33's or 35's for rausch creek - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > Wrangler General Discussion > 33's or 35's for rausch creek

NEW JK WRANGLER GRAB BARS NOW at ROCKRIDGE4WDUSA Standard Chromoly Front Axle Shaft Kits with Dana 30 4Rugged Ridge Modular XHD Snorkel Now for both 3.8L and 3.6

Unread 05-19-2011, 05:55 PM   #1
Slick101
2003 TJ Wrangler 

33's or 35's for rausch creek

i just recently went on my first wheeling trip to rausch creek and now i want bigger tires i'd like to get 33's but i don't know if they are too small to run the tougher trails at RC. i did two blue trails 23 & 19 with my 31's and dented all the factory skids and slightly bent the front lower control arm bracket on the frame.

i don't really want 35's but i really don't want to be bending my lower control arm brackets i'll be eventually be upgrading the gas tank skid and tummy tuck later. i looked for skids for the lca's but no one seems to sell them on the frame side, only on the axle side. other than that my trailer hitch was getting the most abuse.

i was suprised on how well the jeep did i got stuck once in a rut

so are 33's good for black trails by the time i get them i'll have some sort of a locker in the front and 4.56 gears

Unread 05-19-2011, 06:28 PM   #2
jose_p_adams
1997 TJ Wrangler 

I don't think you'll have any trouble with black trails in Rausch Creek on 33s.
jose_p_adams is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-19-2011, 06:28 PM   #3
g4x4xgeoff
1994 YJ Wrangler 

mind as well run 40s

[url]http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/groups/ri-jeeps/[/url]

[COLOR="Black"][CENTER][SIZE="4"][FONT="Showcard Gothic"][COLOR="Black"][URL="http://groups.jeepforum.com/Built_Not_Bought"][COLOR="Black"]Built Not Bought #435[/COLOR][/URL][/FONT][/SIZE][/COLOR][/CENTER][/COLOR]
g4x4xgeoff is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-19-2011, 06:39 PM   #4
jeepinmichguy_
I haz ah Geep

2003 TJ Wrangler 

The difference between 33's and 35's is 1 inch of clearance. Stick with the 33's untill you can afford everything that comes with 35's.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheBoogieman View Post
Jeepinmichguy is a jerk.
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrblaine View Post
How about this, if you had the Jeep Spirit, you wouldn't abuse the rest of us trying to enjoy a nice day out wheeling by bringing your brokeass broken down junkyard crap out to play where it can't handle it?
Quote:
Originally Posted by JeepForum123 View Post
you all have nice rigs, stop being f****** a**holes.
jeepinmichguy_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-19-2011, 07:50 PM   #5
TimV
2003 TJ Wrangler 

As a fairly regular visitor to Rausch Creek, I can certainly say, that bigger tires won't stop you from breaking or bending stuff on their trails. I'm on 35's and I seem to end up with issues every trip.

My advice:
Get some heavy duty skids and rocker guards first, and keep running your 31's. You will be surprised how many places they will get you. You should be able to run all the blue trails with 31's and armor. Then, upgrade parts as needed as you wheel more. I am constantly finding out new things I want, simply because they will make my rig more capable for the trails I run. As far as bending the control arm brackets on the frame, I wouldn't worry too much. It's a way of life for anyone running through rocks regularly. Mine are bent up pretty good.
Unread 05-20-2011, 06:57 AM   #6
geiman
Web Wheeler
2004 TJ Wrangler 

Yep, TimV hit it on the head. The last few times we've been up several of us on 33s been following the guys on 35s and larger through blues and blacks all day. Its all in driver skill; there were places where one of us on 33s would walk through where the guy on 35s had a heck of a time; a bigger Jeep doesn't mean its a more capable Jeep. Sure if you have huge tires chances are you'll have an easier time if you know how to drive, but there is not much you can't do on 33s with proper driving and of course plenty of skid plates. A well built rig on 33s will go far. Take your time, save up and do it right instead of going huge all at once and then slowly trying to beef things up. You can have a lot of fun at Rausch on 33s (and even on your 31s).
geiman is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-21-2011, 08:52 AM   #7
Slick101
2003 TJ Wrangler 

thanks i'm plainning another trip to rausch in july or augest i'm going to try to get some armor

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.