Advantages of JK over TJ?? - Page 8 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > Wrangler General Discussion > Advantages of JK over TJ??

Dan's Old as Dirt Birthday Sale!GEARSHADE Pocket Tops in stock and available at ROCKRIDGE Yukon Ultimate 35 axle kit for c/clip axles with Yukon Zip

Unread 07-01-2013, 08:43 PM   #106
Ej132
2000 TJ Wrangler 

Sorry Filthy Beast but jks do not have flat windshields, they are curved slightly.

2000 TJ

Ej132 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-01-2013, 09:42 PM   #107
jjvw
Hipster Jeep

2003 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ej132 View Post
Sorry Filthy Beast but jks do not have flat windshields, they are curved slightly.

2000 TJ
HA! This is it. We've all been too afraid to say it until now! I can't stand how those JK windshields reflect the sunlight...like its following me or something...GRRR!!!!
jjvw is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-01-2013, 09:59 PM   #108
Filthy-Beast
Web Wheeler

2006 LJ Wrangler 

flat enough to fold and be a rock magnet.

For Sale: 2013 4dr JK Painted black Hard Top JKUR 18/59 springs and shocks

97 TJ: daughter 1 - 2.5L, Auto, 2" BB, 31" GY Duratrac
98 TJ: Daugher 2 - 4.0L, 5spd, D44 rear
06 LJ Rubicon: mine - Rokmen full up-armor, 8 adjustable CAs, front bumper, sliders, corners, Shrockworks rear bumper, 3" AEV/BDS lift, Currie HD stearing and Antirock, MT/r - k 35x12.5, SuperWinch, MC Overlines, York OBA
13 JKU Rubicon: Wife's for now, Ace Rock rails & rear bumper tire carrier, Truck Lites, MC Game changer 3.5 lift, RR skids, PSC Brawler front bumper, Warn 9.5cti-s, 35" GY MTRs
Filthy-Beast is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-02-2013, 08:47 AM   #109
wendell
1987 YJ Wrangler 

All the stuff in your list has nothing to do with jeep. You can get dana and selectable lockers on a lot of vehicles now a days. Soft top, hard top on a bronco. Like I said, a jeep has always been, a small, bare bones, affordable, tough off road vehicle. The worst thing they have done to the jk as there are many, is give it a fat *** and make it bigger. The jk would be a great platform for a new jeep truck as it needs to be bigger. Yes vehicles do change with the times, but from the willys to the tj, jeep stayed true to it's core. For example, I purchased a brand new 02 tj for 14 grand and some change. It had a radio delete plate, no rear seat, half carpet, 4 cylinder, 5 speed. Can you buy a jk like that? I don't expect everyone to understand as a lot of you are new to jeeps and what not, I'm just letting you know why hardcore jeepers feel the way they do. I've owned 18 jeeps from willys to a tj, I've had them all my life, it runs deep with me and others like me. I guess we have to agree to disagree on the jeep merits of the Chrysler built, fiat owned jk. Fiat may not be a bad thing as they want to build smaller jeeps again.
wendell is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-02-2013, 10:14 AM   #110
Imped
Web Wheeler

2004 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by wendell View Post
All the stuff in your list has nothing to do with jeep. You can get dana and selectable lockers on a lot of vehicles now a days. Soft top, hard top on a bronco. Like I said, a jeep has always been, a small, bare bones, affordable, tough off road vehicle. The worst thing they have done to the jk as there are many, is give it a fat *** and make it bigger. The jk would be a great platform for a new jeep truck as it needs to be bigger. Yes vehicles do change with the times, but from the willys to the tj, jeep stayed true to it's core. For example, I purchased a brand new 02 tj for 14 grand and some change. It had a radio delete plate, no rear seat, half carpet, 4 cylinder, 5 speed. Can you buy a jk like that? I don't expect everyone to understand as a lot of you are new to jeeps and what not, I'm just letting you know why hardcore jeepers feel the way they do. I've owned 18 jeeps from willys to a tj, I've had them all my life, it runs deep with me and others like me. I guess we have to agree to disagree on the jeep merits of the Chrysler built, fiat owned jk. Fiat may not be a bad thing as they want to build smaller jeeps again.
You have a 3" body lift.
Imped is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-02-2013, 10:33 AM   #111
bogleparsons
2013 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Imped View Post
You have a 3" body lift.
That's a cheap shot.^

they haven't made a Bronco since 96'.
Unread 07-02-2013, 11:59 AM   #112
Filthy-Beast
Web Wheeler

2006 LJ Wrangler 

I was going to say I didn't see a 2013 Bronco on the lot of my ford dealer. The 2002 Wrangler had a starting MSRP of 20,280, adjusted for inflation that would be 25,667 in 2013 dollars. the 2013 Wrangler has a starting 22,295. So you could argue that the 2013 is better value than the 2002.

Also the width increase was driven by product safety testing groups rating it high on roll overs, TJ wider than CJ, JK wider still.

For Sale: 2013 4dr JK Painted black Hard Top JKUR 18/59 springs and shocks

97 TJ: daughter 1 - 2.5L, Auto, 2" BB, 31" GY Duratrac
98 TJ: Daugher 2 - 4.0L, 5spd, D44 rear
06 LJ Rubicon: mine - Rokmen full up-armor, 8 adjustable CAs, front bumper, sliders, corners, Shrockworks rear bumper, 3" AEV/BDS lift, Currie HD stearing and Antirock, MT/r - k 35x12.5, SuperWinch, MC Overlines, York OBA
13 JKU Rubicon: Wife's for now, Ace Rock rails & rear bumper tire carrier, Truck Lites, MC Game changer 3.5 lift, RR skids, PSC Brawler front bumper, Warn 9.5cti-s, 35" GY MTRs
Filthy-Beast is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-02-2013, 02:16 PM   #113
justin credible
2012 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Filthy-Beast View Post
Also the width increase was driven by product safety testing groups rating it high on roll overs, TJ wider than CJ, JK wider still.
Right there is the sad unavoidable truth.
Modern safety regulations have brought up belt lines, raised hoods, and added hundreds of pounds that didn't used to be there. I think it's remarkable that Jeep has been able to do what they have.
If they had just modified the TJ for current safety, it would weigh 4500 pounds, the hood would be stretched several inches longer and raised a couple higher, and it still would have to be wider to meet rollover standards.
justin credible is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-02-2013, 09:08 PM   #114
trw
2011 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
There's nothing left of willys, kaiser or AMC in the jk. Jeep died all but the name after 06.
I can give you Willys and maybe Kaiser, but AMC? oh gosh, you have to be kidding That is not all a good thing.

With how the Jeep line was going with AMC at the helm, AMC was on track to ruining the Jeep name. They had great ideas, but ruined the execution with weak parts all over.

If the "real" jeeps died in 06, that's not a bad thing.
1978 Jeep CJ-7 - 304 V8, TH400 auto and quadratrac
2007 Jeep Liberty - Mother's Jeep, BFG ATs and....mud?
trw is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-02-2013, 09:27 PM   #115
COLOUXJ
Web Wheeler
2010 JK Wrangler 

Can you guys who say the 4.0 has more power/more usable power/lower torque band/is just simply better show me any info supporting your claim? I have never seen anything that shows this. A quick google search does show this though.....

Needless to say dont say the 4.0 is any better than the 3.8. In fact they are almost identical even the transmissions are the same. (dont know anything about if they changed the gearing though too lazy to look that up.)
Mechanical Engineers Build weapons Civil Engineers build targets

Quote:
Originally Posted by cyberpyrot View Post
is it a plink plink kerrrrdunk? or more of a brrrrrconk doc doc miiiidge pang!!!? or is it a badonk ka donk? if it is the latter its just the normal fat *** of the JK

Last edited by COLOUXJ; 07-02-2013 at 09:29 PM.. Reason: Found a better graph. Makes my point even more true.
COLOUXJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-02-2013, 11:05 PM   #116
dodgethejeep

Quote:
The worst thing they have done to the jk as there are many, is give it a fat *** and make it bigger.
Its obeast, needs to be put on a diet. But don't blame the track width, or the constant dirt diet. Blame society. They did it, its their fault. Don't hate the jk for the way it looks, you must accept that all jeeps are not made the same. Just cuz the jk down the street gets more supreme then your doesn't give you the right to show off your headlights and flat fenders. What if that jk came in with sawsall marks cuz you made fun of its bumper? Its not its fault if it needs winched sometimes. And all trees should be moved so the jk does feel left out .

Sorry ran out of material.
Unread 07-03-2013, 05:26 AM   #117
cyberpyrot
2012 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by atldude View Post
Been reading this thread since inception and its been fun!

I took one of my veh. for service today and decided to check out the new jeeps on the lot. They look really nice without a doubt. There were a few that were all tricked out with lifts, tires, winches stingers etc. Imho they all looked really good (mostly 2012-13 models) the lady was with me and since she's only seen my YJ up close so i decided to keep quiet and see what she says. Here's how it went, her words not mine:

- wow this jeep feels like a car inside
- plastic center panel is bending in when rolling the windows down
- why are the fenders so huge and flimsy
- look i push on the metal body and the panels are bending
- don't like the 4 door, that's just another SUV practically

I told her we can go home with one today if she liked it. She said no way YJ has personality and sturdy rugged feel which lacks in these new jeeps. She knows nothing about cars or jeeps or motor vehicles in general lol

Anyway, i personally think they look bad ***. Don't have space otherwise I would get one but don't want to rid of my YJ to fit it in

I showed my wife a yj last night and asked her what she thought.

1. Awww how cute the yj is sooo tiny
2. Doesn't the mailman drive that to deliver mail?
3. Can you even get parts for those anymore?
4. That thing is more rust then jeep!
5. Why is that geo tracker trying to go off road ooooooh.

then I asked her if she wanted one and I could buy her four right now for the price of one jk and she said now because we get alot of Hurricanes here and if the need arised she wanted to be able to push debris out of the way when bugging out.

hahahahahahahaha I'm jus ****ing with you mang....

Thought of the day
Trust people who like big butts they cannot lie...
cyberpyrot is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-03-2013, 06:05 AM   #118
ashland82391
Out of money yet...Yup!

1993 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by cyberpyrot View Post

I showed my wife a yj last night and asked her what she thought.

1. Awww how cute the yj is sooo tiny
2. Doesn't the mailman drive that to deliver mail?
3. Can you even get parts for those anymore?
4. That thing is more rust then jeep!
5. Why is that geo tracker trying to go off road ooooooh.

then I asked her if she wanted one and I could buy her four right now for the price of one jk and she said now because we get alot of Hurricanes here and if the need arised she wanted to be able to push debris out of the way when bugging out.

hahahahahahahaha I'm jus ****ing with you mang....
Shut your face with that blasphemy!
ashland82391 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-03-2013, 06:50 AM   #119
bogleparsons
2013 JK Wrangler 

Eh, I own a YJ and a 2013 and one thing non debatable is that my YJ is a mans Jeep. Nothing scares that beast!
Unread 07-03-2013, 07:55 AM   #120
Billy
Unlimited Ammo

1993 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by takeitsleazy View Post
Eh, I find a lot of TJ/YJ owners have an elitist attitude towards the JK. It is a great vehicle. But if you already have a TJ, I dont know why youd spend the money. Youre already having fun in a Jeep!
Same way CJ owners (purists) have an elitist attitude to everyone else. haha. But Its not like we run around with this attitude because "I have more money than you and thats why I bought an H2." It's because YJ's and TJ's work. they have a track record for being bulletproof and the owners who drive them revel in that.

Don't get me wrong, The JK is a fine vehicle. but it hasnt been 10 years since the first one rolled off the line. Nobody really knows how these rigs stand up to time, weather, and abuse. And since they only recently came up with the Pentastar V6 (I'm a fan BTW), nobody has a gauge as to how that engine will perform over time.

the elitist attitude comes from owners of vehicles that have been proven to be winners. the JK hasn't even taken the test yet IMO.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grewe02 View Post
Pros of a JK over a TJ:
Swaybar disconnect.
Larger wheel wells.
Beefier stock suspension parts.

Pros of a TJ over a JK:
Everything else you can possibly think of, imagine, dream about, or theorize.

Not only that, but you can buy all of the afore-mentioned JK pros for a TJ from an aftermarket source.

Verdict: TJ wins.

Edit: Facebook brought me here
Wide range and availability of after market parts are definitely a check mark in the TJ column...

Twitter @dutchoven86
Billy is offline   Reply With Quote

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.