Advantages of JK over TJ?? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > Wrangler General Discussion > Advantages of JK over TJ??

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineFS: Wrangler RGB Multicolor Fog Light LEDs: Awesome EffectSavvy Aluminum Gas Tank Skid

Unread 06-22-2013, 08:11 PM   #1
Habber

Hi Guys,

I'm just looking for input on the advantages or disadvantages of getting into a used 2 door JK and getting rid of my 2001 TJ 5sp. It will be my second car.

Jeep TJ 2001 4.0 5MT

Habber is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-22-2013, 10:52 PM   #2
avatheredjeep
2013 JK Wrangler 

more power.
generally more creature comforts- seats are awesome.
more flex with stock suspension.
easier to fit bigger tires.
the lower control arms are a bit longer and more tucked up.
you don't have that low hanging trans skid plate.
I like the stock hard and soft tops that come on the newer JKs with the sun rider feature.

mods are more expensive though.
avatheredjeep is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-23-2013, 12:25 AM   #3
3X4X4
2006 TJ Wrangler 

I had a JK and got rid of it for a TJ Rubicon.

Thicker metal
Metal grill
Metal fenders
Metal door handles
More REAL, useable power
Much less water leakage from tops, hard or soft
More and cheaper after market parts that have been further developed for more years
More REAL off road capability
Does not burn oil
Straight six, does not have a mini van motor
Is not a mini van disguised as a Jeep Wrangler
Lighter
Smaller footprint
More maneuverable
Much better looking, looks like a Jeep Wrangler
Less invasive electronics like ABS, VSC that cannot be deactivated regardless of what people say
Drives and feels like a Jeep instead of a car/minivan
Does not have the fat butt JK look

No, it is true, I do not much like JKs and I had one for five years and 88,000 miles, hated it every minute. Oh, and that minivan d---n door/seatbelt awful chime, DING, Freaking DING, DING, FnDing, DING, DING. I can still here it dinging in my nightmares. And those plastic Tupa-bumpers. People kept asking me what year my Liberty was, not good.

J
2006 TJ Rubicon, Custom 4 inch lift with Currie Arms, TF springs, RS9000 shocks, TF High Steer Kit, TF ST Dual rate anti-rock, TF front track bar, Yellow Box speedo correction, Black Rock 15X10 Streetlock wheels with BFG AT 33X15X12.5 tires, Line-X tub, Bed Rug carpet, Tom Woods shaft, Spidershade, Savvy corner and rocker armor, Exogate.
3X4X4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-23-2013, 02:27 AM   #4
montero1
2010 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3X4X4 View Post

Thicker metal
Metal grill
Metal fenders
Metal door handles
More REAL, useable power
More and cheaper after market parts that have been further developed for more years
Does not burn oil
Lighter
Smaller footprint
More maneuverable
Less invasive electronics like ABS, VSC that cannot be deactivated regardless of what people say

No, it is true, I do not much like JKs and I had one for five years and 88,000 miles, hated it every minute. Oh, and that minivan d---n door/seatbelt awful chime, DING, Freaking DING, DING, FnDing, DING, DING. I can still here it dinging in my nightmares. And those plastic Tupa-bumpers. People kept asking me what year my Liberty was, not good.

J

*Activate Flame Protection*
montero1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-23-2013, 04:43 AM   #5
Habber

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3X4X4

Thicker metal
Metal grill
Metal fenders
Metal door handles
More REAL, useable power
Does not burn oil
Lighter
Smaller footprint
More maneuverable

J
You made me laugh on your analysis. Thanks.

Jeep TJ 2001 4.0 5MT
Unread 06-23-2013, 10:13 AM   #6
3X4X4
2006 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Habber View Post
You made me laugh on your analysis. Thanks.

Jeep TJ 2001 4.0 5MT
It is an opinion thread, that is mine. I have a Toyota TRD/OR, newer type as my primary vehicle. I also had a nice Toyota HilUx mini truck I had owned for years and built up. I had to go to North Carolina on business for 3 months and took the HiLux. A lady ran a stop sign talking on the cell phone and totaled both vehicles. I needed a car, the Jeep dealership was right across from the accident scene. I walked over and drove out in a new WSO (Wrangler Shaped Object). Huge mistake, I realized about two miles down the road and vowed as soon as I could, I would dump it for a TJ, thank goodness, I finally found one I liked when I had some money and the mini van was paid for.

J
2006 TJ Rubicon, Custom 4 inch lift with Currie Arms, TF springs, RS9000 shocks, TF High Steer Kit, TF ST Dual rate anti-rock, TF front track bar, Yellow Box speedo correction, Black Rock 15X10 Streetlock wheels with BFG AT 33X15X12.5 tires, Line-X tub, Bed Rug carpet, Tom Woods shaft, Spidershade, Savvy corner and rocker armor, Exogate.
3X4X4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-23-2013, 11:26 AM   #7
wendell
1987 YJ Wrangler 

The jk is an ugly beast that can scare the trails into submission. If you break a jk fender you can repair it with gorilla glue. A jk's bulky size can keep you out of trouble as you won't attempt anything too tight in the woods. A tj is a jeep while a jk is a baby hummer. If you buy a jk off of ebay your more likely to be out bid my a soccer mom than a hard core jeeper. Now for the good things about a jk......hum.....still thinking........................................st ill thinking...........O, they can be had in a pretty green he he.
wendell is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-23-2013, 02:36 PM   #8
dodgethejeep

You will miss the i6. Wish jeep had a v8 option for the jk. And every thing on the jk is computer controled. Can't just splice into a wire for some new acessory. I miss my tj, the wifes jk has more room than the tj ever had but its also a fat road hog because of it. Can't comment on the yj in comparison cuz i havn't got to play with it yet. Simple is good.
dodgethejeep is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-23-2013, 03:20 PM   #9
Habber

Ok. I was all ready to grab a JK that was all lifted and clean for 6k more than what I was about to sell my TJ for (2001 TJ vs a 2010 JK) but after reading all the negative comments about the JK, I think I'm going to miss the TJ, especially since its not my DD. it only has 115 KM (70k Miles) and I don't care about dents or DD cares. Looks like I might just keep it and build it up, especially since the add ons are a fraction of what JK mods would cost.

image-4208772219.jpg

Jeep TJ 2001 4.0 5MT
Unread 06-23-2013, 03:51 PM   #10
takeitsleazy
2013 JK Wrangler 

Eh, I find a lot of TJ/YJ owners have an elitist attitude towards the JK. It is a great vehicle. But if you already have a TJ, I dont know why youd spend the money. Youre already having fun in a Jeep!
Unread 06-23-2013, 04:06 PM   #11
BYuen
2001 TJ Wrangler 

If you have kids or need the extra space, a 4 door JK would be nice. Other than that, I wouldn't trade my TJ for a 2 door JK.
BYuen is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-23-2013, 04:14 PM   #12
Renees05
2005 LJ Wrangler 

Could always find a nice LJ. Keep the power and all the good TJ stuff! Also, you don't have to feel like a soccer mom with those extra doors!
Blue Jeep Member #366
Renees05 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-23-2013, 04:15 PM   #13
jeepwrangler97
1997 TJ Wrangler 

JK's have some benefits...I wouldn't want one though over a TJ

It's partially a personality thing...go drive one and see what you think. Personally, I think TJ's have a bit more charm and they feel more like you're in a Jeep.

Jk's are pretty quiet on the highway and are more car like...

I have had people ask me if I drive a "real Jeep" or a "new Jeep"...I don't hate on Jk's like some, but I still would take a YJ or TJ or LJ over one...Maybe I will want a 4 door when I'm old and have kids...but in addition to my TJ.

The 3.6L has power...but I love my straight 6 and not having an electronic throttle

I think it comes down to personality...JK's are cool..but I prefer TJ's...my buddy got a JK and loves it...

EDIT: I would rather be able to add an LJ into the mix before a 4 door if I could when I'm older
jeepwrangler97 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-23-2013, 04:19 PM   #14
Grewe02
Guns > Swords

1980 CJ5 

Pros of a JK over a TJ:
Swaybar disconnect.
Larger wheel wells.
Beefier stock suspension parts.

Pros of a TJ over a JK:
Everything else you can possibly think of, imagine, dream about, or theorize.

Not only that, but you can buy all of the afore-mentioned JK pros for a TJ from an aftermarket source.

Verdict: TJ wins.

Edit: Facebook brought me here
I've had a crush on the Prius since it's debut. I got somethin' wrong upstairs.
Grewe02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-23-2013, 04:59 PM   #15
sxysouthtx
1993 YJ Wrangler 

I used to have a TJ (which I miss) and drive a YJ now. But, my buddy had an 07' JK and it pretty good off road. However, everything about it was mini-vanish. The engine is more powerful and the D44 is standard in the rear, but I just can't stand them. You have to compete with every bro-dozer out there (4 door) on 35s that will never wheel the damn thing and look down on you. It looks like a barbie Jeep you get for your little girl when she is 3. The interior in very delicate. Now all of these issues wouldn't matter on any other vehicle. Be it a car, suv, truck. But this is a Jeep. I'll be damned to buy something and be stuck with the soccer moms, the bro's, and college girls. I think my YJ is ugly, but not nearly as ugly as a JK. Now that's not to say there aren't any awesome JKs. I've seen some that made my jaw drop. But at the end of the day, I can modify my YJ to tackle some nasty stuff much cheaper that a JK. So I vote TJ.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.