Advantages of JK over TJ?? - Page 2 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > Wrangler General Discussion > Advantages of JK over TJ??

Steering and more from Ruffstuff!Ruffstuff 3 Link Kit!FS: Wrangler RGB Multicolor Fog Light LEDs: Awesome Effect

Unread 06-23-2013, 05:05 PM   #16
TSEJEEPERS
1993 YJ Wrangler 

I really do like the JKs, so I am not going to flame.
A paid off TJ that you do not worry about body damage priceless.
True story.
Went to a offroad park with 3 JKs and 1 TJ Rubicon.
We got to the first rock garden, they were all spotting each other. Trying to firgure out the best line ect.
I was last in the group.
I got in my Jeep, heard the guy who had invited me along that had one of the JKs, Um you guys might want to get out of the way.
Sometimes it is nice to not worry too much about body damage.

Unread 06-23-2013, 05:15 PM   #17
StrizzyChris
2013 JK Wrangler 

I have come to not really discuss JK issues with Jeep purists. As soon as the 4door came out they had/have a negative attitude towards the name JK just like they did with the YJ and their square headlights. Now having said that, I would take my old 07 JKU, and most certainly my 2013 JKUR, over my previous YJ any day of the week! Much more capable out of the box.

With an unlimited you will have the pro's and con's of having a longer wheel base BUT with the larger fender wells you can accommodate much larger tires to help overcome the cons of that wheelbase with little to no mods! The one thing I will completely agree with is that the aftermarket has us by the balls with mods and charge a small fortune for EVERYTHING!

BUT with a 2.5" budget boost lift, 1.5" wheel spacers if you keep factory wheels, trimmed fenders, slight trimming of pinch seams(easy to do for a novice wrencher), and a procal you can be ready for 37's in a JK($700 total)....not nearly that easy in a TJ. Also you will have D44's front and rear(D30 front in non-rubicons ) to support the larger tires. If you keep all the extra weight down, youll be fine, but the JK can get pretty fat fast with mods. If you get a 2012+ JK with the 3.6L engine and 3.73 or 4.10 gearing you wont HAVE to regear to accommodate up to 37" tires BUT an 07-11 JK with the 3.8L "minivan" motor WILL need a regear to have any power at speads over 35mph.

Last edited by StrizzyChris; 06-23-2013 at 05:33 PM..
StrizzyChris is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-23-2013, 07:10 PM   #18
Xpress
1989 YJ Wrangler 

Buy a YJ. Lift it. Upgrade it. Wheel it. Enjoy the masses of savings you didn't have to spend on a TJ or JK parts cluster.

-1989 Jeep Wrangler 2.5L, soon to be 5.2L
-1996 Jeep Grand Cherokar 5.2L, donor and rainy day driver
-2004 Kawasaki KLR650 sunny day driver
[QUOTE=mudsweatNgearz;21162729]Leave em off and weld an I beam on. Bumperetts just scream homo.[/QUOTE]
"A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the [B][I]RIGHT[/I][/B] of the people to keep and bear Arms, [B][I]SHALL NOT BE INFRINGED[/I][/B]."
Xpress is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-23-2013, 07:31 PM   #19
Make mine a Jeep!

2012 JK Wrangler 

Iíve had/have two of each; TJs and JKs and loved them all. Proís and conís for each one but in the end they are all equal to me. Even my CJ can be added to my comments.

Too sit back and judge what Jeep is the best above all others is not truly a Jeep enthusiast in my eyes. I respect them all, new and old, modified or not.

Canít we just all get along?
1222 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-23-2013, 08:17 PM   #20
Habber

Someone please explain the "minivan" term used to describe the JK engine.

Jeep TJ 2001 4.0 5MT
Habber is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-23-2013, 08:25 PM   #21
purplepig
Web Wheeler

2000 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
You made me laugh on your analysis. Thanks.
me too
purplepig is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-23-2013, 08:29 PM   #22
Make mine a Jeep!

2012 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Habber View Post
Someone please explain the "minivan" term used to describe the JK engine.

Jeep TJ 2001 4.0 5MT
The 3.8 engine used in the 2007-2011 JKs was also a minivan engine.
1222 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-23-2013, 08:36 PM   #23
Habber

K. Thx. I thought it was worse issue. Thx for clearing it up.

That minivan engine has more power than my 180HP 4.0 that's 12 years old!

Jeep TJ 2001 4.0 5MT
Habber is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-23-2013, 09:37 PM   #24
ncb

Test drive a JK. You'll love it or hate it. I'd keep the TJ if you decide on a JK. If the JKs end up with IFS it will be more in demand.

I enjoy reading all the JK hate. People stereotype all JK owners as being a bunch of **** sticks on the forums and then cry about not getting waves from JK owners. My fake Jeep and I have a ****ing blast up in the Colorado Rockies. Peace!
ncb is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-23-2013, 09:58 PM   #25
markso125
1982 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Habber View Post
K. Thx. I thought it was worse issue. Thx for clearing it up.

That minivan engine has more power than my 180HP 4.0 that's 12 years old!

Jeep TJ 2001 4.0 5MT
Its the useable power, the motor has 19 more horsepower but it has a narrower torque band so it is not as good for using off road as the inline is.

The next thing you have to note is the JK has an curb weight of 3,760-4,340 lb wheras the TJ has a curb weight of 3,092-3,857 lb. (the 3,857 lb curb weight is the TJ Rubicon Unlimited) So that means the lowest of the low JK is almost as heavy as the TJ that has every bell and whistle stuck on it from the dealer. So that extra 10 hp is just to get the extra couple hundred pounds of jeep moving. Man how heavy would that thing be if it was all metal instead of being contracted out by Rubbermaid.
markso125 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-23-2013, 09:58 PM   #26
jeepwrangler97
1997 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by ncb View Post
Test drive a JK. You'll love it or hate it. I'd keep the TJ if you decide on a JK. If the JKs end up with IFS it will be more in demand.

I enjoy reading all the JK hate. People stereotype all JK owners as being a bunch of **** sticks on the forums and then cry about not getting waves from JK owners. My fake Jeep and I have a ****ing blast up in the Colorado Rockies. Peace!
This. ..you have to drive one to know.

...jks don't have the same charm to me but they're still fun & are good with the doors/top off ...just see if a jk fits you OP & you should know

Sent by a messenger bird
jeepwrangler97 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-23-2013, 10:11 PM   #27
moabmike
2006 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeepwrangler97 View Post
JK's have some benefits...I wouldn't want one though over a TJ

It's partially a personality thing...go drive one and see what you think. Personally, I think TJ's have a bit more charm and they feel more like you're in a Jeep.

Jk's are pretty quiet on the highway and are more car like...

I have had people ask me if I drive a "real Jeep" or a "new Jeep"...I don't hate on Jk's like some, but I still would take a YJ or TJ or LJ over one...Maybe I will want a 4 door when I'm old and have kids...but in addition to my TJ.

The 3.6L has power...but I love my straight 6 and not having an electronic throttle

I think it comes down to personality...JK's are cool..but I prefer TJ's...my buddy got a JK and loves it...

EDIT: I would rather be able to add an LJ into the mix before a 4 door if I could when I'm older
I also had a JK, now I dont. Simple . I have another TJ
moabmike is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-23-2013, 11:01 PM   #28
GAA2005
1991 YJ Wrangler 

Personally I would have to say go TJ. I have had two JK's a 4 door and most recently a 2 dr. I no longer have either and I purchased a 05 tj 4 banger that I will build my way. It is louder and has a more rough ride but in every sense to me the perfect Jeep I always wanted. I know that there are people out there that say it must have leaf springs to be a real Jeep, and there are people that say if it has the Jeep badge it is a real Jeep. What I say is find your taste, how you want to wheel, and make it your own. My opinion is where I landed with a TJ that I don't care to beat up and I wanted. 4 cyl so I could justify a v8 swap. But since opinions are like a** holes mine is farting out GO TJ.
GAA2005 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-23-2013, 11:13 PM   #29
3X4X4
2006 TJ Wrangler 

I do not completely hate the JK. I am sorry for being mean. I just wish they would have introduced it as a new model and carried on with a TJ Wrangler sized and TJ/YJ/CJ lineage vehicle, freeing the JK to go hard top, IFS etc. as an upscale product blazing new ground.

J
3X4X4 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-24-2013, 12:36 AM   #30
kennyboobear
2000 TJ Wrangler 

I have a 2000 TJ and have test drove many JKs. I think for the daily driver aspect, a JK wins hands down in terms of practicality. That said, if you've already paid off the TJ, and don't DD your TJ then you've really nothing to fret over.

On that note, I daily drove my TJ on 35s for year(s) and loved it. Still, a JK provides more creature comforts. As 1222 said, they both have various pros and cons but in the end are more or less equals. There's nothing that you can do to one and not the other, given the right tools and skills. Find out what your needs are and decide whether the monthly payment is worth your actual needs as opposed to your monetary desires. The worst thing you can ever do is impulse buy, especially when you already have something you love. You'll realize it later on down the road and kick yourself in the *** the entire time you have the new vehicle, until you get something comparable to the former.

I traded my first vehicle, a 92' XJ, for a sports coupe I thought I "had to have."

Kicked myself in the *** until I stumbled upon this little gem.

5 years, 50,000 miles, and 12 states later, she's yet to do anything but leave me with a giant **** eating grin on my face at all times. Make damn sure you're not making the same mistake, and make certain of that BEFORE you trade her in.

[COLOR="DimGray"]SILVER JEEP CLUB MEMBER #46[/COLOR]
[I][B]Get [/B][/I][B][COLOR="DimGray"][URL="http://www.savvyoffroad.com/"]Savvy.[/URL][/COLOR][/B][I][B][/B][/I]

[URL="http://www.facebook.com/SFFCustoms"]SFF Customs[/URL]

[QUOTE=GraKee99;10375372]Driving on snow is a lot like sex, it's a lot of fun but if you don't pay attention, you can really mess up someone's rear end.[/QUOTE]

[QUOTE=Gene Mooneyham]Not to burst your bubble, but California gets worse every year. Liberals, and illegals have ruined any chance California had to get turned around, it's a sinking ship.[/QUOTE]

[URL="http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f22/finally-2000-tj-slow-build-very-slow-947018/"]My 2000 Silverstone TJ Build[/URL]
kennyboobear is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.