JeepForum.com

JeepForum.com (http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/)
-   Wrangler General Discussion (http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f176/)
-   -   32 RH durability TJ (http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f176/32-rh-durability-tj-1521945/)

catnip15 05-11-2013 12:49 PM

32 RH durability TJ

02 TJ
32 RH Trans 3 speed

As much as I wanted a manual when I bought my Jeep (which is a auto) I'm glad I chose this one because it has only had minor problems in the almost 3 years I've had it, not to mention rust free and doesn't burn a drop of oil. However I dread the day when my Trans decides to go and begins slipping just like anyone else. Don't get me wrong, it shifts fine and the fluid has been changed at all the right times, but I've always wondered how long the 32 RH is destined to last so long as the fluid changes are kept up with.

In about a month ill be driving the jeep about 4 hours to Silver Lake MI, driving it on the dunes for about a week and then heading home. I have a B&M Trans cooler installed as well but I not sure what the limitations are on these transmissions. Can they be wheeled aggressively without burning up or should I take it easy and take breaks to let it cool down?

I guess I'm just curious to know how durable/reliable these transmissions are,

Thanks

jay-h 05-11-2013 02:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by catnip15 (Post 15420029)
02 TJ
32 RH Trans 3 speed

As much as I wanted a manual when I bought my Jeep (which is a auto) I'm glad I chose this one because it has only had minor problems in the almost 3 years I've had it, not to mention rust free and doesn't burn a drop of oil. However I dread the day when my Trans decides to go and begins slipping just like anyone else. Don't get me wrong, it shifts fine and the fluid has been changed at all the right times, but I've always wondered how long the 32 RH is destined to last so long as the fluid changes are kept up with.

In about a month ill be driving the jeep about 4 hours to Silver Lake MI, driving it on the dunes for about a week and then heading home. I have a B&M Trans cooler installed as well but I not sure what the limitations are on these transmissions. Can they be wheeled aggressively without burning up or should I take it easy and take breaks to let it cool down?

I guess I'm just curious to know how durable/reliable these transmissions are,

Thanks

If I understand the new nomenclature right, there are vagueness in exactly which is precisely referenced, but the 32RH (corrected typo) is basically the classic Torqueflite (904 or 999 or some variant between). Does yours have lockup?

If so, and it's in reasonable shape (no slipping, excess leaking etc) you should be fine. A few years ago I drove an '89 (160K) cross country. I didn't have a cooler, but I did have a trans temperature gage. A few times (notably Loveland Pass) I saw the temperature start to rise and resolved that by dropping into second.

Interestingly, interstate speeds across 100F+ temperatures in the desert did not elevate the oil temp, only sustained hill climbing.

LJameson 05-11-2013 07:31 PM

The 32RH is just a Torqueflite 999 with a lock up torque converter. It's bulletproof. As long as you've been changing the fluid with ATF+4 and adjusted the bands, it'll last forever. The only thing is don't sink it in deep water when wheeling (the breather is in the bellhousing) and don't shift from reverse to drive (or vice versa) trying to rock out the Jeep when its stuck.

Tdog02 05-11-2013 07:42 PM

The cooler is an excellent addition. When changing the fluid and filter you should check the adjustment on the bands as laid out in the FSM. A temp gauge is a very good item to monitor the temp of the fluid which extends the life of the trans. I added a larger pan to mine which gave me one extra quart. If you just do routine maintenance on the 32 it will last the life of the 4.0 or really close, at least 200k.

catnip15 05-11-2013 09:50 PM

Alright thank you all very much. Normally I do all the work on my jeep but when it comes to transmission, even something as simple as an oil change, I take it to my trusted mechanic (best friends dad).

Last time I changed the fluid I put ATF+4 in it and some Lucas automatic Trans extend life fluid. I'm not sure if he did anything to the bands or not, but I do know he is very through

wesboy 05-11-2013 11:37 PM

2 Attachment(s)
I added a deeper tranny pan and temp gauge on my 32RH.
The temp gauge was a revelation - astonishing to see how much the trans temp change with conditions and how quickly temps can come down by changing your driving behaviour - all the time the engine temp gauge doesn't move a hair.

Attachment 625674

Attachment 625677

Regular running temps are between 150 -180.
I've had it running 210-220 on all day highway driving at 65mph in 100 degree heat with the aircon running.
Dropping the speed to 55-60 brought the temp back down very quickly.
Had it off the scale once on a long soft beach run (30+ miles) but normally it doesn't get over 210 on the beach or playing in the dunes.
An auxillary cooler like your B&M has been on my shopping list for a long time

jay-h 05-12-2013 05:51 AM

Wesboy's approach of putting a deeper pan with the sensor is the best way, but you can also cut the hot side coolant line and insert a sensor there. Fairly simple job (pressure is low so you can even use fuel line hose at the joint.

jay-h 05-12-2013 05:53 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by catnip15 (Post 15421862)
Alright thank you all very much. Normally I do all the work on my jeep but when it comes to transmission, even something as simple as an oil change, I take it to my trusted mechanic (best friends dad).

Last time I changed the fluid I put ATF+4 in it and some Lucas automatic Trans extend life fluid. I'm not sure if he did anything to the bands or not, but I do know he is very through

If the shifting is smooth and solid, the bands are probably fine.

The only concern here is the additive, if you use the correct fluid, additives should not be necessary and may work against you. When the manufacturer develops a specialized lubricant, all its behaviors are for a reason. ATF-4 has, among other things, a modified friction coefficient. Anything that alters that can cause issues (most often shuddering at lockup as the system ages). The shifting issues are part of the reason that ATF4 was developed in the 90s as a replacement for the ubiquitous Dexron.

JBTJ 05-12-2013 11:03 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by LJameson (Post 15421340)
The 32RH is just a Torqueflite 999 with a lock up torque converter. It's bulletproof. As long as you've been changing the fluid with ATF+4 and adjusted the bands, it'll last forever. The only thing is don't sink it in deep water when wheeling (the breather is in the bellhousing) and don't shift from reverse to drive (or vice versa) trying to rock out the Jeep when its stuck.

X2. I think it's the best auto transmission JEEP used. My 1980 CJ7 has 326k on it. The only thing done to it is regular fluid and filter changes. Also have one on my 2001 TJ. 140k and the same regular care. :thumbsup:

catnip15 05-12-2013 08:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by wesboy (Post 15422147)
The temp gauge was a revelation - astonishing to see how much the trans temp change with conditions and how quickly temps can come down by changing your driving behaviour - all the time the engine temp gauge doesn't move a hair.

Attachment 625674

Attachment 625677

I've had it running 210-220 on all day highway driving at 65mph in 100 degree heat with the aircon running.
Had it off the scale once on a long soft beach run (30+ miles) but normally it doesn't get over 210 on the beach or playing in the dunes.

awesome, I will defiantly be purchasing a deeper pan in the future, I have a B&M trans temp gauge installed right now but it stopped working. Hopefully it just need some minor wire adjustment and not a replacement

catnip15 05-12-2013 08:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JBTJ (Post 15423301)
X2. I think it's the best auto transmission JEEP used. My 1980 CJ7 has 326k on it. The only thing done to it is regular fluid and filter changes. Also have one on my 2001 TJ. 140k and the same regular care. :thumbsup:

This is good to hear, ill make sure to baby it lol

catnip15 05-12-2013 08:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by wesboy (Post 15422147)

Attachment 625674

Attachment 625677

Btw what trans pan is that, looks nicely made and strong

wesboy 05-13-2013 04:50 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by catnip15 (Post 15425214)
Btw what trans pan is that, looks nicely made and strong

Skyjacker 'Rock Ready'

http://www.quadratec.com/products/12518_71_07.htm

- but have since seen plenty of others out there including some finned pans.

catnip15 05-13-2013 10:33 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by wesboy (Post 15426090)
Skyjacker 'Rock Ready'

http://www.quadratec.com/products/12518_71_07.htm

- but have since seen plenty of others out there including some finned pans.

wow that guy is pricey but is no doubt a must if you have a auto, defiantly adding that to the list

JBTJ 05-14-2013 11:34 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by catnip15 (Post 15427192)
wow that guy is pricey but is no doubt a must if you have a auto, defiantly adding that to the list

Donít need it unless you do steep angle climbs. A cooler and external filter will serve you better for the most part.

The time now is 04:34 PM.