32 RH durability TJ - JeepForum.com
Search  
Sign Up   Today's Posts
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > Wrangler General Discussion > 32 RH durability TJ

End of Summer Sale, 20% OFF!Introducing MONSTALINERô UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineRough Country Jeep Suspension Deals at Rockridge 4WD!

Reply
Unread 05-11-2013, 12:49 PM   #1
catnip15
Registered User
2002 TJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: Warren, Michigan
Posts: 477
32 RH durability TJ

02 TJ
32 RH Trans 3 speed

As much as I wanted a manual when I bought my Jeep (which is a auto) I'm glad I chose this one because it has only had minor problems in the almost 3 years I've had it, not to mention rust free and doesn't burn a drop of oil. However I dread the day when my Trans decides to go and begins slipping just like anyone else. Don't get me wrong, it shifts fine and the fluid has been changed at all the right times, but I've always wondered how long the 32 RH is destined to last so long as the fluid changes are kept up with.

In about a month ill be driving the jeep about 4 hours to Silver Lake MI, driving it on the dunes for about a week and then heading home. I have a B&M Trans cooler installed as well but I not sure what the limitations are on these transmissions. Can they be wheeled aggressively without burning up or should I take it easy and take breaks to let it cool down?

I guess I'm just curious to know how durable/reliable these transmissions are,

Thanks

__________________
My Build Thread

http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f22/stubby-02-tj-build-thread-dd-2523578/
catnip15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-11-2013, 02:34 PM   #2
jay-h
Registered User
1989 YJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: , NJ
Posts: 4,403
Quote:
Originally Posted by catnip15 View Post
02 TJ
32 RH Trans 3 speed

As much as I wanted a manual when I bought my Jeep (which is a auto) I'm glad I chose this one because it has only had minor problems in the almost 3 years I've had it, not to mention rust free and doesn't burn a drop of oil. However I dread the day when my Trans decides to go and begins slipping just like anyone else. Don't get me wrong, it shifts fine and the fluid has been changed at all the right times, but I've always wondered how long the 32 RH is destined to last so long as the fluid changes are kept up with.

In about a month ill be driving the jeep about 4 hours to Silver Lake MI, driving it on the dunes for about a week and then heading home. I have a B&M Trans cooler installed as well but I not sure what the limitations are on these transmissions. Can they be wheeled aggressively without burning up or should I take it easy and take breaks to let it cool down?

I guess I'm just curious to know how durable/reliable these transmissions are,

Thanks


If I understand the new nomenclature right, there are vagueness in exactly which is precisely referenced, but the 32RH (corrected typo) is basically the classic Torqueflite (904 or 999 or some variant between). Does yours have lockup?

If so, and it's in reasonable shape (no slipping, excess leaking etc) you should be fine. A few years ago I drove an '89 (160K) cross country. I didn't have a cooler, but I did have a trans temperature gage. A few times (notably Loveland Pass) I saw the temperature start to rise and resolved that by dropping into second.

Interestingly, interstate speeds across 100F+ temperatures in the desert did not elevate the oil temp, only sustained hill climbing.
__________________
My toys
'89 Wrangler YJ
'47 CJ2-A

wife's toys
97 Grand Cherokee (ZJ)
87 MB 560SL roadster
jay-h is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-11-2013, 07:31 PM   #3
LJameson
Registered User
1990 YJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Elizabeth Lake, CA
Posts: 3,756
The 32RH is just a Torqueflite 999 with a lock up torque converter. It's bulletproof. As long as you've been changing the fluid with ATF+4 and adjusted the bands, it'll last forever. The only thing is don't sink it in deep water when wheeling (the breather is in the bellhousing) and don't shift from reverse to drive (or vice versa) trying to rock out the Jeep when its stuck.
__________________
"Anything to do with the land, I love."
"So it's probably eighty percent luck and twenty percent skill."

-Chris LeDoux

I never could figure what the sky was thinking, but the soil, she don't keep too many secrets.
LJameson is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-11-2013, 07:42 PM   #4
Tdog02
Registered User
2002 TJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Near the heart of TX, Texas
Posts: 326
The cooler is an excellent addition. When changing the fluid and filter you should check the adjustment on the bands as laid out in the FSM. A temp gauge is a very good item to monitor the temp of the fluid which extends the life of the trans. I added a larger pan to mine which gave me one extra quart. If you just do routine maintenance on the 32 it will last the life of the 4.0 or really close, at least 200k.
__________________
it is what it is except when its something else
Tdog02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-11-2013, 09:50 PM   #5
catnip15
Registered User
2002 TJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: Warren, Michigan
Posts: 477
Alright thank you all very much. Normally I do all the work on my jeep but when it comes to transmission, even something as simple as an oil change, I take it to my trusted mechanic (best friends dad).

Last time I changed the fluid I put ATF+4 in it and some Lucas automatic Trans extend life fluid. I'm not sure if he did anything to the bands or not, but I do know he is very through
__________________
My Build Thread

http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f22/stubby-02-tj-build-thread-dd-2523578/
catnip15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-11-2013, 11:37 PM   #6
wesboy
Registered User
1997 TJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Australia
Posts: 391
I added a deeper tranny pan and temp gauge on my 32RH.
The temp gauge was a revelation - astonishing to see how much the trans temp change with conditions and how quickly temps can come down by changing your driving behaviour - all the time the engine temp gauge doesn't move a hair.

tranny-pan-2.jpg

tranny-temp-jeep-copy.jpg

Regular running temps are between 150 -180.
I've had it running 210-220 on all day highway driving at 65mph in 100 degree heat with the aircon running.
Dropping the speed to 55-60 brought the temp back down very quickly.
Had it off the scale once on a long soft beach run (30+ miles) but normally it doesn't get over 210 on the beach or playing in the dunes.
An auxillary cooler like your B&M has been on my shopping list for a long time
__________________
97 TJ Sport 4.0L Auto RHD
wesboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-12-2013, 05:51 AM   #7
jay-h
Registered User
1989 YJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: , NJ
Posts: 4,403
Wesboy's approach of putting a deeper pan with the sensor is the best way, but you can also cut the hot side coolant line and insert a sensor there. Fairly simple job (pressure is low so you can even use fuel line hose at the joint.
__________________
My toys
'89 Wrangler YJ
'47 CJ2-A

wife's toys
97 Grand Cherokee (ZJ)
87 MB 560SL roadster
jay-h is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-12-2013, 05:53 AM   #8
jay-h
Registered User
1989 YJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: , NJ
Posts: 4,403
Quote:
Originally Posted by catnip15 View Post
Alright thank you all very much. Normally I do all the work on my jeep but when it comes to transmission, even something as simple as an oil change, I take it to my trusted mechanic (best friends dad).

Last time I changed the fluid I put ATF+4 in it and some Lucas automatic Trans extend life fluid. I'm not sure if he did anything to the bands or not, but I do know he is very through
If the shifting is smooth and solid, the bands are probably fine.

The only concern here is the additive, if you use the correct fluid, additives should not be necessary and may work against you. When the manufacturer develops a specialized lubricant, all its behaviors are for a reason. ATF-4 has, among other things, a modified friction coefficient. Anything that alters that can cause issues (most often shuddering at lockup as the system ages). The shifting issues are part of the reason that ATF4 was developed in the 90s as a replacement for the ubiquitous Dexron.
__________________
My toys
'89 Wrangler YJ
'47 CJ2-A

wife's toys
97 Grand Cherokee (ZJ)
87 MB 560SL roadster
jay-h is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-12-2013, 11:03 AM   #9
JBTJ
JEEPer For Life
 
JBTJ's Avatar
2001 TJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Dallas, Texas
Posts: 10,096
Quote:
Originally Posted by LJameson View Post
The 32RH is just a Torqueflite 999 with a lock up torque converter. It's bulletproof. As long as you've been changing the fluid with ATF+4 and adjusted the bands, it'll last forever. The only thing is don't sink it in deep water when wheeling (the breather is in the bellhousing) and don't shift from reverse to drive (or vice versa) trying to rock out the Jeep when its stuck.
X2. I think it's the best auto transmission JEEP used. My 1980 CJ7 has 326k on it. The only thing done to it is regular fluid and filter changes. Also have one on my 2001 TJ. 140k and the same regular care.
JBTJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-12-2013, 08:05 PM   #10
catnip15
Registered User
2002 TJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: Warren, Michigan
Posts: 477
Quote:
Originally Posted by wesboy View Post
I added a deeper tranny pan and temp gauge on my 32RH.
The temp gauge was a revelation - astonishing to see how much the trans temp change with conditions and how quickly temps can come down by changing your driving behaviour - all the time the engine temp gauge doesn't move a hair.

Attachment 625674

Attachment 625677

Regular running temps are between 150 -180.
I've had it running 210-220 on all day highway driving at 65mph in 100 degree heat with the aircon running.
Dropping the speed to 55-60 brought the temp back down very quickly.
Had it off the scale once on a long soft beach run (30+ miles) but normally it doesn't get over 210 on the beach or playing in the dunes.
An auxillary cooler like your B&M has been on my shopping list for a long time
awesome, I will defiantly be purchasing a deeper pan in the future, I have a B&M trans temp gauge installed right now but it stopped working. Hopefully it just need some minor wire adjustment and not a replacement
catnip15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-12-2013, 08:07 PM   #11
catnip15
Registered User
2002 TJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: Warren, Michigan
Posts: 477
Quote:
Originally Posted by JBTJ View Post
X2. I think it's the best auto transmission JEEP used. My 1980 CJ7 has 326k on it. The only thing done to it is regular fluid and filter changes. Also have one on my 2001 TJ. 140k and the same regular care.
This is good to hear, ill make sure to baby it lol
catnip15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-12-2013, 08:10 PM   #12
catnip15
Registered User
2002 TJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: Warren, Michigan
Posts: 477
Quote:
Originally Posted by wesboy View Post
I added a deeper tranny pan and temp gauge on my 32RH.
The temp gauge was a revelation - astonishing to see how much the trans temp change with conditions and how quickly temps can come down by changing your driving behaviour - all the time the engine temp gauge doesn't move a hair.

Attachment 625674

Attachment 625677

Regular running temps are between 150 -180.
I've had it running 210-220 on all day highway driving at 65mph in 100 degree heat with the aircon running.
Dropping the speed to 55-60 brought the temp back down very quickly.
Had it off the scale once on a long soft beach run (30+ miles) but normally it doesn't get over 210 on the beach or playing in the dunes.
An auxillary cooler like your B&M has been on my shopping list for a long time
Btw what trans pan is that, looks nicely made and strong
catnip15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-13-2013, 04:50 AM   #13
wesboy
Registered User
1997 TJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Australia
Posts: 391
Quote:
Originally Posted by catnip15 View Post
Btw what trans pan is that, looks nicely made and strong
Skyjacker 'Rock Ready'

http://www.quadratec.com/products/12518_71_07.htm

- but have since seen plenty of others out there including some finned pans.
__________________
97 TJ Sport 4.0L Auto RHD
wesboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-13-2013, 10:33 AM   #14
catnip15
Registered User
2002 TJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: Warren, Michigan
Posts: 477
Quote:
Originally Posted by wesboy View Post
Skyjacker 'Rock Ready'

http://www.quadratec.com/products/12518_71_07.htm

- but have since seen plenty of others out there including some finned pans.
wow that guy is pricey but is no doubt a must if you have a auto, defiantly adding that to the list
catnip15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-14-2013, 11:34 AM   #15
JBTJ
JEEPer For Life
 
JBTJ's Avatar
2001 TJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Dallas, Texas
Posts: 10,096
Quote:
Originally Posted by catnip15 View Post
wow that guy is pricey but is no doubt a must if you have a auto, defiantly adding that to the list
Donít need it unless you do steep angle climbs. A cooler and external filter will serve you better for the most part.
JBTJ is offline   Reply With Quote




Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.