2007 JK or 2004 Rubicon? - JeepForum.com
Search  
Sign Up   Today's Posts
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > Wrangler General Discussion > 2007 JK or 2004 Rubicon?

Jeep Wrangler Wheel Bearing & Hub - FrontJeep Grand Cherokee Window RegulatorComponent speaker deal for your dash - NalinMFG

Reply
Unread 05-14-2013, 06:49 AM   #1
jrbrannan
Registered User
2003 TJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Bloomington, il
Posts: 172
2007 JK or 2004 Rubicon?

So it maybe close to me jumping back into the Jeep world again . I am currently looking between two Jeeps, 2007 JK 2door, 2003 Rubicon. Both have around 55k miles, both have automatics and soft tops. The JK has a 2" lift and 33" tires the Rubicon has a 4" lift and 35" tires. This will be a secondary car for me that I will drive on nice days, the weekends, and take on the trail maybe 5-8 times a year. The JK is running about $2500 more, thoughts? I was leaning towards the Rubicon simply because I think it will hold it's value better but I am interested to hear what others think..

jrbrannan is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-14-2013, 08:44 AM   #2
dualtjs
Registered User
2011 JK Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Atlanta
Posts: 1,281
Rubi. D44's with locking diffs make it more capable off road. The 3.8L engine isn't really an "upgrade" over the 4.0L. Take the extra $2,500 and use it for sye and other upgrades.

edit: use the cash that you save for a regear (which both will need, if it hasn't been done already).
dualtjs is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-14-2013, 09:02 AM   #3
jrbrannan
Registered User
2003 TJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Bloomington, il
Posts: 172
The Rubicon has the 241 which does not need a SYE if I remember correctly. I know the axles and the lockers are better on the Rubicon, as is the engine if nothing else as a work horse that should give me a TON of miles problem free. I guess I am trying to see the comfort factor of the JK vs the upgrades on the Rubicon TJ, as well as the value down the road seeing as I hope to buy a 4 door Rubicon when the next gen Wranglers come out.
jrbrannan is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-14-2013, 10:09 AM   #4
tyvanwie
Registered User
1998 TJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: Boone, North Carolina
Posts: 9,494
Quote:
Originally Posted by dualtjs
Rubi. D44's with locking diffs make it more capable off road. The 3.8L engine isn't really an "upgrade" over the 4.0L. Take the extra $2,500 and use it for sye and other upgrades.

edit: use the cash that you save for a regear (which both will need, if it hasn't been done already).
This.

Sent from my iForum using JeepPhone
__________________
[SIZE="4"][B][COLOR="Red"][URL="http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f22/tys-tj-1475530/#post14926343"]MY BUILD THREAD[/URL][/COLOR][/B][/SIZE]
[SIZE="4"][B][URL="http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f374/tyvanwies-log-transformation-1489190/"]MY FITNESS LOG/TRANSFORMATION[/URL][/B][/SIZE]
[SIZE="4"][B][URL="http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f127/jk-tj-parts-1525039/"]JK AND TJ PARTS FOR SALE[/URL][/B][/SIZE]

I'm pretty sure I know what I'm talking about. I think...
tyvanwie is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-14-2013, 11:09 AM   #5
TJDaveX
Motorized Toy Collector
 
TJDaveX's Avatar
2004 TJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Eastern WA
Posts: 2,865
There is a chance, although slight, that the 2007 JK could have a D35 in the rear.
Even if it does have the D44 rear, unless it is also a Rubicon, it will have a D30 up front. All my friends with JK D30's have had problems with theirs. They don't seem to hold together as well as a TJ D30 with large tires.

I would get the TJ Rubicon. But, I'm biased also.
TJDaveX is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-14-2013, 11:24 AM   #6
jrbrannan
Registered User
2003 TJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Bloomington, il
Posts: 172
Quote:
Originally Posted by TJDaveX View Post
There is a chance, although slight, that the 2007 JK could have a D35 in the rear.
Even if it does have the D44 rear, unless it is also a Rubicon, it will have a D30 up front. All my friends with JK D30's have had problems with theirs. They don't seem to hold together as well as a TJ D30 with large tires.

I would get the TJ Rubicon. But, I'm biased also.
This is the way I am leaning as well. Even though I am big guy (6'8" 225) the idea of the smaller and more simple TJ is a huge advantage. I like the JK's but they just seem almost too big, probably in the way a TJ seems too big to the people who own the old CJ-2's.
jrbrannan is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-14-2013, 11:26 AM   #7
tyvanwie
Registered User
1998 TJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: Boone, North Carolina
Posts: 9,494
Quote:
Originally Posted by jrbrannan

This is the way I am leaning as well. Even though I am big guy (6'8" 225) the idea of the smaller and more simple TJ is a huge advantage. I like the JK's but they just seem almost too big, probably in the way a TJ seems too big to the people who own the old CJ-2's.
Having owned an 08 JKU and my 98 TJ now, I don't recall the JKU having any noticeable headroom.

Sent from my iForum using JeepPhone
__________________
[SIZE="4"][B][COLOR="Red"][URL="http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f22/tys-tj-1475530/#post14926343"]MY BUILD THREAD[/URL][/COLOR][/B][/SIZE]
[SIZE="4"][B][URL="http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f374/tyvanwies-log-transformation-1489190/"]MY FITNESS LOG/TRANSFORMATION[/URL][/B][/SIZE]
[SIZE="4"][B][URL="http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f127/jk-tj-parts-1525039/"]JK AND TJ PARTS FOR SALE[/URL][/B][/SIZE]

I'm pretty sure I know what I'm talking about. I think...
tyvanwie is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-14-2013, 11:32 AM   #8
jrbrannan
Registered User
2003 TJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Bloomington, il
Posts: 172
Quote:
Originally Posted by tyvanwie View Post
Having owned an 08 JKU and my 98 TJ now, I don't recall the JKU having any noticeable headroom.

Sent from my iForum using JeepPhone
I owned a 08 JKU as well, and honestly my head rested right against the roll bar at times, if I were to have gotten into an accident it would have not been pretty.
jrbrannan is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-14-2013, 11:35 AM   #9
tyvanwie
Registered User
1998 TJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: Boone, North Carolina
Posts: 9,494
Quote:
Originally Posted by jrbrannan

I owned a 08 JKU as well, and honestly my head rested right against the roll bar at times, if I were to have gotten into an accident it would have not been pretty.
Damn. Yeah I'm only 6' so you'd be able to tell a difference.

Sent from my iForum using JeepPhone
__________________
[SIZE="4"][B][COLOR="Red"][URL="http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f22/tys-tj-1475530/#post14926343"]MY BUILD THREAD[/URL][/COLOR][/B][/SIZE]
[SIZE="4"][B][URL="http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f374/tyvanwies-log-transformation-1489190/"]MY FITNESS LOG/TRANSFORMATION[/URL][/B][/SIZE]
[SIZE="4"][B][URL="http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f127/jk-tj-parts-1525039/"]JK AND TJ PARTS FOR SALE[/URL][/B][/SIZE]

I'm pretty sure I know what I'm talking about. I think...
tyvanwie is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-15-2013, 10:26 AM   #10
bdub1285
Registered User
2001 TJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: Pasadena, MD
Posts: 46
Definitely go with a Rubicon. Better engine, axles, lockers, transfer case...
__________________
2001 Jeep Wrangler Sport, 4.5" lift, Front/Rear ARB Air Lockers, Dana 30/Dana 44 axles with alloy shafts, 4.56 gears, Weld in Roll Cage, 35x12.50 Cooper Discoverer Tires
bdub1285 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-22-2013, 09:27 PM   #11
joe108
Registered User
2003 TJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: valley center, ca
Posts: 802
I would go with the Rubi, its ready to go with the lockers and lift. The kind of driving you are describing is like my Rubi, it's a garage queen when not wheeling, the JK you may want to do up grades to lockers, etc. which will cost you $.
joe108 is offline   Reply With Quote




Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.