5 Seater Wrangler - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > Wrangler General Discussion > 5 Seater Wrangler

Poison spyder items @ oconee off road 706 534 9955Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineThe Solution to Radius Arm Bind - Meet Lock-N-Load

Unread 01-06-2009, 06:00 PM   #1
AdamGriffiths
1998 ZJ 

5 Seater Wrangler

I have to admit that I wheel a Cherokee... But I want a Wrangler! The problem is that I have a wife and three kids and don't have the budget for a 5 seat JK!

Question: Is there any one out here that has put some kind of three seat back seat in their Wrangler TJ or YJ?

I was at the motorcycle dealer today and saw a few side x side UTVs that had an aftermarket three person rear seat with harnesses installed. I am thinking if someone could give me the width dimension of a Wrangler I could look into having an aftermarket seat installed in a new Wrangler for me!

AdamGriffiths is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-06-2009, 06:52 PM   #2
Marine_Mike
1991 YJ Wrangler 

I'm in the same situation. 3 kids a and wife. I did see somewhere a wrangler with 3 seats in back. They were kids racing seats, but the guy gave up all the room he had in the back. If I remember the configuration, it was 1 in the front (of the back) and two damn near against the tailgate on risers. Depending on how old your kids are (mine are 1years, 2-1/2years , and 4 years old. Try taking a look at these seats for the kids.

http://www.prpseats.com/store_seats.html
Marine_Mike is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-06-2009, 07:34 PM   #3
AdamGriffiths
1998 ZJ 

Thanks Mike,

My kids are 7,4 and 2. A PRP bench seat was what I saw in the back of the UTV that gave me this idea.

Is someone willing to measure their rear tub area and tell me what it is in inches? Maybe below the wheel wells and above? Looks like Mastercraft seats and PRP can custom make seats. It will just be up to me to fab up some mounts.
Unread 01-07-2009, 07:28 AM   #4
asbury
1995 YJ Wrangler 

i seen somewhere maybe on here where someone put a bench seat in the front of a yj , could use a split bench out of a ranger or s10 , just a thought to throw out there
Unread 01-07-2009, 03:20 PM   #5
JFranko
1992 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by asbury View Post
i seen somewhere maybe on here where someone put a bench seat in the front of a yj , could use a split bench out of a ranger or s10 , just a thought to throw out there
I remember seeing that to, it was out of a dakota IIRC

EDIT: It think I found it, but I can't find the page it's on http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/showt...=490426&page=4
RED JEEP CLUB MEMBER #494

Last edited by JFranko; 01-07-2009 at 03:31 PM..
JFranko is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-07-2009, 06:37 PM   #6
asbury
1995 YJ Wrangler 

i have thought about this all day and think i will try to find a 60/40 split bench seat out of a ford ranger
Unread 01-07-2009, 06:49 PM   #7
vtjeepguy97
1997 TJ Wrangler 

a couple ideas though i dont think they are practical safety wise. One is you can pick up a lap belt and bolt it on with the other belts. This would allow the rear seat to sit 3 small people. Another idea i always thought would be fun was jump seats like they have in older land rovers.
vtjeepguy97 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-07-2009, 08:07 PM   #8
JFranko
1992 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by vtjeepguy97 View Post
a couple ideas though i dont think they are practical safety wise. One is you can pick up a lap belt and bolt it on with the other belts. This would allow the rear seat to sit 3 small people. Another idea i always thought would be fun was jump seats like they have in older land rovers.
the lap belt thing could work for 3 small people, but I don't know about the jump seats, you would probably have to mount them on top of the wheel wells which would be bad in the event of a roll over
RED JEEP CLUB MEMBER #494
JFranko is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-07-2009, 08:10 PM   #9
durangoyj
1993 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by asbury View Post
i have thought about this all day and think i will try to find a 60/40 split bench seat out of a ford ranger
Someone did this. If you look in jeepwiki under the YJ description and used seats you might ifnd something.

edit: Try looking at this link: http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/showp...6&postcount=23

Colorado Jeep Club Member # 176

\m/(..)\m/ "Rock on!"
durangoyj is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-11-2009, 10:04 AM   #10
AdamGriffiths
1998 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by durangoyj View Post
Someone did this. If you look in jeepwiki under the YJ description and used seats you might ifnd something.

edit: Try looking at this link: http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/showp...6&postcount=23
Good show! This is the kind of info I was looking for. Thank you all for your replies.

Anyone have the measurements of the rear tub?
Unread 01-11-2009, 10:14 AM   #11
Vassago
2001 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by AdamGriffiths View Post
I have to admit that I wheel a Cherokee... But I want a Wrangler! The problem is that I have a wife and three kids and don't have the budget for a 5 seat JK!

Question: Is there any one out here that has put some kind of three seat back seat in their Wrangler TJ or YJ?

I was at the motorcycle dealer today and saw a few side x side UTVs that had an aftermarket three person rear seat with harnesses installed. I am thinking if someone could give me the width dimension of a Wrangler I could look into having an aftermarket seat installed in a new Wrangler for me!
shame on you!!!

MY BUILD THREAD: http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f177/...lding-1575841/

My Photography Paul Lehr's Flickr
Vassago is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-14-2009, 12:27 AM   #12
AdamGriffiths
1998 ZJ 

Well I have good things to say about child seats and the structural integrity of a XJ! We were all fine and the kids thought it was part of the ride! The ground gave way on an off camber traversing and flop we went. A fellow jeeper dropped his tools at a job site and came to my rescue and we drove it home.

Check it out!

Unread 01-14-2009, 06:04 AM   #13
spd500
1991 YJ Wrangler 

That really sucks man . When did this happen ? I am glad to hear that everyone was okay , seatbelts and child seats work well in situations like these . My brother rolled his K5 Blazer in the mountains , situation very similar to yours . He was not wearing a seatbelt and fractured part of his spine , it took along time to heal . Everyone else had seatbelts on and no one got hurt .
spd500 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-15-2009, 12:21 AM   #14
SmashinTJs
1997 TJ Wrangler 

Its not very safe or even really legal but i can throw 3 ppl in the back all the time and its not bad comfort wise

TJ TECH BOOT CAMP: READ IF NEW

http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f9/tj-tech-boot-camp-must-read-new-tj-owners-forum-members-722109/
Help us form the JF Search and Rescue Team
http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f176/jf-rescue-704069/
Quote:
Originally Posted by scavanau View Post
Is that bumper weighted to keep you from catching air at highway speed?
Quote:
Originally Posted by NorthWhiteWolf View Post
Well no (why would it) :confused:
Quote:
Originally Posted by scavanau View Post
Because I think your fender flares could easily pass for wings
SmashinTJs is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-16-2009, 07:27 AM   #15
YJ-Jer
1994 YJ Wrangler 

here is the ranger bench seat.

http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/showp...6&postcount=23
YJ-Jer is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.