2007 JK or 2004 Rubicon? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > Wrangler General Discussion > 2007 JK or 2004 Rubicon?

All Bilstein shocks & struts - Lowest Prices Ever and Santa Kolak Announces: Kolak Exhaust 20% Off Sale!Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed Line

Unread 05-14-2013, 07:49 AM   #1
jrbrannan
2003 TJ Wrangler 

2007 JK or 2004 Rubicon?

So it maybe close to me jumping back into the Jeep world again . I am currently looking between two Jeeps, 2007 JK 2door, 2003 Rubicon. Both have around 55k miles, both have automatics and soft tops. The JK has a 2" lift and 33" tires the Rubicon has a 4" lift and 35" tires. This will be a secondary car for me that I will drive on nice days, the weekends, and take on the trail maybe 5-8 times a year. The JK is running about $2500 more, thoughts? I was leaning towards the Rubicon simply because I think it will hold it's value better but I am interested to hear what others think..

jrbrannan is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-14-2013, 09:44 AM   #2
dualtjs
2011 JK Wrangler 

Rubi. D44's with locking diffs make it more capable off road. The 3.8L engine isn't really an "upgrade" over the 4.0L. Take the extra $2,500 and use it for sye and other upgrades.

edit: use the cash that you save for a regear (which both will need, if it hasn't been done already).
dualtjs is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-14-2013, 10:02 AM   #3
jrbrannan
2003 TJ Wrangler 

The Rubicon has the 241 which does not need a SYE if I remember correctly. I know the axles and the lockers are better on the Rubicon, as is the engine if nothing else as a work horse that should give me a TON of miles problem free. I guess I am trying to see the comfort factor of the JK vs the upgrades on the Rubicon TJ, as well as the value down the road seeing as I hope to buy a 4 door Rubicon when the next gen Wranglers come out.
Unread 05-14-2013, 11:09 AM   #4
tyvanwie
1998 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by dualtjs
Rubi. D44's with locking diffs make it more capable off road. The 3.8L engine isn't really an "upgrade" over the 4.0L. Take the extra $2,500 and use it for sye and other upgrades.

edit: use the cash that you save for a regear (which both will need, if it hasn't been done already).
This.

Sent from my iForum using JeepPhone

I'm pretty sure I know what I'm talking about. I think...
tyvanwie is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-14-2013, 12:09 PM   #5
TJDaveX
Motorized Toy Collector

2004 TJ Wrangler 

There is a chance, although slight, that the 2007 JK could have a D35 in the rear.
Even if it does have the D44 rear, unless it is also a Rubicon, it will have a D30 up front. All my friends with JK D30's have had problems with theirs. They don't seem to hold together as well as a TJ D30 with large tires.

I would get the TJ Rubicon. But, I'm biased also.
TJDaveX is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-14-2013, 12:24 PM   #6
jrbrannan
2003 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by TJDaveX View Post
There is a chance, although slight, that the 2007 JK could have a D35 in the rear.
Even if it does have the D44 rear, unless it is also a Rubicon, it will have a D30 up front. All my friends with JK D30's have had problems with theirs. They don't seem to hold together as well as a TJ D30 with large tires.

I would get the TJ Rubicon. But, I'm biased also.
This is the way I am leaning as well. Even though I am big guy (6'8" 225) the idea of the smaller and more simple TJ is a huge advantage. I like the JK's but they just seem almost too big, probably in the way a TJ seems too big to the people who own the old CJ-2's.
Unread 05-14-2013, 12:26 PM   #7
tyvanwie
1998 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by jrbrannan

This is the way I am leaning as well. Even though I am big guy (6'8" 225) the idea of the smaller and more simple TJ is a huge advantage. I like the JK's but they just seem almost too big, probably in the way a TJ seems too big to the people who own the old CJ-2's.
Having owned an 08 JKU and my 98 TJ now, I don't recall the JKU having any noticeable headroom.

Unread 05-14-2013, 12:32 PM   #8
jrbrannan
2003 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by tyvanwie View Post
Having owned an 08 JKU and my 98 TJ now, I don't recall the JKU having any noticeable headroom.

I owned a 08 JKU as well, and honestly my head rested right against the roll bar at times, if I were to have gotten into an accident it would have not been pretty.
Unread 05-14-2013, 12:35 PM   #9
tyvanwie
1998 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by jrbrannan

I owned a 08 JKU as well, and honestly my head rested right against the roll bar at times, if I were to have gotten into an accident it would have not been pretty.
Damn. Yeah I'm only 6' so you'd be able to tell a difference.

Unread 05-15-2013, 11:26 AM   #10
bdub1285
2001 TJ Wrangler 

Definitely go with a Rubicon. Better engine, axles, lockers, transfer case...
Unread 05-22-2013, 10:27 PM   #11
joe108
2003 TJ Wrangler 

I would go with the Rubi, its ready to go with the lockers and lift. The kind of driving you are describing is like my Rubi, it's a garage queen when not wheeling, the JK you may want to do up grades to lockers, etc. which will cost you $.
joe108 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.