30+ Uses for a Stinger - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > Wrangler General Discussion > 30+ Uses for a Stinger

Halloween Savings to die for!Offset Tie Rod Kit From RuffStuff!Ruffstuff Axle Simple Swap Kit!

Unread 07-24-2013, 04:23 AM   #1
QESdunn
1999 TJ Wrangler 

30+ Uses for a Stinger

Add your own ideas

Disclaimer: The following should only be attempted by trained professionals

By attaching a cable pulley at the top of the stinger (if well made) the cable of the winch can pull up on a stuck vehicle in a ditch or behind a log, instead of pulling the vehicle directly into the obstruction. Thus allowing the stuck vehicle to roll over the obstruction instead of being cinched into the obstruction.

The stinger with a cable pulley provides a better angle for pulling logs out of the woods, keeping the leading edge of the log out of the dirt.

The stinger with a cable pulley provides short lift capability to lift a vehicle for tire repair or other maintenance when a high lift jack is not available.

The stinger with a cable pulley provides a short lift capacity for lifting an engine block to move it.

The stinger in conjunction with a pipe end support on the bumper, allows a hardened thick wall pipe with a cable pulley on the end to rest within the stinger (some minor engineering may be needed) to create a lifting bar for high lift needs such as motor extraction/installation from/into a vehicle.

Sidebar: The winch with a pipe and eyebolt/nut/washers can be used to pull/install some pressed bearings (not easy, but doable)

The stinger can help protect the front grill & radiator when boring through brush and trees.

The stinger (if gusseted) can provide some protection for the radiator from swarming bugs that would otherwise fill in the radiator.

The stinger provides an acute reference when approaching a tree or wall.

The stinger is an ideal anchor (openly accessible and no sharp edges) when repelling down cliffs; wheels blocked/deflated.

The stinger is an ideal visible rope connection when pulling tension on a rope to control the direction of tree fall when cutting down a tree. Whenever pulling with a rope or chain throw something like a tarp over the midpoint of the rope or chain to prevent something from breaking loose and hitting the Jeep (you).

The stinger provides an easy means of securing the jeep to a tree or pole as a form of theft deterrent.

The stinger in collaboration with a 2x4 of a useful length can be used in conjunction with the winch to break the tire bead loose from the rim.

[highly dangerous due to pinch points] The stinger with the help of a second person can be used to break the bead of a tire by compressing the tire against a tree.

By wrapping the winch cable around the perimeter of a tire that the tire bead has separated (following repair of tire for instance) the tire can be wedged between the stinger and the bumper to force the rubber bead out against the rim so that air can fill the tire.

By placing life cushions (boat) on the stinger (depending upon configuration), this creates a comfortable place to sit or lay-back and read or otherwise soak up some sun (feet on the hood).

The stinger provides some end-over protection as previously cited; better yet, don't end-over your Jeep.

The stinger provides an ideal place to tie off a horse.

Provides a place to mount an observation chair (with seat-belt and properly engineered) for taking pictures/video of extreme-sports/movie-sets.

The stinger provides an ideal anchor for one end of a hammock or simple canvass built tent/rain-cover (the other end a tree)

The stinger provides an easy mounting location for two bicycles (one on top, lashed to one underneath).

[highly dangerous, needs professional engineering] The stinger provides a tie off point for bungee jumping.

The stinger can be used as a lift point for changing front tires.

The stinger can be used to mount driver remotely operated devices like: camera, water cannon (fire fighting, beach party , parade gizmo), propane cannon (noise maker), HD spotlight, ham radio antenna, high zoom spotting scope, animatronics ...

The stinger, a cable pulley, the winch, and tow connectors (if installed) provides the connection points for a mini fork-lift, or bale spear (moving hay bales).

The stinger provides a secure tie-off point for kites.

The stinger provides a stable anchor for mounting a clamped on vise or other tools for field work.

The stinger provides a place to securely mount a removable satellite dish (now that's roughing it).

The stinger provides a place to securely mount a loud speaker for public address, event music...

The stinger provides a place to mount a lighted Christmas tree, over-sized football helmet, long-horn stear horns, valentine's heart, or other holiday/event ornamentation (don't obstruct your driving vision).

The stinger provides an alternate location to mount a second spare tire; slung from under stinger.

A stinger and related frame work that is not strong enough to handle end-over forces is not useful for end-over protection. But, as shown above, you can come up with a large variety of other uses.

Last edited by QESdunn; 07-25-2013 at 08:30 AM.. Reason: grammar error, provided a learning opportunity in the form of a safety tip, tried to make the topic more fun
QESdunn is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-24-2013, 04:46 AM   #2
superj
1987 YJ Wrangler 

the stinger is also good for finding how far away from a parked car you are in parallel parking if you have forgotten your glasses.

if it touches the car, you are to close.
if it leaves a shadow on top of the trunk, you are really close.
Unread 07-24-2013, 06:05 AM   #3
Siva283
1995 YJ Wrangler 

So this is what you TJ guys do with your time? I always wondered that. Us YJ guys dont usually have that kind of time since we would prefer to mod rather than think of a hundred and 1 things that we can use that mod for but would probably never be in a position to even use it for that let alone need it.

[QUOTE=Magnum;14117863] I gave the Jeep the required offering of $$, sweat, and blood, and everything works fine now. -- Jim[/QUOTE]

[QUOTE=ldso;16498409]. It started with a $200 axle, and a few thousand dollars later I was done :)[/QUOTE]

[QUOTE=Luuca;16122017]diagnose the real issue before you start going all Obama on it - spending mad cash you'll need for other important things.

Ask me how I know...[/QUOTE]

[QUOTE=Overhead;17658665]this is also my second set of RC springs this year. I'd rather spend the money again and get something that will last.[/QUOTE]
Siva283 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-24-2013, 08:53 AM   #4
HKusp
1993 YJ Wrangler 

Who trains these "professionals"?
HKusp is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-24-2013, 08:59 AM   #5
squarelite
1993 YJ Wrangler 

Pulling a stuck vehicle from a ditch. Not a sound technique in my book. ThAts a ton of leverage on the front end. I would love to see it, but you won't catch me doing it. At least jeeps are light enough that you and a buddy can push it off of its nose afterwards.
squarelite is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-24-2013, 09:03 AM   #6
tom_sprecher
1991 YJ Wrangler 

What's a stinger?
Unread 07-24-2013, 09:06 AM   #7
Siva283
1995 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by tom_sprecher View Post
What's a stinger?
Its what this guy is go to feel in the wallet area if he spends to much more time on this uses for a stinger crap. I am dissapointed I expect this crap from JK guys not TJ guys.

[QUOTE=Magnum;14117863] I gave the Jeep the required offering of $$, sweat, and blood, and everything works fine now. -- Jim[/QUOTE]

[QUOTE=ldso;16498409]. It started with a $200 axle, and a few thousand dollars later I was done :)[/QUOTE]

[QUOTE=Luuca;16122017]diagnose the real issue before you start going all Obama on it - spending mad cash you'll need for other important things.

[QUOTE=Overhead;17658665]this is also my second set of RC springs this year. I'd rather spend the money again and get something that will last.[/QUOTE]
Unread 07-24-2013, 10:05 AM   #8
biffgnar
Web Wheeler

2006 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Siva283 View Post
So this is what you TJ guys do with your time? I always wondered that. Us YJ guys dont usually have that kind of time since we would prefer to mod rather than think of a hundred and 1 things that we can use that mod for but would probably never be in a position to even use it for that let alone need it.
Please don't throw us all into that category. From my perspective the situations where stingers are useful are very few and far between and most stingers on the market aren't designed properly for those situations. I could see how they would be a good way for people to compensate for other shortcomings though.
Unread 07-24-2013, 10:11 AM   #9
Siva283
1995 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by biffgnar View Post
Please don't throw us all into that category. From my perspective the situations where stingers are useful are very few and far between and most stingers on the market aren't designed properly for those situations. I could see how they would be a good way for people to compensate for other shortcomings though.
It was a joke relax man. Well mostly

Unread 07-24-2013, 10:53 AM   #10
dayriesw
Web Wheeler

2005 LJ Wrangler 

The stinger is used to show the sizeof your manhood. more manhood = less stinger.

The stinger is used to bust windows out when parallel parking.

The stinger is used when you lock up your brakes to hit the vehicle in front of you when you would have missed it completely.

The stinger is a jeepers response to street racer's underglow.... just a pointless.

The stinger is used on wheeled jeeps to support the jeep if it rolls, but no one in this thread wheels that hard.

Jeep-Owners.com
LouisianaOffroad.com
dayriesw is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-24-2013, 11:03 AM   #11
squarelite
1993 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by dayriesw
The stinger is used on wheeled jeeps to support the jeep if it rolls, but no one in this thread wheels that hard.
Really?

I run a bull bar on mine, but it's there to protect my winch and radiator when those giant rocks and trees jump in front of me.
squarelite is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-24-2013, 11:22 AM   #12
SilverStreaker
2012 JK Wrangler 

excellent 1st post, welcome to the forum

My Wife's Jeep - 2007 Grand Cherokee - only mod - K&N Cold Air Intake system
SilverStreaker is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-24-2013, 11:32 AM   #13
Siva283
1995 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by dayriesw View Post
the stinger is used to show the sizeof your manhood. More manhood = less stinger.

The stinger is used to bust windows out when parallel parking.

The stinger is used when you lock up your brakes to hit the vehicle in front of you when you would have missed it completely.

The stinger is a jeepers response to street racer's underglow.... Just a pointless.

The stinger is used on wheeled jeeps to support the jeep if it rolls, but no one in this thread with round headlights and coil springs wheels that hard.
fify

Unread 07-24-2013, 11:33 AM   #14
Siva283
1995 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by SilverStreaker View Post
excellent 1st post, welcome to the forum
He also cut and pasted it into another thread. So it would be excellent first two post. But we know what you meant.

Unread 07-24-2013, 11:59 AM   #15
zenman
2013 JK Wrangler 

Stingers are for guys who don't already have a big package up front....

Old Jeep: 2012 JK Sahara Dozer
zenman is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Tags
accessories , spare tire , stinger bumper , utility , winches

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.