4 Point Harness Seat Belts - JeepForum.com

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 15 Old 10-29-2016, 09:29 PM Thread Starter
xlTravislx
1994 YJ Wrangler 

4 Point Harness Seat Belts

So Ive had corbeau bucket seats in my jeep for sometime now.
I recently ordered the rock hard 4x4 harness bar and now plan to purchase some harness seat belts.

I want your guys opinion on whats best, what do you have? what do you suggest?

I was thinking a 4 point corbeau harness belt that bolts to the harness bar (not the roll over type). Im aware that the rock hard bar already has tabs for the roll over belts but Ive been told those are a hassle as oppose to the harness belts that bolt onto the bar directly.

Thanks JF!

-White Jeep Club Member 231-
Replacing random parts on hunches spurred from other vehicles and peoples experiences with them is the safest bet.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 Old 10-31-2016, 08:04 AM
biffgnar

2006 TJ Wrangler 

IMO unless you are racing harnesses are a poor option. A 3 pt. OEM style belt is actually a pretty good restraint. First, the harness bar has to be properly installed. If you do this, please read extensively on this as if done incorrectly it makes it far more dangerous. Properly installed a harness bar makes access to the back seat much more restricted. Second, getting in and out of harness can be a hassle. To work properly the belts need to be very tight. Loosening the belts, positioning them, getting in, clipping them and then tightening is a process. I love to race, but getting harnessed in is one of the biggest pains out there. In the pits its easier as crew helps, but on your own (in a DD or just on the trail with no outside assistance) not fun. Lastly, I would never ever run only a 4 point harness. The submarine strap is important. Seen too many people injured in roll-over/wreck scenarios who either didnt' have the submarine strap or had failed to clip it in.
post #3 of 15 Old 10-31-2016, 08:24 AM
Kruzin
Web Wheeler

2009 JK Wrangler 

And many (if not most) harnesses style belts are not even DOT approved for street use. If you decide to do it (which I also would not suggest), make sure to get DOT approved belts and carry proof they are approved for when the LEOs pull you over.

'09 JK Rubicon
'01 XJ Sport
'10 Fusion

post #4 of 15 Old 10-31-2016, 11:41 AM
222Doc
Web Wheeler

2012 JK Wrangler 

Garage
Really? No cops i have ever talked to, had look over. never once said you have to have stock seat belts. From my old hot rod to this heep of a jeep.You just better be wearing what ever you have. 3" shoulder belts hurt FAR less than a two inch cross over that will break your sternum like a twig.

you guys think a cross over belt is better? No.. lets look at what has been said: 4 point has no sub, nor does you factory belt< Its to hard to put on? Its to tight< how tight is that stocker? 4/5 points are bad because you have to have that extra bar? LOL then i guess dont add a front cage as that will take some room too in a JK unless you cut through the dash...
Hard roll over in a jeep hardly is a sub job. That is when you hit something about head on and get stuffed into the foot well.

Biggest thing is installed correctly. Use them correctly. From there its do you want fast release or the old school latch.

we have air bags because of the bad design of the cross over seat belt, lazy people. I have had them go off and was not in a wreck. I have SEEN them go off after a wreck, like many minutes AFTER. secondary injuries caused by them tend to be more likely than they will save your life. If you think A dot is helping you then the Government is here to help you.........

I have read more trail reports of people being tossed out of jeeps from STOCK. The 4/5 points its always USER ERROR. Like they did not use them at all. Rubicon this year a death.

Anyway i would NOT even drive this JK with out the harness, ever, street off road strip what the F ever. I do not have air bags in it as well. Dont like that to bad, ride with someone else...

Home of the Parker Desert Splash

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #5 of 15 Old 10-31-2016, 12:12 PM
biffgnar

2006 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by 222Doc View Post
you guys think a cross over belt is better? No.. lets look at what has been said: 4 point has no sub, nor does you factory belt< Its to hard to put on? Its to tight< how tight is that stocker? 4/5 points are bad because you have to have that extra bar? LOL then i guess dont add a front cage as that will take some room too in a JK unless you cut through the dash...
Hard roll over in a jeep hardly is a sub job. That is when you hit something about head on and get stuffed into the foot well.
IMO if you need a harness, you need a 5 pt. properly installed and worn. In other situations where you don't need a harness (which IMO is pretty much all non-racing scenarios), 3 pt. OEM is fine. There is no situation where I'd run a 4 pt. belt. False sense of security from them. In fact, wouldn't surprise me if more injuries from a 4 pt. improperly installed or improperly worn than injuries prevented by 4 pts.

And submarine belt only being for a head on is just wrong. I've personally been in a multiple times barrel roll where the driver's failure to wear his submarine belt led to real injury. There was no abrupt stop. Once weight starts shifting in any direction you need to be glued to that seat and without the submarine belt you aren't.
post #6 of 15 Old 11-01-2016, 08:18 AM
Fourtrail
1974 CJ6 

I thought the point behind safety equipment was to have it, but not need it. With a deep racing bucket like the corbeau, I am not a fan of having the belt come over the top of the side bolsters. As others have said, decide what kind of release you want and go from there to find a style you like. I am more of a fan of 4 individual belts than the double T or Y style that have the shoulder harnesses permanently attached to the lap belt. If you have any roundy round/drag racers nearby, you can normally get a deal on belts that have expired per SFI, but are perfectly fine to use in your jeep for years to come.

80 CJ-5, 74 CJ-6, 56 CJ-5
post #7 of 15 Old 11-01-2016, 08:39 AM
biffgnar

2006 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fourtrail View Post
I thought the point behind safety equipment was to have it, but not need it. With a deep racing bucket like the corbeau, I am not a fan of having the belt come over the top of the side bolsters. As others have said, decide what kind of release you want and go from there to find a style you like. I am more of a fan of 4 individual belts than the double T or Y style that have the shoulder harnesses permanently attached to the lap belt. If you have any roundy round/drag racers nearby, you can normally get a deal on belts that have expired per SFI, but are perfectly fine to use in your jeep for years to come.
Straps coming over the side bolsters seems to me to be a given. What are the alternatives? Do you mean the shoulder belts or the waist? On the shoulders I find often that the slots in seats are not in good places to come through when you actually sit in the seats. I remember seeing a driver cut new slits in brand new Mastercraft 3G seats one time trying to get the fit right.

Agreed as to T or Y style being a bad idea. If you need to get out in a hurry, you need all the belts to release when you pull a catch. I've been in a car on fire and had to deal with that.
post #8 of 15 Old 11-01-2016, 08:51 AM
Fourtrail
1974 CJ6 

Quote:
Originally Posted by biffgnar View Post
Straps coming over the side bolsters seems to me to be a given. What are the alternatives? Do you mean the shoulder belts or the waist? On the shoulders I find often that the slots in seats are not in good places to come through when you actually sit in the seats. I remember seeing a driver cut new slits in brand new Mastercraft 3G seats one time trying to get the fit right.

Agreed as to T or Y style being a bad idea. If you need to get out in a hurry, you need all the belts to release when you pull a catch. I've been in a car on fire and had to deal with that.
The lap belts coming over the side bolsters. I have had a few times with skinny people/kids that the factory belt wouldn't have touched their waist when coming over the bolsters, but the harness tightened up nicely being that it is inside the bolsters. I do agree on the shoulder straps and the factory slits in the seat being wrong. My shoulder harness bar is well above the slot and the harness straps come over the top of the seat.

80 CJ-5, 74 CJ-6, 56 CJ-5
post #9 of 15 Old 11-01-2016, 12:36 PM
fromme

1977 CJ7 

I agree with biffgnar. If you are going to use a harness, then it needs to have a sub belt. I will also say that harnesses belong in race vehicles and that your factory 3 pt belt will do what it needs to do. If you do decide to disregard all advice and do it anyway, just make damn sure you mount the harness bar at the correct height or you risk overcompressing your spine and causing permanent injury. And if you have a passenger, he/she won't be able to use the harnesses unless you are both sitting at the same height. All the more reason not to use these things in dual purpose Jeep...too many ways to eff yourself or someone else up if not used properly.

"The Wicked Flee When No Man Pursueth, But The Righteous Are Bold As A Lion."
post #10 of 15 Old 11-01-2016, 12:50 PM Thread Starter
xlTravislx
1994 YJ Wrangler 

I have corbeau seats with the corbeau seat brackets. Currently the OEM seat belts are at a horrible angle (I guess you could call it that) The neck strap sits latterly right on my neck. Like dead across my neck. Its very uncomfortable. Also as someone mentioned, the waist belts do come across my waist but they are not tight at all due to the fact that the side bolsters push the belt up pretty high. Not to mention the old OEM belts randomly unclick them selfs at certain angels if you move around in the seat. Its very unsafe.

My jeep is a DD and thats what I would want to consider first when choosing a harness. Ive been looking at some from summit.

-White Jeep Club Member 231-
Replacing random parts on hunches spurred from other vehicles and peoples experiences with them is the safest bet.
post #11 of 15 Old 11-01-2016, 01:16 PM
baritone_mike
1988 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by xlTravislx View Post
My jeep is a DD and thats what I would want to consider first when choosing a harness. Ive been looking at some from summit.
Shouldn't harnesses pin your shoulders to the seat when properly adjusted? Wouldn't that make it hard to check blind spots, back up, release the e-brake, turn on the head lights, adjust the HVAC or change radio stations?

˙ɹǝʌo ɹǝʇndɯoɔ ɹnoʎ dılɟ sıɥʇ pɐǝɹ uɐɔ noʎ ɟı
post #12 of 15 Old 11-01-2016, 05:07 PM
biffgnar

2006 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by baritone_mike View Post
Shouldn't harnesses pin your shoulders to the seat when properly adjusted? Wouldn't that make it hard to check blind spots, back up, release the e-brake, turn on the head lights, adjust the HVAC or change radio stations?
When properly harnessed it absolutely impacts lateral movement and visibility. As long as not wearing a head and neck restraint I think is manageable though and safe. When racing you combine it with a head and neck restraint that also limits lateral movement and you end up relying on your mirrors, your co-driver and luck.
post #13 of 15 Old 11-01-2016, 08:23 PM
Vinman
2005 LJ Wrangler 

Quote:
I have corbeau seats with the corbeau seat brackets. Currently the OEM seat belts are at a horrible angle (I guess you could call it that) The neck strap sits latterly right on my neck. Like dead across my neck. Its very uncomfortable. Also as someone mentioned, the waist belts do come across my waist but they are not tight at all due to the fact that the side bolsters push the belt up pretty high. Not to mention the old OEM belts randomly unclick them selfs at certain angels if you move around in the seat. Its very unsafe.

Sounds like you need seats better suited to the Jeep and seatbelts that work more than you need 4 point harnesses.
post #14 of 15 Old 11-02-2016, 01:03 PM
fromme

1977 CJ7 

Quote:

Then you bought the wrong seats for your body type and Jeep usage. Trying to band aid it by using harnesses made for racing doesn't make sense. Do you understand that if you strap yourself in there with 4 or 5 pt harness properly that you won't be able to move enough to check blind spots in your mirrors, reach the radio, etc. And you really expect that it won't get old hooking a harness up day in and day out, even on short trips somewhere?
You changed the seats and your seating position; you should consider changing the mounting position of your belt on the roll bar, and if necessary make an extension for the buckle end.
Or just wait and see if someone comes along and gives you the answer you want to hear.

"The Wicked Flee When No Man Pursueth, But The Righteous Are Bold As A Lion."
post #15 of 15 Old 11-02-2016, 02:38 PM
xxdabroxx
2001 TJ Wrangler 

Garage
only having harnesses in your DD would suck. I have them in a street/ strip car but usually only wear the lap belt on the street as it is hard to see, hard to reach anything, and a pain to hook up every time you get in or out of the car.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.