Advantages of JK over TJ?? - Page 5 - JeepForum.com

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
post #61 of 185 Old 06-25-2013, 04:51 PM
CrawlingForward
Registered User
1995 YJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Brazoria
Posts: 2,400
Don't listen to the haters.

I've got a YJ and JKU and have tooled around with many a TJ.

If it's not as spartan as the YJ, then screw it, go with the modern beast that in the JK. It wheels incredibly well right out the box, great highway comfort, still pretty spartan compared to most vehicles on the road, and comes stock with 32"s. They're awesome.


My Other Jeep Is A Jeep - Crawlingforward's Jeep-Related Adventures

95 YJ, Rio Grande - The Wannabe Sleeper Wheeler
2010 JKU, Islander Edition - The Burly Stock Overlander

- North Shore Jeep Club -
Build/Wheel/Break/Educate/Upgrade/Repeat
CrawlingForward is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #62 of 185 Old 06-25-2013, 04:56 PM
1shotwonder
Registered User
2002 TJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: Berks county
Posts: 384
It's all everyones personal opinion... Take a TJ for a dip in the water, then take a JK with all the power seats mirrors windows etc etc for a dip in the water.. Tell me which is easier, both physically and financially to repair
Personal opinion... JK's will win hands down on a street test anyday.. Depending on how you wheel, the longer wheel base will get you hung up more...6 of one, half a dozen of another.
At the end of the day, its still a jeep, no matter what your opinion is on it, and it will still pull your *** out if you're stuck.. And thats all that matters

Save 1000 elk. Smoke a wolf pack
Sometimes the light at the end of the tunnel is a muzzle flash
1shotwonder is offline  
post #63 of 185 Old 06-25-2013, 05:01 PM
CrawlingForward
Registered User
1995 YJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Brazoria
Posts: 2,400
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1shotwonder View Post
Take a TJ for a dip in the water, then take a JK with all the power seats mirrors windows etc etc for a dip in the water.. Tell me which is easier, both physically and financially
Done both. Our JK was *way* easier to drain.

And another thing: Not all JKs have power seats, windows, mirrors, etc.

I *hate* how people assume that.

Our JK:
Manual seats
Zippable windows on half-doors (more spartan than your fancy full doors on most TJs)
manual mirrors
electronic console that does fine exposed in major thunderstorms


The new JKs can be just as spartan as the old TJs. It's the *consumers* that have gotten soft.

My Other Jeep Is A Jeep - Crawlingforward's Jeep-Related Adventures

95 YJ, Rio Grande - The Wannabe Sleeper Wheeler
2010 JKU, Islander Edition - The Burly Stock Overlander

- North Shore Jeep Club -
Build/Wheel/Break/Educate/Upgrade/Repeat
CrawlingForward is offline  
post #64 of 185 Old 06-25-2013, 05:02 PM
roadyrob
Registered User
1987 YJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: west palm beach fl
Posts: 1,979
Quote:
Originally Posted by Xpress View Post




Mmmmmm.... baconn....
great stuff! bypasses the stomach and goes straight to the arteries.

Do everything with a positive attitude, it won't always work but you'll piss enough people off to make it worthwhile.

the voices aren't real but they sure have good ideas.
roadyrob is offline  
post #65 of 185 Old 06-25-2013, 05:08 PM
Ironhead
Registered User
2003 TJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Westchester
Posts: 4,247
Quote:
Originally Posted by CrawlingForward View Post
Zippable windows on half-doors (more spartan than your fancy full doors on most TJs)
I didnt know you could still get half doors with zip up windows as a factory option
Ironhead is offline  
post #66 of 185 Old 06-25-2013, 05:08 PM
1shotwonder
Registered User
2002 TJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: Berks county
Posts: 384
Quote:
Originally Posted by CrawlingForward View Post

And another thing: Not all JKs have power seats, windows, mirrors, etc.

I *hate* how people assume that.
Oh, I know that not all JK's come with power everything.. But it's just that consumers have become lazier, and it's more convenient to push a button for the mirrors and to have a nice warm butt on a cold day..

Save 1000 elk. Smoke a wolf pack
Sometimes the light at the end of the tunnel is a muzzle flash
1shotwonder is offline  
post #67 of 185 Old 06-25-2013, 06:53 PM
GrassLakeRon
Registered User
2006 LJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Grass Lake
Posts: 288
Go on the lot and see what is selling...not the base model...the heated seat, latte warming, soccer mom version. They are selling like hot cakes. I ran into one at the dealer because my niece wanted a new jk. The couple drove up in a 2012 rubi looking to buy another. I asked them if they wheel.... boy I got a look, just like a lab puppy when you say sit. His rubi never saw dirt but was a symbol to show his buddies hummer sucked and in his words, " he doesnt take his off road". Hum... so his wife wanted the dozer colored one because "my friends like the color and my other one drives so well". Be happy Fiat listens to them on surveys because they will choose the next jeep wrangler. I am hearing it will have backup cameras and will park itself.
GrassLakeRon is offline  
post #68 of 185 Old 06-25-2013, 08:03 PM
AmmitOsiris
Registered User
1990 YJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: Brentwood
Posts: 3,750
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spank

I can take a VW bus off-road, too. What other vehicles can or cannot do and the amount of frills they have is irrelevant in regards to what makes or doesn't make a Jeep. The fact you can take a stock, damn-near featureless JK Sport off the lot and tackle most trails is exactly what makes it a Jeep. It's what has made all the previous line of Wranglers "Jeeps" as well.

If you can show me a JK that can't do something on the trail that a TJ, YJ, or CJ can do because of its power windows, remote start, or Sirius radio, I'll eat the corn out of your poop.

The plastic fenders, heated seats, power windows, and other creature comfort features found in the Wrangler are what keeps Jeep alive. If Jeep catered solely to the "no-nonsense" enthusiast crowd that only enjoys hitting trails, they would've gone extinct a long time ago. Thank a soccer mom driving around in a fully-loaded Rubicon that'll never see a trail, nor carry a payload beyond screaming kids and a bag of groceries. She's the reason you can still by a Jeep today.

I'm extremely proud of my JK and it hasn't been able to do anything my old TJ or YJ couldn't do.
I have Sirius xm radio in my YJ.....
AmmitOsiris is offline  
post #69 of 185 Old 06-25-2013, 08:22 PM
Spank
Registered User
2014 JK Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Colorado
Posts: 1,255
Quote:
Originally Posted by AmmitOsiris View Post
I have Sirius xm radio in my YJ.....
Neat.

'14 Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon
Spank is offline  
post #70 of 185 Old 06-25-2013, 09:32 PM
Grewe02
Guns > Swords
 
Grewe02's Avatar
1981 CJ5 
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: San Diego
Posts: 5,169
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by CrawlingForward View Post
Done both. Our JK was *way* easier to drain.

And another thing: Not all JKs have power seats, windows, mirrors, etc.

I *hate* how people assume that.

Our JK:
Manual seats
Zippable windows on half-doors (more spartan than your fancy full doors on most TJs)
manual mirrors
electronic console that does fine exposed in major thunderstorms


The new JKs can be just as spartan as the old TJs. It's the *consumers* that have gotten soft.
My CJ doesn't have:
seats
doors
mirrors
electronics

Beat that!

Andy, KD8EIA
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jetscuh
I've had a crush on the Prius since it's debut. I got somethin' wrong upstairs.
Grewe02 is online now  
post #71 of 185 Old 06-25-2013, 09:51 PM
CrawlingForward
Registered User
1995 YJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Brazoria
Posts: 2,400
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grewe02 View Post

My CJ doesn't have:
seats
doors
mirrors
electronics

Beat that!
....touché, ha ha

(Even the YJ can't compete with that. No windshield, though!)

My Other Jeep Is A Jeep - Crawlingforward's Jeep-Related Adventures

95 YJ, Rio Grande - The Wannabe Sleeper Wheeler
2010 JKU, Islander Edition - The Burly Stock Overlander

- North Shore Jeep Club -
Build/Wheel/Break/Educate/Upgrade/Repeat
CrawlingForward is offline  
post #72 of 185 Old 06-25-2013, 10:22 PM
AlbertaJeeper
Registered User
2013 JK Wrangler 
 
Join Date: May 2013
Location: Edmonton
Posts: 629
Haha this is ridiculous. All CJs, YJs, TJs, AND JKs are AWESOME off road. I got a JKU so I can have a ton of room for camping gear and bikes, and I can only have one vehicle. I just wheeled it in Moab and it did great stock. And yes I got heated seats, but it can also (and does) hit -40 or 50 here in the winter. It has solid axles, and the doors and top come off in no time at all. I have no problem with someone preferring another model over this one, but there's definitely a ton of people who aren't soccer moms driving them. And if you really think this isn't a Jeep...then I guess I don't want to drive a Jeep!

Moral of the story: all Jeeps are awesome, quit with the whining and the pissing contests!!
AlbertaJeeper is offline  
post #73 of 185 Old 06-26-2013, 05:00 AM
bhoch
Registered User
2012 JK Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: Lliberty Hill
Posts: 772
I really don't care which model you drive. I'll wave at ya when I see ya regardless.
bhoch is offline  
post #74 of 185 Old 06-26-2013, 06:06 AM
MadGerbil
Registered User
2013 JK Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: St Johns
Posts: 378
When I bought my Jeep the salesperson, on his check list, was required to show me how to manually roll a window up and down.
True story.
MadGerbil is offline  
post #75 of 185 Old 06-26-2013, 07:40 AM
bogleparsons
Registered User
2013 JK Wrangler 
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: fayetteville
Posts: 1,959
Quote:
Originally Posted by MadGerbil View Post
When I bought my Jeep the salesperson, on his check list, was required to show me how to manually roll a window up and down.
True story.
That is because we have idiot-proofed the world, and now the world is full of idiots...

If it's not supposed to move and does use duct tape.
If it's supposed to move and doesn't use WD40
bogleparsons is offline  
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.



Email Address:
OR

Log-in









Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.




Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page



Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome