5 Tire Rotation - Page 2 - JeepForum.com

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #16 of 27 Old 10-30-2016, 07:01 PM
baritone_mike
1988 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by arbakken View Post
I guess, but I categorically reject the notion that you wouldn't have a 5th matching spare, especially on a jeep! I can understand the case where you irreparably blow a tire and end up with a non matching spare. When it's tire time, you buy 5 again and start over. Money doesn't grow on trees, but if you bought a jeep you've already thrown any notion of fiscal responsibility out the window and should be prepared for such extravagant expenses as a 5th tire.
I agree if you are going to have a Jeep you should have a matching spare, but there are people that will buy 4 new tires and get the 5th used off of craigslist, or will run a skinnier spare in hopes of preserving the tail gate because they don't want a swing out. It seems to be it is always lifted Jeeps that don't have a matching spare, around here I see more JK's without a spare at all than I do with a spare.

˙ɹǝʌo ɹǝʇndɯoɔ ɹnoʎ dılɟ sıɥʇ pɐǝɹ uɐɔ noʎ ɟı
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #17 of 27 Old 10-31-2016, 07:14 AM
bobjp

Quote:
I guess, but I categorically reject the notion that you wouldn't have a 5th matching spare, especially on a jeep! I can understand the case where you irreparably blow a tire and end up with a non matching spare. When it's tire time, you buy 5 again and start over. Money doesn't grow on trees, but if you bought a jeep you've already thrown any notion of fiscal responsibility out the window and should be prepared for such extravagant expenses as a 5th tire.
Not sure why you reject the notion considering it is what many do.

I have never had a matching spare and I doubt that I ever will. 11 years, 155,000 miles (by me), and counting.

The money idea doesn't work, especially for those of us who don't buy new Jeeps. I'd rather spend my money on other things (or not at all) rather than buy a matching spare just for looks. A spare is just a spare to me. In the ballpark size to get me where I need to go in the rare occurrence it's needed.

97 TJ sport.
post #18 of 27 Old 10-31-2016, 07:58 AM
biffgnar

2006 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
You are off base on this one. Running a different spare is very common IMO. For example, I run one that is one size smaller and is narrower than the 4 tires I run on the ground. Much lighter and easier to deal with. Will never be a permanent replacement but gets me off the trail if I have a problem.

post #19 of 27 Old 10-31-2016, 08:14 AM
arbakken
2015 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by biffgnar View Post
You are off base on this one. Running a different spare is very common IMO. For example, I run one that is one size smaller and is narrower than the 4 tires I run on the ground. Much lighter and easier to deal with. Will never be a permanent replacement but gets me off the trail if I have a problem.
Hey, it's a difference of opinion. On most vehicles I've owned in my life, the spare was a compact and didn't match the rest. The Wrangler is different and I want all my options present for getting back off the trail. If you have a similar diameter but narrower tire as a spare to save weight, that is a decision you made because you think that is the correct thing to do and I respect that. If you are too cheap to spend another $350 on a tire (which is a silly argument from the get go because if you were doing a 5 tire rotation from the beginning the tire wear is distributed amongst all the tires so it doesn't cost more from a use per mile) You're already driving a $5000+ vehicle in a situation where damage is expected, and a spare tire is NOT for looks on a off road vehicle.
post #20 of 27 Old 10-31-2016, 08:49 AM
2jhanna
Web Wheeler
2002 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
there is NO reasonable argument.
Quote:
but I categorically reject.
When you use statements like these, you show how closed minded you are and refuse/fail to understand that what you prefer is not what others prefer.

jhanna
denton county, tx
post #21 of 27 Old 10-31-2016, 08:53 AM
bobjp

Quote:
Hey, it's a difference of opinion. On most vehicles I've owned in my life, the spare was a compact and didn't match the rest. The Wrangler is different and I want all my options present for getting back off the trail. If you have a similar diameter but narrower tire as a spare to save weight, that is a decision you made because you think that is the correct thing to do and I respect that. If you are too cheap to spend another $350 on a tire (which is a silly argument from the get go because if you were doing a 5 tire rotation from the beginning the tire wear is distributed amongst all the tires so it doesn't cost more from a use per mile) You're already driving a $5000+ vehicle in a situation where damage is expected, and a spare tire is NOT for looks on a off road vehicle.

A matching spare is just for looks if you've already got a tire that will do the job you need it to. Mismatched spares don't necessarily alter performance on or off the trail. No offense to people who do it for looks, I do things to my Jeep that are just for looks too.

$350 is $350 that could be better spent elsewhere in my opinion. It has nothing to do with being cheap; perhaps it's just a difference of opinion like you said for another case.

My Jeep did not have matching tires when I bought it and such is the case for many people. It makes sense to do a 5 tire rotation if you have 5 matching tires. If I'd bought a Jeep with 5 matching tires, I would probably do a 5 tire rotation until I needed a new set. Then I'd only by 4 new tires, and keep one of the originals as a spare if close enough in size.

You've had a Jeep for hardly 1 year. Have you even bought tires for it yet? Has it been offroad?

97 TJ sport.
post #22 of 27 Old 10-31-2016, 10:10 AM
arbakken
2015 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobjp View Post
You've had a Jeep for hardly 1 year. Have you even bought tires for it yet? Has it been offroad?
It's been a year and probably 3 months. It has the stock BFG MT tires, and I do a 5 tire rotation. I have been off road numerous times, and will continue to do so. When these tires are bald, I will purchase 5 new tires (probably 35" MTR). If I shred a tire between now and then, I will purchase a used tire as a spare and continue with a 4 tire rotation until it's time for a new set.

I have a set of snow tires/wheels, but only 4 of those because they are directional so a 5th spare doesn't make sense unless you want to unmount and remount the tires every rotation. My spare doesn't match on purpose (bought a used $40 tire) So I guess I lied, there IS a reasonable argument for a 4 tire rotation: directional tires. That said, I don't like directional tires for that reason.

You can call me close minded if you want, but I made up my mind after considering all the alternative options. I've already had this argument with myself and none of the other points hold water. $350 is a lot of money, but if it decreases my chance of requiring a rescue, it's pretty cheap insurance.

Just what I think, you are free to make your own decision!
post #23 of 27 Old 10-31-2016, 11:55 AM
baritone_mike
1988 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
$350 is a lot of money, but if it decreases my chance of requiring a rescue, it's pretty cheap insurance.

Just what I think, you are free to make your own decision!
Having a usable spare is cheap insurance, having a matching spare is just for looks. A brand new wheel and tire functions just the same as a cheap used wheel and tire for the short distance required after you get a flat, it is no different than running a space saver on a car.

The only vehicles with matching spares from the factory are vehicles with a spare tire mounted in sight of other people. Even full size trucks that have a matching size spare usually use a different wheel on the spare tire.

˙ɹǝʌo ɹǝʇndɯoɔ ɹnoʎ dılɟ sıɥʇ pɐǝɹ uɐɔ noʎ ɟı
post #24 of 27 Old 10-31-2016, 12:22 PM
biffgnar

2006 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
If you have a similar diameter but narrower tire as a spare to save weight, that is a decision you made because you think that is the correct thing to do and I respect that.
It doesn't even have to be the same diameter. Nothing wrong with a little smaller. My 35x12.5s on beadlocks are something like 110-115 lbs. each. A 33x10.5 on an OEM rim is I believe about 75 lbs. 35-40 lbs. may not seem like a lot, but when I combine it with my savings from aluminum armor and bumpers, synthetic winch line, etc., etc. it does make a difference and I end up with a jeep several hundred pounds lighter than "similar" jeeps. That makes a difference on road and offroad.

Talking about money is a complete red herring by the way. In a 4 tire rotation or a 5 tire rotation, over time my dollars spent per miles driven will be exactly the same.
post #25 of 27 Old 10-31-2016, 01:10 PM
bobjp

Except that single tires and rims are plentiful on Craigslist for a fraction of new.

97 TJ sport.
post #26 of 27 Old 10-31-2016, 04:59 PM
arbakken
2015 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by biffgnar View Post
It doesn't even have to be the same diameter. Nothing wrong with a little smaller.
The limited slip on mine begs to differ. If you have your diffs locked in it begs even harder.
post #27 of 27 Old 10-31-2016, 05:13 PM
biffgnar

2006 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
The limited slip on mine begs to differ. If you have your diffs locked in it begs even harder.
Personsally wouldn't worry about it for short distance with LSD, at least a clutch driven one. Hard locker is a different story, but personally always run selectable so open until I hit the button. The point is just that your absolute statements about a matching spare were silly. You can make that choice, but plenty of other people can and do otherwise.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.