2012 vs 2013 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > Wrangler General Discussion > 2012 vs 2013

ROCKRIDGE4WD Introduces a NEW Jeep Wrangler JK *led* tail ROCK BOTTOM prices on LIFT KITS at Rockridge4wd!! WANT TO NEW JK WRANGLER GRAB BARS NOW at ROCKRIDGE4WD

Unread 06-30-2013, 01:59 PM   #1
borrego
2003 TJ Wrangler 

2012 vs 2013

Getting ready to upgrade to a JK from my old TJ. So, with my budget at approx $23k, I find that I can buy either a '12 or '13 for roughly the same price. For instance, there is a private seller locally with a '12, fully loaded, 14k miles for $23,900. A local dealer will sell me a new '13 with just AC and Automatic Trans for $23100. So, money being equal, would y'all take a brand new car, or one with a few more options and a few more miles? Plus I've been reading on here about the dreaded 'engine tick'. Is it more likely on a 2012?
Or I suppose a 3rd choicce is to get a 2011 model with the older, slower but maybe more reliable engine, and save some $$
Sorry if this has been covered, I did a search and came up empty....
All advice greatly appreciated!

borrego is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-30-2013, 03:31 PM   #2
Breitling
2013 JK Wrangler 

I don't think older engine anyhow better than Pentastar and I am driving second car with this engine since 2011. I am not saying it is perfect but ...
Unread 07-01-2013, 08:04 AM   #3
222Doc
2012 JK Wrangler 

the auto in the 011 is horrible. if you are set on a auto. compared to the new auto in the 012+ night and day. if jeep used the old 42le4speed auto even the new pentatick would be a dog. its all about gear ratio.

the tick issue is not just Jeep all platforms. I have read that they are on what seems to be the third generation of the head design. Though officially Jeep has only put the blame on possible: bad fuel, driver or possible regional conditions. The jury is not out I think. 013 few have enough miles to say, most 012 still have few miles too. most issues seem to pop up under 36K. Chrysler is still saying its less than 1%. but that is only the ones that have coded out early enough to be noticed. The 1% seems rather low amount since one could say 1% of a million motors could have about anything go wrong. This seems to be the same thing and the same issue, a bad valve/seal seat. #2 or 6. mostly 2.

I have yet to hear a real answer to this. Would be nice if some one did there own tech inspection on what failed. But being that the center cylinder on both banks. leads me to think its a heat issue. perhaps having that exhaust manifold casted into the head leads to heat migration? No one knows. Chrysler is hush lipped.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.