Advantages of JK over TJ?? - Page 3 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > Wrangler General Discussion > Advantages of JK over TJ??

The Original 3/8" Ruffstuff Diff Cover!Ruffstuff 3 Link Kit!The Ruffstuff Optima Battery Box!

Unread 06-24-2013, 01:27 AM   #31
ashland82391
Out of money yet...Yup!

1993 YJ Wrangler 

I say tj! when i drove the jk i didn't feel like i was driving a Jeep, it didn't have much power, and it wasn't all that smooth.

Tj vs jk vs YJ..... I say YJ!!!!!! :-)

ashland82391 is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-24-2013, 04:20 AM   #32
bogleparsons
2013 JK Wrangler 

eh , I have a YJ on 35's and its a beast.

Also just got a 13' sport with 3.73's I like it alot.

Lots of power ( this is with stock wheels) quiet and smooth, it's nice when my kidney's are bruised from the YJ.
Unread 06-24-2013, 12:41 PM   #33
wendell
1987 YJ Wrangler 

A tj is a real jeep, still not sure what a jk is. There's really not much jeep left on a jk, even the 7 slot grill is deformed. It doesn't matter how good a jk is off road, that doesn't make it a jeep. "Heck", a hummer, land rover, bronco and scout are good off road, that doesn't make them a jeep. The jeep started as a simple idea of a tough no nonsense affordable little off road vehicle with few frills. Some how this all was lost on the jk with it's big ***, plastic fenders, puke engine, heated seats, power windows and high price. Jeep kept to the concept over the years with a few changes to each new model until the jk. It exploded into some thing most jeepers don't even recognize, it's more Chrysler and less jeep than ever before. "My God man', GETS SOME JEEP PRIDE AND GET A TJ!!!!!
wendell is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-24-2013, 01:15 PM   #34
GrassLakeRon
2006 LJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by wendell View Post
A tj is a real jeep, still not sure what a jk is. There's really not much jeep left on a jk, even the 7 slot grill is deformed. It doesn't matter how good a jk is off road, that doesn't make it a jeep. "Heck", a hummer, land rover, bronco and scout are good off road, that doesn't make them a jeep. The jeep started as a simple idea of a tough no nonsense affordable little off road vehicle with few frills. Some how this all was lost on the jk with it's big ***, plastic fenders, puke engine, heated seats, power windows and high price. Jeep kept to the concept over the years with a few changes to each new model until the jk. It exploded into some thing most jeepers don't even recognize, it's more Chrysler and less jeep than ever before. "My God man', GETS SOME JEEP PRIDE AND GET A TJ!!!!!
Can I get an AMEN?
GrassLakeRon is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-24-2013, 02:24 PM   #35
jjvw
Hipster Jeep

2003 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Don't you really mean get a CJ? My dad was in a 4 wheel drive club back in the mid-80's into the late-90's. He drove, and still has, a '73 CJ5. I have very clear memories of the ridicule directed at the brand new YJ's not being "real Jeeps". "Yuppie Jeep" goes back almost 25 years to day one sometime in 1987.

Point being that every new Jeep redesign is disparaged by the old timers. I can image the battle weary Willys guys turning their noses up at the new Kaisers they met on the back roads. I missed the point in history when the YJ was accepted into the club only to turn around and make fun of the new TJ with its good looks, comfortable coil springs, working heaters, AC, CC,... etc.

That being said, I am not a fan of the JK for all the reasons stated above - too much plastic, too luxurious, no history. Every new Jeep until now has maintained a clear tie to its predecessor. Despite Jeeps long messy history of mixed blood, TJ's and YJ's are obvious descendants of the CJ-7, both stylistically and mechanically. The Chrysler TJ still used a few AMC parts 20 years after its demise. The JK was a ground up redesign and a clean break from the evolution that ended with the TJ. History interests me and matters to me. Silly as it is, that is why I chose a TJ over a JK during my recent search for my first Jeep. However, I understand that not everyone has the same interests or concerns as me. I have no real reason to doubt that the JK is perfectly fine as it is. Jeep or not, it is what it is. Anything else placed on JK is just irrelevant baggage.

I will be curious to see how history will treat the JK over the next 10 years once Chrysler, or who ever owns Jeep at that point, comes out with the next new Wrangler-now with a full carbon fiber body and a direct injection 4 cylinder as the upgraded good engine.
jjvw is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-24-2013, 02:32 PM   #36
Utah_Jay
2007 JK Wrangler 

You asked for the advantages of a JK. 4 doors and holds 5 passengers. Longer wheel base. I don't feel like I am squished in there when the doors are closed. On the TJ's the door presses up against my arm which is uncomfortable. I actually have room for my gear and groceries. Not sure why all the hate. I am on my 6th Jeep. This is by far my favorite. I have owned Commanche's, Cherokee's, TJ's, still have a Grand Cherokee and my JKU. I know everyone loves the inline 4.0. Personally I had to rebuild heads on 2 out of 3 of mine before 100k miles due to cooling issues, and to be honest it really turned me off on the motor.

Off road my JK wheels just fine. I run Moab mostly and it has handled every trail I put it on. Yes the motor came from a mini-van. So what, it is a proven motor. Many of those lasted 250-300k with proper maintenance. It is a bit sluggish going up a steep grade on the freeway, Jeep didn't gear it correctly but it is still a great vehicle. It does great off road.

I still don't get all the JK hate. People saying they ain't a real Jeep? Give me a break. It appeals to many people out there including myself. I am seeing more and more JK's every time I go out on the trail so I think it appeals to many more people than it doesn't.

Like others have said, drive one and decide for yourself.
Unread 06-24-2013, 02:53 PM   #37
Habber

As per my original post, I was just looking for good/bad comparison between 2 dr Tj/JK. I wasn't looking for a pissing contest between the owners of both models. From what I got from this thread, as a DD, most would recommend a JK however since I have a DD, a TJ is a perfect second car to screw around in and not have to worry about high repair costs or expensive mods.

My question at this point would be knowing my current situation (very lucky to be in) is a JK (lifted, 35's 2010 only soft top, 30k miles) worthwhile for an extra $6000 over my current 70k mile TJ also with lift and 33's?

Jeep TJ 2001 4.0 5MT
Habber is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-24-2013, 02:59 PM   #38
jjvw
Hipster Jeep

2003 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Habber View Post
As per my original post, I was just looking for good/bad comparison between 2 dr Tj/JK. I wasn't looking for a pissing contest between the owners of both models. ...
Welcome to the internet discussion boards and all the anonymous strong feelings and tangents they are famous for. Civil wars have started over lesser pissing contests.
Unread 06-24-2013, 03:06 PM   #39
Habber

Not hating, just looking for advice from the good people who take the time to help me out. It's the best advice I can get.

Now on to my last question.....

Jeep TJ 2001 4.0 5MT
Habber is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-24-2013, 03:27 PM   #40
jjvw
Hipster Jeep

2003 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Habber View Post

Now on to my last question.....

Jeep TJ 2001 4.0 5MT
The answer is yes. I vote to keep your crude and uncomfortable "real" Jeep! Put that $6K into mods, upgrades and keeping the 4.0 alive for 200,000 miles
Unread 06-24-2013, 06:28 PM   #41
Deuskid
2013 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by jjvw View Post
The answer is yes. I vote to keep your crude and uncomfortable "real" Jeep! Put that $6K into mods, upgrades and keeping the 4.0 alive for 200,000 miles
Ultimately everyone has to make the buy decision for themselves. My personal belief is there is no bad CJ, YJ, TJ or JK [although there are a few bad owners, who abuse them].

I do believe that it is not incumbent upon the OP to 'keep the 4.0 alive' ... they have proven they can do that all on their own, regardless of who owns them... for millions of miles now.

just my opinion

YMMV

John
Deuskid is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-24-2013, 07:48 PM   #42
Xpress
1989 YJ Wrangler 

To me the Jeep died when leaf springs went out the window.
-2004 Kawasaki KLR650 sunny day driver
[QUOTE=mudsweatNgearz;21162729]Leave em off and weld an I beam on. Bumperetts just scream homo.[/QUOTE]
"A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the [B][I]RIGHT[/I][/B] of the people to keep and bear Arms, [B][I]SHALL NOT BE INFRINGED[/I][/B]."
Xpress is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-24-2013, 08:02 PM   #43
ashland82391
Out of money yet...Yup!

1993 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xpress View Post
To me the Jeep died when leaf springs went out the window.
Amen brotha!!!! :-)
ashland82391 is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-24-2013, 09:54 PM   #44
jjvw
Hipster Jeep

2003 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deuskid View Post
Ultimately everyone has to make the buy decision for themselves. My personal belief is there is no bad CJ, YJ, TJ or JK [although there are a few bad owners, who abuse them].

I do believe that it is not incumbent upon the OP to 'keep the 4.0 alive' ... they have proven they can do that all on their own, regardless of who owns them... for millions of miles now.

just my opinion

YMMV

John
OK?? Then keep the Jeep with the maintenance free engine.
Unread 06-25-2013, 12:14 AM   #45
Spank
2012 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
It doesn't matter how good a jk is off road, that doesn't make it a jeep. "Heck", a hummer, land rover, bronco and scout are good off road, that doesn't make them a jeep. The jeep started as a simple idea of a tough no nonsense affordable little off road vehicle with few frills.
I can take a VW bus off-road, too. What other vehicles can or cannot do and the amount of frills they have is irrelevant in regards to what makes or doesn't make a Jeep. The fact you can take a stock, damn-near featureless JK Sport off the lot and tackle most trails is exactly what makes it a Jeep. It's what has made all the previous line of Wranglers "Jeeps" as well.

If you can show me a JK that can't do something on the trail that a TJ, YJ, or CJ can do because of its power windows, remote start, or Sirius radio, I'll eat the corn out of your poop.

Quote:
Some how this all was lost on the jk with it's big ***, plastic fenders, puke engine, heated seats, power windows and high price. Jeep kept to the concept over the years with a few changes to each new model until the jk.
The plastic fenders, heated seats, power windows, and other creature comfort features found in the Wrangler are what keeps Jeep alive. If Jeep catered solely to the "no-nonsense" enthusiast crowd that only enjoys hitting trails, they would've gone extinct a long time ago. Thank a soccer mom driving around in a fully-loaded Rubicon that'll never see a trail, nor carry a payload beyond screaming kids and a bag of groceries. She's the reason you can still by a Jeep today.

Quote:
It exploded into some thing most jeepers don't even recognize, it's more Chrysler and less jeep than ever before. "My God man', GETS SOME JEEP PRIDE AND GET A TJ!!!!!
I'm extremely proud of my JK and it hasn't been able to do anything my old TJ or YJ couldn't do.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.