Advantages of JK over TJ?? - Page 7 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > Wrangler General Discussion > Advantages of JK over TJ??

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineBill Baird Motorsports DIY parts - NalinMFG.comComponent speaker deal for your dash - NalinMFG

Unread 06-28-2013, 01:39 PM   #91
fillerup
2004 TJ Wrangler 

The JK is the "new Jeep" and just like all new Jeeps in the past they get flamed. My pick is the TJ, I just like them better. I have a 2004 Rubicon with 60,000 miles, however it's not my DD.
I don't mind the looks of a JK two door but I will say that the 4 door JKU's are just butt ugly. There I said it. Butt ugly.
If a Corvette was made with 4 doors what would think? Butt ugly!
If a Mustang was made with 4 doors what would think? Butt ugly!
If a Jeep Wrangler was made with 4 doors? You guessed it.

fillerup is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-28-2013, 04:25 PM   #92
TrailJ
2006 LJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by fillerup
The JK is the "new Jeep" and just like all new Jeeps in the past they get flamed. My pick is the TJ, I just like them better. I have a 2004 Rubicon with 60,000 miles, however it's not my DD.
I don't mind the looks of a JK two door but I will say that the 4 door JKU's are just butt ugly. There I said it. Butt ugly.
If a Corvette was made with 4 doors what would think? Butt ugly!
If a Mustang was made with 4 doors what would think? Butt ugly!
If a Jeep Wrangler was made with 4 doors? You guessed it.
It's the porsche panamerica of the jeep world.

'06 LJ
TrailJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-29-2013, 12:21 AM   #93
xSoFx
2006 WK 

Who cares what the Jeep looks like, they are the Scion xB of SUV's. But yet have the performance of military grade vehicles, no matter what year they come from. The perfect vehicle for intense parking lot jamborees.
xSoFx is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-29-2013, 08:13 AM   #94
Imped
Web Wheeler

2004 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by TrailJ View Post
It's the porsche panamera of the jeep world.

'06 LJ
Fixed.
Imped is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-29-2013, 08:45 AM   #95
mike_dippert
hodophobic

2005 LJ Wrangler 

The only reason I woukd buy an 07-11 JK is if I could make a profit from flipping it.

If I was dropping the coin for a 12+ JK, well, I'm not sure if I would.
JF taught me that the 2.5L, Ax-5 and D35 together are so powerful that angels weep when I shift into 4LO.
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrblaine View Post
The only thing a bicycle inner tube is good for, is tying a knot in the end of when you run out of condoms.
mike_dippert is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-29-2013, 10:46 AM   #96
wendell
1987 YJ Wrangler 

The flaming of the jk runs a lot deeper than with previous models with real jeepers. It's the bastard child of Chrysler with nothing left of it's roots but the name.
wendell is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-29-2013, 11:00 AM   #97
bhoch
2012 JK Wrangler 

These threads are always a lot of good comedy.

Bill
bhoch is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-29-2013, 12:27 PM   #98
jjvw
Hipster Jeep

2003 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by wendell View Post
The flaming of the jk runs a lot deeper than with previous models with real jeepers. It's the bastard child of Chrysler with nothing left of it's roots but the name.
This is my stance, but with qualification. Don't forget that Bantam/Ford/Willys made the first flat fendered "jeep". The flat fender style is something Kaiser inherited from Willys. The round fendered CJ is something that AMC inherited from Kaiser. The YJ is simply something Chrysler inherited from AMC. The TJ can be considered the transitional Jeep from AMC to Chrysler. The JK is fully Chrysler-for better or worse. As a historical curiosity, I have to wonder what the criticism of the YJ would have been if AMC had survived long enough to produce the YJ with their name on it. The fair assessment got muddied as soon as we treated it like a Chrysler design (ugly square headlights and a frilly bourgeois dashboard on a Jeep? Good job Chrysler!). AMC had a good history of taking big chances with their product designs, so maybe our fathers wouldn't have cared so much about an AMC YJ (modern square headlights and finally a real dashboard on a Jeep? Good job American Motors!). Chrysler is the only parent company that has hung on to Jeep long enough to make it their own. Everyone else only managed to get in a few moderate design changes before collapsing.

However, this only matters if you concern yourself with history and tradition. I'm not sure how much any of that matters when it comes to cars and trucks outside of a fun debate. How many of the still present old brands and marques have maintained their sense of continued evolution and refinement the way Jeep did for nearly 60 years? Land Rover & Porsche maybe? I would like to say Mustang, Camero and Corvette, but I feel like their brand identities necessitate massive redesigns with each new version. Jeep, despite have been bounced around between four owners over the course of six decades, (somehow or as the result of) managed to keep a fairly conservative and consistant design and image. FWIW, not many brands can say that. Time will tell if Real Jeep's true history ended in 2006 or if it still lives on today.
jjvw is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-29-2013, 03:10 PM   #99
atldude
1995 YJ Wrangler 

Been reading this thread since inception and its been fun!

I took one of my veh. for service today and decided to check out the new jeeps on the lot. They look really nice without a doubt. There were a few that were all tricked out with lifts, tires, winches stingers etc. Imho they all looked really good (mostly 2012-13 models) the lady was with me and since she's only seen my YJ up close so i decided to keep quiet and see what she says. Here's how it went, her words not mine:

- wow this jeep feels like a car inside
- plastic center panel is bending in when rolling the windows down
- why are the fenders so huge and flimsy
- look i push on the metal body and the panels are bending
- don't like the 4 door, that's just another SUV practically

I told her we can go home with one today if she liked it. She said no way YJ has personality and sturdy rugged feel which lacks in these new jeeps. She knows nothing about cars or jeeps or motor vehicles in general lol

Anyway, i personally think they look bad ***. Don't have space otherwise I would get one but don't want to rid of my YJ to fit it in
atldude is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-29-2013, 03:29 PM   #100
ops5
2005 TJ Wrangler 

I was down at the dealer last week getting some work done, and took a stroll around the lot. They had couple of 10th anniversary rubicons, those things were nice! Really liked the vent hood on them.
ops5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-30-2013, 11:25 AM   #101
HOKIES2010
Web Wheeler

2011 JK Wrangler 

We have on 06 TJ and a 11 JKUR. I really wanted an LJ before I bought the JKUR but I needed the extra room for my Great Dane and Aussie.

I like the feel of the TJ, I always have. To me it feels like Jeep, rides like a Jeep and drives like a Jeep. I have had both of the vehicles in 12 plus hour road trips. The JKUR, even lifted on 37s rides nicer. If I only wanted to play off-road I would pick the TJ hands down but for dual purpose I prefer my JKUR.

I couldn't stand all the plastic so I got new fenders and bumpers. I didn't like the 32s on the big frame so I got 37s. I didn't lack the lack of power so I picked the appropriate gears.

It has power windows and locks. My doors usually stay on because of space but I run my soft top with no rear or side windows in it so there is no since to locking it. I have no carpet and I do not care if it leaks or gets wet. The only thing I really don't like is the accelerator on the JKs. The softer metal is what it is. I personally don't care if I have some trail damage.

I love both Jeeps and we wheel the hell out of them any chance we get.

I have been in 2 different clubs in 2 different states and I have wheeled my JKUR stock and modded. The only time I couldn't keep up or outperform stock was quick up and overs and really tight spaces. Since I have built it up I haven't wheeled with anyone that out performed me in any one aspect. And that's with CJs, YJs or TJs that have had considerable work done to them. The JK performs well. I like the guy that said the TJ is better in REAL off-road situations.

Call a JK what it is. Its still a Jeep but the majority of owners have been changed from purists to soccer moms. I really can't stand how many whiny *** JK owners there are but you can't fault the product for bells and whistles because of the market they went after. I think after the JKs don't cost an arm and a leg to own you will see more of them abused.
Unread 07-01-2013, 11:50 AM   #102
wendell
1987 YJ Wrangler 

As for a history leason, the yj is an AMC built and designed jeep. Chrysler took over AMC in mid 1987 after the yj was already in production by AMC. The AMC yj was in production until 1990. From 87-90 the yj's were all AMC and even a lot of the parts were still stamped with AMC and the keys and so on. After 1990 Chrysler began to get involved with jeep more than just owning it and building AMC jeeps. In 1990 Chrysler put the 4.0 in the yj with their FI system, but still pretty much AMC. Also after 1990 the AMC logo disappeared from the parts and keys on jeep products. The tj was the brain child of Chrysler and the old AMC designers that were still hard at work. The tj still had a lot of AMC still left in her. Fast forward to 2007 and the jk, no AMC designers left, it's 100% Chrysler. There was still a little willys left in each new model until 07. There's nothing left of willys, kiaser or AMC in the jk. Jeep died all but the name after 06. So if you own a 87-90 yj, it's as much AMC as a cj-7 and not much different after 90. Square head lights don't mean much now and sorta cute. CJ's had round lights and wranglers had square lights. So if you have a wrangler and want it to look like an original, it needs square lights ha ha. This is why real jeepers have so much problem with the jk, there's nothing jeep about it other than the name. For some it doesn't matter, but for diehards, it's everything.
wendell is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-01-2013, 12:22 PM   #103
Filthy-Beast
Web Wheeler

2006 LJ Wrangler 

Quote:
This is why real jeepers have so much problem with the jk, there's nothing jeep about it other than the name
What's not Jeep in this list?

solid Dana axles
Available selectable lockers
Available 4:1 transfer case
Hard top, soft top, no top
full doors, half doors, no doors
rear tire carrier
floor drain plugs
folding, flat windshield
most capable production 4x4 made
at night from the front you can still spot a Wrangler

The forces of regulations, modern production, reduced weight materials, buying patterns all affect the JK and what will be it's replacement. There is no vehicle made 20, 15 or even 10 years ago that has not changed its general look, added more technology, more plastic and thinner metal. To expect otherwise would be to lose touch with reality.

For Sale: 2013 4dr JK Painted black Hard Top JKUR 18/59 springs and shocks

97 TJ: daughter 1 - 2.5L, Auto, 2" BB, 31" GY Duratrac
98 TJ: Daugher 2 - 4.0L, 5spd, D44 rear
06 LJ Rubicon: mine - Rokmen full up-armor, 8 adjustable CAs, front bumper, sliders, corners, Shrockworks rear bumper, 3" AEV/BDS lift, Currie HD stearing and Antirock, MT/r - k 35x12.5, SuperWinch, MC Overlines, York OBA
13 JKU Rubicon: Wife's for now, Ace Rock rails & rear bumper tire carrier, Truck Lites, MC Game changer 3.5 lift, RR skids, PSC Brawler front bumper, Warn 9.5cti-s, 35" GY MTRs
Filthy-Beast is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-01-2013, 05:32 PM   #104
AlbertaJeeper
2013 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Filthy-Beast View Post

What's not Jeep in this list?

solid Dana axles
Available selectable lockers
Available 4:1 transfer case
Hard top, soft top, no top
full doors, half doors, no doors
rear tire carrier
floor drain plugs
folding, flat windshield
most capable production 4x4 made
at night from the front you can still spot a Wrangler

The forces of regulations, modern production, reduced weight materials, buying patterns all affect the JK and what will be it's replacement. There is no vehicle made 20, 15 or even 10 years ago that has not changed its general look, added more technology, more plastic and thinner metal. To expect otherwise would be to lose touch with reality.
I like you, you are an entirely reasonable person! Things change over time, but for the most part the Jeep hasn't. The REAL workings of the vehicle are still the same
AlbertaJeeper is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-01-2013, 08:35 PM   #105
Ej132
2000 TJ Wrangler 

Sorry Filthy Beast but jks do not have flat windshields, they are curved slightly.

2000 TJ
Ej132 is offline   Reply With Quote

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.