2013 Wrangler Unlimited pros/cons - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > Wrangler General Discussion > 2013 Wrangler Unlimited pros/cons

Ruffstuff Axle Simple Swap Kit!ROCK BOTTOM prices on LIFT KITS at Rockridge4wd!! WANT TO Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed Line

Unread 05-07-2013, 11:08 AM   #1
kbarnhouse
2011 KK Liberty 

2013 Wrangler Unlimited pros/cons

Hey guys, sorry if this isnt the right place but it's my first post.

I currently have a 2011 Liberty 4x4 and I'm trying to convince the wife to upgrade to a 2013 Wrangler Unlimited. I'm not worried about the price as I've gotten the payments comfortably to what we can afford, she's concerned about a few other issues.

1. She's concerned about the gas mileage. It has to be better than our Liberty as its a gas hog. The dealer assures me with the new engine it'll be better. The specs on the window of the Jeep suggest much better gas mileage than what I've been reading online. So my question is how much better mileage can I expect?

2. The only other thing is re-sale value. I think that a Liberty would depreciate faster than a Wrangler. 3-4 years from now what vehicle would give me the best value.

Thanks and sorry again if this isnt the right place. I've owned a few Jeeps but this would be my first new one and I want to get it right and not regret anything.

kbarnhouse is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-07-2013, 11:13 AM   #2
gogogooch
2009 JK Wrangler 

Well here is what the Feds say about your Liberty:
2011 Jeep Liberty 2WD 6 cyl, 3.7 L, Automatic 4-spd, Regular Gasoline
City
Combined
Highway
2011 Jeep Liberty 4WD 6 cyl, 3.7 L, Automatic 4-spd, Regular Gasoline
City
Combined

And basically here is what they say about the Wrangler:
City
Combined
Highway

So Gas mileage is most likely no difference, however resales value will blow the Liberty out of the water.

My $0.02
gogogooch is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-07-2013, 12:18 PM   #3
Monkeybomber
2013 JK Wrangler 

Practically speaking I'd say I generally get around 18mpgs in town, and 16 /17 on the highway. I generally use cruise control, and go around 75-80MPH. Based on resale value, the wrangler will hold its value far better. Demand is far higher , and if I had to guess, the demand for post 2012 wranglers is gonna go higher because people want the 3.6L over the 3.8L.

EDIT: As people have noted, you're going to get probably 20MPG's if you drive at 60 or 65 with the cruise on on the highway. The drop in mileage as you go up in speed is enourmous, until you consider that you're forcing a 4500lb brick through the air at 80MPH. I just like to drive fast
Monkeybomber is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-07-2013, 12:25 PM   #4
MKWrangler
2008 JK Wrangler 

75-80mph will net you worse gas mileage than cruising at 65-70mph. So that is a variable that depends on the driver. Also, remember, if you start adding bumpers, rock rails, larger tires, and other heavy items, that will affect gas mileage too.
MKWrangler is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-07-2013, 12:35 PM   #5
Tbasham
2013 JK Wrangler 

You should calculate the gas mileage your liberty gets by hand and then compare. I drive my 2dr manual with a heavier than normal foot and the cpu says i get about 20.8 miles to gallon but doing the math by hand i get roughly 17-18 mpg. That is also with about 50/50 highway city driving to and from work. Since you are looking at a 4dr, one of my friends drives a 4dr auto and he gets roughly 17-18 mpg which he calcualted out by hand. Only time I ever get 21 mpg on the highway is if i drive 65 mph.
Tbasham is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-07-2013, 12:58 PM   #6
HOKIES2010
Web Wheeler

2011 JK Wrangler 

Nobody ever bought a Wrangler for MPG, and like someone said the resale is awesome. Just look up 4 yr old JKUs and see.
Unread 05-07-2013, 01:07 PM   #7
SuckerPunch
2014 JK Wrangler 

Here is the truth - You are ready to sell the liberty. If you get a JKU then you will NEVER be ready to sell(unless you are upgrading to another JKU). Resale value is unbelievable on JKU's and like I said - Once you own one you will never want to let it go. Any other car, liberty, etc... who cares if you sell it and they are a dime a dozen...

BUY A JKU - YOU WILL NOT REGRET IT!
SuckerPunch is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-07-2013, 11:55 PM   #8
BadHammers
2013 JK Wrangler 

My wife's '11 Liberty 4x4 and my '13 Rubi both get almost identical fuel economy. I hand-calculate mpg for every tank. We both drive conservatively. The Libby does do a little better than the JK on long trips. YMMV, but I think you would be disappointed if you make the decision based on fuel economy.

Our Liberty has the full time transfer case. My wife knows in winter wx & other low traction situations, she can flip the switch to auto 4x4 and drive. No worries if left in 4x4 on dry pavement. Not the same story with the JK.

One other thing to consider is difference in tow capacity between the two. The lib is rated a little better and does tow pretty well.
Jeeps past 01 XJ, 08 JK, 11 KK
BadHammers is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-09-2013, 12:02 AM   #9
joe108
2003 TJ Wrangler 

Have her go for a long, long test drive in the jk and see how SHE likes it and have her "convince" herself one way or another.
If she doesn't like it you have to live with consequences...
joe108 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-09-2013, 06:32 AM   #10
Ruffles
2010 JK Wrangler 

Agree with having the wife take an extended test drive if possible. Make sure the top is down, and she'll be sold.
Ruffles is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-09-2013, 07:14 AM   #11
M2jeepin
2013 TJ Wrangler 

Honestly, I don't get more than 17-19 combined but, I trade my 13 sport to 13 rubicon. I made 300. It crazy that how much your wrangler will bring on the table when time trade than any other brands including great japanies cars. You may spend $30 more for gas a month but, you will get better return when you ready to trade.
M2jeepin is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.