Advantages of JK over TJ?? - Page 12 - JeepForum.com
Search  
Sign Up   Today's Posts
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > Wrangler General Discussion > Advantages of JK over TJ??

FS: Wranger BRIGHT License Plate LED! Just $3! Great valueStainless Steel Door Hinge PinsPoly Door Hinge Bushings

Reply
Unread 07-09-2013, 10:31 AM   #166
Lovemachine
Registered User
2005 TJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: , Indiana
Posts: 116
If I'm ever able to afford one, I'd definitely wait for a used 2012-2013 or later model.

Lovemachine is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-09-2013, 05:56 PM   #167
AlbertaJeeper
Registered User
2013 JK Wrangler 
 
Join Date: May 2013
Location: Edmonton, Alberta
Posts: 490
I don't know about the demographics in your area, but there seems to be a lot of 16 year old girls around here who love TJ's because they're "cute"...just sayin...
AlbertaJeeper is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-09-2013, 06:09 PM   #168
MrDubbe
Registered User
2003 TJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: Imperial, Ca
Posts: 159
Quote:
Originally Posted by DJs99TJ View Post
Advantages to jk over TJ.... None (unless getting groceries)

End of thread.
This!!!. If you own a Jk just get rdy to be shunned from "the wave" because soccer moms don't wave.
__________________
Love is like a fart if you push to hard it's probably shee-it!
MrDubbe is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-09-2013, 06:28 PM   #169
switters88
Member
 
switters88's Avatar
2012 JK Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: Frederick, CO
Posts: 115
Over the last 17 years I've owned an '86 CJ, '89 YJ, a '98 TJ, and a '12 JKU. Out of all of them the CJ was the best. However, this is about TJ's and JK's. Between these two, I would say the JKU is the best for camping and overall dd'ing. I really hate the bumpers and fenders but those are easily replaceable. As far as body styling and wheeling, the TJ is by far superior. For these reasons, I own one if each :0
__________________
2012 Wrangler JKU Sport
1998 Wrangler TJ
1989 Wrangler YJ (sold)
1986 CJ-7 (sold)
switters88 is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-09-2013, 06:45 PM   #170
kennyboobear
Web Wheeler
 
kennyboobear's Avatar
2000 TJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: San Jose, California
Posts: 1,879
Quote:
Originally Posted by switters88 View Post
Over the last 17 years I've owned an '86 CJ, '89 YJ, a '98 TJ, and a '12 JKU. Out of all of them the CJ was the best. However, this is about TJ's and JK's. Between these two, I would say the JKU is the best for camping and overall dd'ing. I really hate the bumpers and fenders but those are easily replaceable. As far as body styling and wheeling, the TJ is by far superior. For these reasons, I own one if each :0
Spot on. For a DD/Casual wheeling platform, the JK is unbeatable. But for cost effective wheeling (not that you can't build a JK to be just as effective, because you can, but the overall cost will be twice as much once you factor in the cost of the vehicle etc. never mind the fact that despite needing less lift, the modifications are significantly more expensive), a TJ is far better. There's definitely no arguing that a JK is a much better DD though. There's really no contest there, even when you factor in the smoother riding LJ.
__________________
SILVER JEEP CLUB MEMBER #46
Get Savvy.

SFF Customs

Quote:
Originally Posted by GraKee99 View Post
Driving on snow is a lot like sex, it's a lot of fun but if you don't pay attention, you can really mess up someone's rear end.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gene Mooneyham
Not to burst your bubble, but California gets worse every year. Liberals, and illegals have ruined any chance California had to get turned around, it's a sinking ship.
My 2000 Silverstone TJ Build
kennyboobear is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-10-2013, 07:34 PM   #171
scorpionkill
Registered User
2008 JK Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Oct 2003
Location: Massachusetts
Posts: 367
Have to say I had a lifted TJ with 33's and I would take my JK over it any day of the week. I don't miss my TJ at all
__________________
2008 JK X 2 door, 1997 TJ
scorpionkill is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-11-2013, 07:46 AM   #172
Imped
Web Wheeler
 
Imped's Avatar
2004 TJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Indianapolis
Posts: 19,057
Quote:
Originally Posted by scorpionkill View Post
Have to say I had a lifted TJ with 33's and I would take my JK over it any day of the week. I don't miss my TJ at all
I would take a JK over a regular old TJ on 33's, as well. Not my TJ, though.
__________________
OlllllllO
Float Test Build
IndyORV
Imped is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-11-2013, 08:34 AM   #173
Lovemachine
Registered User
2005 TJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: , Indiana
Posts: 116
Quote:
Originally Posted by Imped View Post
I would take a JK over a regular old TJ on 33's, as well. Not my TJ, though.
Would you take the 3.8 over the 4.0, or hold out for a 3.6?
Lovemachine is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-11-2013, 08:49 AM   #174
flyfisher12
Registered User
2012 JK Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Location: mechanicsville, VA
Posts: 26
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lovemachine View Post
Would you take the 3.8 over the 4.0, or hold out for a 3.6?
I never owned a 3.8 but i did the 4.0 and now a 3.6 and i will take the 3.6. I test drove a few jeeps with teh 3.8 and the power difference was significant between that and the 3.6 and htat was i nteh unlimited. In comparing my old 4.0 to the 3.6 i'll take the 3.6. The 4.0 is a great motor but the better gas mileage and power from the 3.6 sealed the deal for me.
flyfisher12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-11-2013, 08:55 AM   #175
Lovemachine
Registered User
2005 TJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: , Indiana
Posts: 116
Quote:
Originally Posted by flyfisher12 View Post
I never owned a 3.8 but i did the 4.0 and now a 3.6 and i will take the 3.6. I test drove a few jeeps with teh 3.8 and the power difference was significant between that and the 3.6 and htat was i nteh unlimited. In comparing my old 4.0 to the 3.6 i'll take the 3.6. The 4.0 is a great motor but the better gas mileage and power from the 3.6 sealed the deal for me.
I have read that exact samething.

But where I'm at, the 2012's and up are too expensive. And I'm afraid I'd regret buying an older one with the 3.8.
Lovemachine is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-11-2013, 09:16 AM   #176
Imped
Web Wheeler
 
Imped's Avatar
2004 TJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Indianapolis
Posts: 19,057
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lovemachine View Post
Would you take the 3.8 over the 4.0, or hold out for a 3.6?
I've driven several of each. 3.6 > 4.0 >3.8 in terms of how they feel, not what paper says. I still prefer the instant response of the 4.0's throttle by cable as opposed to the vague feeling that throttle by wire provides. But the 3.6 is quite a nice motor and hauls good ***.

Before I ever actually bought my TJ in early 08, I had planned on buying a new JK and test drove several. I ended up with a TJ because I liked it better, plain and simple. That was way, way before I know what I know now and I now prefer the TJ for even more reasons, most of them related to the ease of building and simplicity.
__________________
OlllllllO
Float Test Build
IndyORV
Imped is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-11-2013, 02:59 PM   #177
dodgethejeep
Registered User
1990 YJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: May 2013
Location: some where in the, middle east
Posts: 115
Got rid of my TJ to make things better for the family. Have a JKU now. It drives like a jeep. 2 straight axles, removable doors and top simple ish intirior, says jeep on grill good family jeep. Doesn't feel as capable as the lifted TJ did. I put that poor jeep through hell and it was the most reliable vehicle i have ever owned. TJ drove straight and stopped every time, missing half the sensors, seized calipers and rotors so worn you could see light through them. JKU may prove great in the long run its still new to us as of yet, but the TJ was an awesome jeep.
__________________
02 tj sold, 90 yj, 08 jku, 03 vf750.
When in doubt dump the mag.
dodgethejeep is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-11-2013, 06:52 PM   #178
Lovemachine
Registered User
2005 TJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: , Indiana
Posts: 116
Quote:
Originally Posted by Imped View Post
I've driven several of each. 3.6 > 4.0 >3.8 in terms of how they feel, not what paper says. I still prefer the instant response of the 4.0's throttle by cable as opposed to the vague feeling that throttle by wire provides. But the 3.6 is quite a nice motor and hauls good ***.

Before I ever actually bought my TJ in early 08, I had planned on buying a new JK and test drove several. I ended up with a TJ because I liked it better, plain and simple. That was way, way before I know what I know now and I now prefer the TJ for even more reasons, most of them related to the ease of building and simplicity.
Thanks.

I really like the look of the JKs, especially the JKUs. I'd love to have a Rubicon. But, not having that car payment is very nice. And I would rather have the 3.6 over the 3.8. (Even though I've never driven either one)
For $300 a month, I can do a lot to my TJ. And there's a large number of things I'd like to fix/replace.

Geez I wish I knew then what I knew now!
Lovemachine is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-14-2013, 07:43 AM   #179
lsl
Registered User
2012 JK Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Location: Albany, OH
Posts: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by CrawlingForward

Done both. Our JK was *way* easier to drain.

And another thing: Not all JKs have power seats, windows, mirrors, etc.

I *hate* how people assume that.

Our JK:
Manual seats
Zippable windows on half-doors (more spartan than your fancy full doors on most TJs)
manual mirrors
electronic console that does fine exposed in major thunderstorms

The new JKs can be just as spartan as the old TJs. It's the *consumers* that have gotten soft.
Exactly-'12 jk. Manual everything. Does have full doors. Love the function of the cable system dropping the top and the sun rider feature (Quicker to close as a DD in a shower prone environment).
lsl is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-14-2013, 07:53 AM   #180
lsl
Registered User
2012 JK Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Location: Albany, OH
Posts: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by bhoch
These threads are always a lot of good comedy.

Bill
As a new member and jeep newbie, I am enjoying with my morning coffee! No different than any other rabidly brand loyal group of enthusiasts (shovel vs. evo. vs. twin cam on a Harley for example).

As many have said bottom line is drive YOUR drive and get what works for you.
lsl is offline   Reply With Quote




Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.