2012 JEEP CAUGHT ON FIRE (Present and Future Owners, Please read) - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > Wrangler General Discussion > 2012 JEEP CAUGHT ON FIRE (Present and Future Owners, Please read)

Artec Holiday Sale!Bead Lock Wheels! Raceline, Trail Ready, & Trail-GearROCKRIDGE4WD Introduces a NEW Jeep Wrangler JK *led* tail

Unread 05-21-2012, 02:44 AM   #1
Selafane
2012 JK Wrangler 

2012 JEEP CAUGHT ON FIRE (Present and Future Owners, Please read)

Well, my heart has slowed down enough to tell my story. Yesterday 5/20/12 at around 9:20pm, which is 15mins before I leave for work. I wake up to my Mom, screaming "WHERES THE PHONE! OH MY GOD" I immediately hop out of bed hearing my Dad Yelling "JAKE, YOUR JEEP IS ON FIRE!" I run upstairs and look out the window to witness something, what could only happen in a dream....or so I thought. My 2012 Jeep Wrangler Sport S with under 600 miles on it, is set a blaze. I couldn't believe my eyes. Since I was parked in between My moms 09 Jeep Patriot and my Dads 07 Dodge 2500 Long Horn Edition diesel truck, Not only was my vehicle on fire, but theirs as well. If my clutch hadn't give out from the flames, the fire could of caught our house on fire. Were lucky it burnt something out, which caused my car to roll down the driveway onto our lawn away from any future danger.

We currently have no information in regards to how the fire started. My family and I are all just as shocked and dumbfounded as you might be. We have no answers, only theories. My Jeep mechanically was perfect, everything ran smooth and perfect...once again, so I thought. Could this be an issue with the new Penstar motor, no idea, but it's possible. As a citizen and caring individual, I made this post, to warn you guys, and to alert anyone thinking about or presently owns a 2012 Wrangler. I will be updating this as soon as I know more. The second I find something out, It will be posted on here. Everyone, seriously be careful, I could of vary well have been in my Jeep had I have to leave for work earlier. I'm thankful everyone was alright. God Bless.

Here is a video I just put together. Since everyone was ok and no one got hurt, I felt a little humor was necessary to help take away some of the sorrow.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T5Ut9...ature=youtu.be

Selafane is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-21-2012, 02:53 AM   #2
MKWrangler
2008 JK Wrangler 

That's horrible, I will be following this thread.
MKWrangler is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-21-2012, 03:17 AM   #3
JKq8mod

!
This is really weird, how can this happen if the car is not even running? Have you installed anything extra? Maybe a malfunctioning remote start? There is no proper explanation for that except… someone setting it on fire on purpose…
JKq8mod is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-21-2012, 05:30 AM   #4
JKilla
2007 JK Wrangler 

RIP 2012 Jeep. My thoughts are with you in your time of sorrow.
JKilla is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-21-2012, 05:45 AM   #5
73azbronco
2013 JK Wrangler 

Wow, sorry. Maybe they shouldn't have code named the pentastar "Phoenix".
73azbronco is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-21-2012, 06:35 AM   #6
WXman
Web Wheeler
2001 WJ 

Interested to hear what the determination is about the cause of the fire. Things plugged into the outlets can cause this but there are a ton of ways this could have happened.
WXman is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-21-2012, 06:41 AM   #7
SB99TJ
2008 JK Wrangler 

Wow, that sucks. I will be watching this. I am curious if the fire investigator found any sign of arson? That's difficult on a vehicle fire. My instinct says if the car sat for three hours, then ignited it's likely arson. Was the top down? Could somebody have driven by and flicked a cigarette in the Jeep igniting the seat?

Seems unlikely too...but strange it caught fire 3 hours after you drove it. Most electrical issues are caught by a fuse long before a fire could start. Most fires are related to flamable liquids in the engine bay. Your engine was almost cold after 3 hours. I'm stumped.

Good luck...can't wait to hear more on this one.
AEV Argent Pintlers
AEV front bumper with Superwinch EPI9000
SB99TJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-21-2012, 06:45 AM   #8
1BadJK07
2007 JK Wrangler 

Maybe faulty wiring? This wouldnt make sense considering the car was off. A hot wire could also be the issue. This is the first I have heard of this.
1BadJK07 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-21-2012, 06:50 AM   #9
paul84043
2012 JK Wrangler 

Early 90's pontiac firebirds and Chevy camaros were famous for this. I'm sure the reason is not the same, but they would sit and smoulder for hours after something in the fuel system overheated and then burst into flames.
Was your automatic or standard?
How long had it been sitting since it was driven last, and how far was that last trip?
Did you anger someone that would want to retaliate against you?
It's good that everyone got out okay. Looks like insurance is going to pay off big time for you.
If this were an inherent problem with the pentastar engine, I'm sure we would have heard something about one of the thousands of Grand Cherokees and Town and Country vans that have used it for the past 4 or 5 years. It's got to be some kind of accessory, or person that you angered at some point doing it on purpose.

It will be interesting to see what they determine as the root cause...
paul84043 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-21-2012, 07:04 AM   #10
LIJeepJC
2012 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by JKq8mod
!
This is really weird, how can this happen if the car is not even running? Have you installed anything extra? Maybe a malfunctioning remote start? There is no proper explanation for that except… someone setting it on fire on purpose…
Electrical short could cause it and doesn't need to be running...
Good luck op. keep us posted.
LIJeepJC is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-21-2012, 07:12 AM   #11
cyberpyrot
2012 JK Wrangler 

Spontanious jeep cumbustion this is not the first reported case do a google search it has been plauging rhe 2012 wranglers. Not that wide spread for panic sorry for your loss.

Thought of the day
Trust people who like big butts they cannot lie...
cyberpyrot is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-21-2012, 07:16 AM   #12
LIJeepJC
2012 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by cyberpyrot
Spontanious jeep cumbustion this is not the first reported case do a google search it has been plauging rhe 2012 wranglers. Not that wide spread for panic sorry for your loss.
Though I haven't searched, I didn't hear about the 12's catching fire. Would it be for the suspected same reasons; I.e: the skid plates? Or overheating trans coolers?
LIJeepJC is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-21-2012, 07:43 AM   #13
aristobrat
2010 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by LIJeepJC View Post
Though I haven't searched, I didn't hear about the 12's catching fire. Would it be for the suspected same reasons; I.e: the skid plates? Or overheating trans coolers?
The 12's have the new skid "bar" (that can't accumulate leaves/debris to catch on fire), plus the new automatic transmission cooler, so hopefully those two issues are mitigated.
aristobrat is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-21-2012, 07:49 AM   #14
bhoch
2012 JK Wrangler 

That's just nuts!

Not sure it was from the transmission overheating or leaves accumulating and getting to hot if he was in bed sleeping and it was just before he was needing to get up to leave for work as the transmission and any leaves should have been cool from sitting for a few hours and not anything remotely hot. So, there must have been something else that was the cause.

I would like to know what the actual cause was whenever it is discovered.
bhoch is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-21-2012, 07:52 AM   #15
cyberpyrot
2012 JK Wrangler 

http://www.usatoday.com/money/autos/...ers/55083364/1

Thought of the day
Trust people who like big butts they cannot lie...
cyberpyrot is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.