and top on/off?

1K views 6 replies 7 participants last post by  25greenwrangler 
#1 ·
Getting ready to take the top and doors off for the first time and was wondering if there's anything I should essentially be aware of? Products to buy, things to keep in mind? I really don't wanna chip any paint or compromise any sealants. Thanks!!

#2 ·
The doors are heavy, so be prepared to lift a fair bit of weight; and if they have never been off, they WILL be hard to remove.

Take off the nuts (use a socket and ratchet; put a magnet on the body behind the nuts... that will protect the paint on the doors). And then swing the door open and closed (take off the door straps) as far as possible while lifting up. The door should come off.

As for the top... it WILL be heavy and you WILL need at least one other person. What I do is unbolt the six tub bolts at the rear, disconnect the wiper/wiring at the rear, and then unhook the latches at the windshield. From there, I lift at the various corners of it, to 'break' it free. Once its completely free, I open the top glass (at the rear) and close the tailgate. Lift the top with a person at both sides of the rear section (where the side glass is; its the heaviest part) and lift it backward over the tailgate.

#3 ·
Be very careful after you unhook the door retaining straps.
Always keep control of the door at that point.
It can (will) swing fully open and the mirror will dent the cowl by the windshield.
And yes, the doors are heavier than you think. You can lift them, just be prepared for the unexpected weight.

#4 ·
If you have a garage, get a hard top lift. They're awesome as I can remove my hard top in five minutes and my wife even parks under it. I typically leave it hanging over the summer and run a soft top.

#5 ·
All the above.

And if you fill out your jeep profile, we can prolly help with all the "little" things.
Like making sure the electrical connection , at the rear left corner of a YJ, is disconnected BEFORE you lift the top.
And if you plan on making this a seasonal ritual, replace the hold down bolts with eye bolts to make it easier.
Also, use some silicone lube spray on the rubber pieces, on the hardtop mating surfaces, to keep them from drying out.

Then find a nice bikini top for the "too sunny" days and enjoy

#6 ·
If it's a JK, the door pins are the same length. Thanks, Chrysler...... you saved 2 cents per vehicle, and caused your customers headaches.

I have found it best to have the doors at a 90 degree angle to the opening when going on/off.........less chance of damaging the lower inner corner of the door, as it is furthest away from the body at 90 deg.

Doors are HEAVY, so be prepared.

Attachments

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.