About to take the plunge into the "Jeep World" - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > Wrangler General Discussion > About to take the plunge into the "Jeep World"

FS: Wrangler RGB Multicolor Fog Light LEDs: Awesome EffectJKS Now Available at www.baseline4x4.com, Trackbars, SkidsFS: 2007-2013 Jeep Wrangler "HALO" Angel Eye Kit

Unread 06-30-2013, 01:30 PM   #1
Jumperwire
1978 CJ7 

About to take the plunge into the "Jeep World"

New guy here, about to dive in to the world of Jeeps. As my heart has always been set on a CJ7, I thought I would ask a few of you, What you like better about the YJ, TJ or the JK. Obviously, A/C is one I don't plan on doing any rock climbing, however a trail or two wouldn't be out of the question. Looking at the 6cy. They sure look like they crammed that thing in there. Obviously not as easy to work on as a CJ IMHO.
Anyway, thanks for the advice in advance.

Jumperwire is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-30-2013, 04:25 PM   #2
speedyrev
2004 TJ Wrangler 

Everybody is going to recommend what they own ;-)
Start with a budget. What will you do with it? (driver, weekend ride...) Then, what options you want?
I personally have a TJ.
speedyrev is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-30-2013, 05:53 PM   #3
jay-h
1989 YJ Wrangler 

You definitely want a 6 cylinder. If you're really set on AC, you probably should be looking at TJ or newer. AC was very rare on the older ones and was pretty much a clunky add-on.

wife's toys
97 Grand Cherokee (ZJ)
87 MB 560SL roadster
jay-h is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-30-2013, 07:56 PM   #4
Jumperwire
1978 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by speedyrev View Post
Everybody is going to recommend what they own ;-)
Start with a budget. What will you do with it? (driver, weekend ride...) Then, what options you want?
I personally have a TJ.
I'm looking for a weekend ride. (a non summer jeep) as I work all summer.
5-8K something that with regular maintenance, will be enjoyable. I don't want to rebuild it, but in years to come, who knows. My neighbor restores jeeps. I don't want him to hate me... He's got a several CJ7's and a CJ5 or two. Just looking for other opinions. Old vs New thing. ie Wiring, Parts change outs, etc....
Thanks for the replys.
Unread 06-30-2013, 08:10 PM   #5
AmmitOsiris
1990 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jumperwire

I'm looking for a weekend ride. (a non summer jeep) as I work all summer.
5-8K something that with regular maintenance, will be enjoyable. I don't want to rebuild it, but in years to come, who knows. My neighbor restores jeeps. I don't want him to hate me... He's got a several CJ7's and a CJ5 or two. Just looking for other opinions. Old vs New thing. ie Wiring, Parts change outs, etc....
Thanks for the replys.
Get a YJ, the cjs and YJ's bout the same
AmmitOsiris is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-01-2013, 11:13 AM   #6
wendell
1987 YJ Wrangler 

Not true, I'm not going to recommend what I own. If you have always wanted a cj-7, then that's what you should get. The simplest jeeps are the best jeeps on the trail, not much to break and easy to fix if they do break. The cj, yj and tj all fit in this category for the most part. That freak of nature known as the jk that Chrysler designed is another story. You don't want to be out on the trail and shear off one of your plastic fenders, or have your seat warmers stop working, or God forbid have one of your power windows get stuck. All this is hoping your jk was ordered, or has 4x4. Jeep was meant to be a bare bones tough little off road vehicle, stick to the original formula and you will be fine.
wendell is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-01-2013, 12:39 PM   #7
dadkinsemt

2005 LJ Wrangler 

If you want the CJ get it, but you won't get AC or a smooth ride. I've never owned a YJ so I can't give great feedback on them but I know you can find a good one in your price range. I would recommend a TJ because that's what I have driven before. What it comes down to is finding a few in your price range and driving them. There will always be something to fix or you will want to upgrade. That is the joy of owning a jeep.

05 LJ rubicon
14 JKU, wife's
Colorado jeep club #274

MY BUILD
dadkinsemt is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-02-2013, 06:51 PM   #8
Duck Doctor
2006 TJ Wrangler 

I've owned 1 CJ, 1 YJ, and 2TJs over the past 19 years. I would only buy another CJ if someone installed fuel injection and went spring over axle. YJs are fine but I'd look for the fuel injected 4.0 engine. IMO, a TJ would best suit your needs. TJs ride better, have tons of aftermarket support, and in my experience are more reliable.
Duck Doctor is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-03-2013, 08:10 AM   #9
jrbrannan
2003 TJ Wrangler 

I have to agree with Duck Doctor, I have had several Jeep's over the past 20 years from CJ's to JK's and everything in between. I drive a TJ now and it is my personal choice. The YJ would be my second choice followed by a CJ. There is nothing wrong with the CJ's but the experience in the TJ is night and day over the CJ's IMHO. The newer TJ's should be in better conditions as well, most people want an arm and a leg for a nice old CJ. The TJ's are one of the last Jeep's that feel like a REAL Jeep. Again nothing against the JK's but I never felt like it was as much of a Jeep as my TJ's, YJ's or CJ's that I have owned. But at the end of the day get behind the wheel of your neighbors CJ's and test drive some YJ's and TJ's and see what you like best. At the end of the day you are behind the wheel everyday and it is all about what puts a smile on your face. I have a highly modified TJ that many people might hate driving but she puts a smile on my face everyday so quite frankly I do not care if anyone else likes it.
jrbrannan is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-03-2013, 07:18 PM   #10
Jumperwire
1978 CJ7 

Again, thanks for the replies and opinions. All are well taken. I've been considering what everyone has said. I'm still leaning towards a CJ. Guess it's just what I grew up wanting. That flat metal dash just says Jeep IMHO.
The square headlights kinda turned me off on the YJ and all the plastic on the YJ and TJ just doesn't sit with me well, but I could change at anytime. I looked hard at a TJ and a CJ and the plastic fenders really turned me off too.
Now if I end up with a TJ, don't hold it against me I'll bet they drive like a dream.
Unread 07-04-2013, 10:26 AM   #11
wendell
1987 YJ Wrangler 

I've had 5 cj's over the years and loved them all. I would take another in a heart beat for the right price. There just fun simple vehicles easy to work on. The biggest problem with a cj these days is the price, they are collectors now and the nice ones do cost.
wendell is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-06-2013, 12:50 PM   #12
Ls1man2020
2013 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by wendell View Post
Not true, I'm not going to recommend what I own. If you have always wanted a cj-7, then that's what you should get. The simplest jeeps are the best jeeps on the trail, not much to break and easy to fix if they do break. The cj, yj and tj all fit in this category for the most part. That freak of nature known as the jk that Chrysler designed is another story. You don't want to be out on the trail and shear off one of your plastic fenders, or have your seat warmers stop working, or God forbid have one of your power windows get stuck. All this is hoping your jk was ordered, or has 4x4. Jeep was meant to be a bare bones tough little off road vehicle, stick to the original formula and you will be fine.
Lol!!! Love it.
Ls1man2020 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-06-2013, 08:27 PM   #13
jjvw
Hipster Jeep

2003 TJ Wrangler 

Besides being a great vehicle on its own, the TJ might be considered the last of the original lineage. It is clearly a descendent of the YJ and CJ7. If that matters... If I didn't have a TJ, I would be after a CJ5. Willys and CJ5s are the Jeepiest of Jeeps IMO.
jjvw is offline   Reply With Quote

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.