Advantages of JK over TJ?? - Page 9 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > Wrangler General Discussion > Advantages of JK over TJ??

FS: Wrangler RGB Multicolor Fog Light LEDs: Awesome EffectJKS Now Available at www.baseline4x4.com, Trackbars, SkidsFS: 2007-2013 Jeep Wrangler "HALO" Angel Eye Kit

Unread 07-03-2013, 09:23 AM   #121
wendell
1987 YJ Wrangler 

My 87 had a 3" body lift when I bought it, it doesn't now, nor does my 88. My point was that you could get a soft top on a bronco, or scout, but that doesn't make them a jeep. I'm proud to have AMC jeeps, AMC did more for jeep than all of the other owners of jeep combined. For example, stretched the nose on the cj to fit an I-6, put an in-dash stereo in the cj in 1976, made the v-8 an option in cj's, came out with the cj-7, made the 401 v-8 option for full size jeeps, produced the jeepster with a v-8 option, came up with great packages like, renegade, golden eagle, larado, honcho, cherokee chief, gave us the 258 and 4.0. In the 80's AMC really got busy with jeep and gave us the scrambler, cj-7 and cj-5( the 70's as well), the grand cherokee, we still had the j-10 and 20, we got the xj small Cherokee, the mj comanchee and the yj wrangler. To knock AMC, is to knock jeep it's self. Jeep wouldn't be around today if not for AMC. I've owned many AMC jeeps, j-10's, cj's, you name it, and they were as good as any jeeps before and after AMC. If AMC would of designed the jk, I'm sure it would be a different jeep today. Billy sums it up quit well, let the jk prove it's self. We all know the real reason the jk is so different. Chrysler wanted to reach a bigger market share, that's just good business. However, you have to be careful when you mess with an icon. Chrysler/fiat still has time to redeem them self's with future jeep models. Like I say, I love the jk with the brute p/u kit installed, it makes an awesome jeep truck.

wendell is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-03-2013, 10:05 AM   #122
Filthy-Beast
2006 LJ Wrangler 

I haven't clearly made the point I'm trying to get across. Yes Chrysler made them cushier and added a 4dr to get more market share, but what most people complain about, wider, lighter metal, more plastic, different engines etc. would have needed to be done by AMC if they still made them. You cannot get around the rule and regulation changes that have happened since the 70s and 80s.

For Sale: 2013 4dr JK Painted black Hard Top JKUR 18/59 springs and shocks

97 TJ: daughter 1 - 2.5L, Auto, 2" BB, 31" GY Duratrac
98 TJ: Daugher 2 - 4.0L, 5spd, D44 rear
06 LJ Rubicon: mine - Rokmen full up-armor, 8 adjustable CAs, front bumper, sliders, corners, Shrockworks rear bumper, 3" AEV/BDS lift, Currie HD stearing and Antirock, MT/r - k 35x12.5, SuperWinch, MC Overlines, York OBA
13 JKU Rubicon: Wife's for now, Ace Rock rails & rear bumper tire carrier, Truck Lites, MC Game changer 3.5 lift, RR skids, PSC Brawler front bumper, Warn 9.5cti-s, 35" GY MTRs
Filthy-Beast is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-03-2013, 02:32 PM   #123
jjvw
Hipster Jeep

2003 TJ Wrangler 

Just a wild thought that would possibly address the concerns of the purists. Why isn't there an SRT Wrangler? Something along the lines of the Viper. A barebones, high performance, no nonsense off road machine based on the Rubicon.
Unread 07-03-2013, 02:50 PM   #124
Filthy-Beast
2006 LJ Wrangler 

CAFE - Corporate Average Fuel Economy regulations

06 LJ Rubicon: mine - Rokmen full up-armor, 8 adjustable CAs, front bumper, sliders, corners, Shrockworks rear bumper, 3" AEV/BDS lift, Currie HD stearing and Antirock, MT/r - k 35x12.5, SuperWinch, MC Overlines, York OBA
13 JKU Rubicon: Wife's for now, Ace Rock rails & rear bumper tire carrier, Truck Lites, MC Game changer 3.5 lift, RR skids, PSC Brawler front bumper, Warn 9.5cti-s, 35" GY MTRs
Unread 07-04-2013, 10:32 AM   #125
wendell
1987 YJ Wrangler 

I see your point filthy-beast, however they still could have made the jk not so ugly, that's in the designers hands, nor did it have to have plastic fenders. I feel it could of been designed with a much better look. Looks change, maybe the next one will work a little better for us.
wendell is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-04-2013, 10:51 AM   #126
roadyrob
1987 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by wendell View Post
I see your point filthy-beast, however they still could have made the jk not so ugly, that's in the designers hands, nor did it have to have plastic fenders. I feel it could of been designed with a much better look. Looks change, maybe the next one will work a little better for us.
take a look thru this thread, many of the jeeps are far from ugly.

http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f96/s...r-jks-1255930/

I have a YJ that I luv but I.m reminded of the mailman every time I see a stock one.

all jeeps are a canvas, you create the painting.

the voices aren't real but they sure have good ideas.
roadyrob is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-04-2013, 11:02 AM   #127
jeepsterdan83
2004 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3X4X4 View Post
I had a JK and got rid of it for a TJ Rubicon.

Thicker metal
Metal grill
Metal fenders
Metal door handles
More REAL, useable power
Much less water leakage from tops, hard or soft
More and cheaper after market parts that have been further developed for more years
More REAL off road capability
Does not burn oil
Straight six, does not have a mini van motor
Is not a mini van disguised as a Jeep Wrangler
Lighter
Smaller footprint
More maneuverable
Much better looking, looks like a Jeep Wrangler
Less invasive electronics like ABS, VSC that cannot be deactivated regardless of what people say
Drives and feels like a Jeep instead of a car/minivan
Does not have the fat butt JK look

No, it is true, I do not much like JKs and I had one for five years and 88,000 miles, hated it every minute. Oh, and that minivan d---n door/seatbelt awful chime, DING, Freaking DING, DING, FnDing, DING, DING. I can still here it dinging in my nightmares. And those plastic Tupa-bumpers. People kept asking me what year my Liberty was, not good.

J
Awesome analysis
jeepsterdan83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-04-2013, 11:22 AM   #128
Filthy-Beast
2006 LJ Wrangler 

Quote:
More REAL off road capability
This is completely false. A stock JK, same driver, will out wheel a stock TJ. Put the same Mods, say 3.5" lift, rock rails, 37" tires, highline fenders same driver, and the difference in off-road ability gets even greater in favor of the JK. Occasionally I have to make a three point when a TJ doesn't but the LJ still needs to make those same three points. Very seldom is the tree gap too small for the JK. The only real difference is I'm less likely to try an obstacle that has just caused body damage on 5 out of 7 TJs with my 2013 JK than I would be with my 2006 LJ.

I'm not a fan boy of either, I have both, nicely built too. You might not like the look or the price of the mods but you cannot argue with the fact that it is most capable production 4x4 made.

Unread 07-04-2013, 03:01 PM   #129
Utah_Jay
2007 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Filthy-Beast View Post
This is completely false. A stock JK, same driver, will out wheel a stock TJ. Put the same Mods, say 3.5" lift, rock rails, 37" tires, highline fenders same driver, and the difference in off-road ability gets even greater in favor of the JK. Occasionally I have to make a three point when a TJ doesn't but the LJ still needs to make those same three points. Very seldom is the tree gap too small for the JK. The only real difference is I'm less likely to try an obstacle that has just caused body damage on 5 out of 7 TJs with my 2013 JK than I would be with my 2006 LJ.

I'm not a fan boy of either, I have both, nicely built too. You might not like the look or the price of the mods but you cannot argue with the fact that it is most capable production 4x4 made.
Well said
Unread 07-04-2013, 03:34 PM   #130
kennyboobear
2000 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by wendell View Post
As a very proud TJ owner, I'm not sure what you're on about. Jeeps in general are ugly as ****. That's what makes them so iconic. They're unique. And the JK has metal fenders... ones that are more durable than the ones on my TJ. The FLARES on a JK are plastic, just like the flares on a TJ, YJ, CJ etc. etc. etc.

Not trying to split hairs but just kinda speaking the truth.
[COLOR="DimGray"]SILVER JEEP CLUB MEMBER #46[/COLOR]
[I][B]Get [/B][/I][B][COLOR="DimGray"][URL="http://www.savvyoffroad.com/"]Savvy.[/URL][/COLOR][/B][I][B][/B][/I]

[URL="http://www.facebook.com/SFFCustoms"]SFF Customs[/URL]

[QUOTE=GraKee99;10375372]Driving on snow is a lot like sex, it's a lot of fun but if you don't pay attention, you can really mess up someone's rear end.[/QUOTE]

[QUOTE=Gene Mooneyham]Not to burst your bubble, but California gets worse every year. Liberals, and illegals have ruined any chance California had to get turned around, it's a sinking ship.[/QUOTE]

[URL="http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f22/finally-2000-tj-slow-build-very-slow-947018/"]My 2000 Silverstone TJ Build[/URL]
kennyboobear is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-04-2013, 03:41 PM   #131
Ej132
2000 TJ Wrangler 

Jk does not have metal fenders, that's all plastic there
Ej132 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-05-2013, 02:43 AM   #132
bogleparsons
2013 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ej132 View Post
Jk does not have metal fenders, that's all plastic there
Thats not by mistake, it's designed to be able to replace those fenders cheaper than if you bent up metal ones.

(plus i'm sure it helped shave 30lbs)
Unread 07-05-2013, 05:22 AM   #133
mello

Jk fenders are metal the fender flares are plastic
mello is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-05-2013, 05:35 AM   #134
GrassLakeRon
2006 LJ Wrangler 

He is a link for the replacement OEM fender: http://www.4wd.com/Jeep-Body-Parts-R...UtgMgodEnAARg#
GrassLakeRon is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-05-2013, 06:56 AM   #135
rebelbowtie
2000 XJ Cherokee 

I give JK owners tons of crap about being sissy Jeeps but truth be told if I could afford one I would trade my XJ in on a JKU in a heart beat. Most everyone I wheel with drives JK's and they work great off road!
For he's just the U.S. Government's hired man.
rebelbowtie is offline   Reply With Quote

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.