2006 TJ Body / Instrument Panel / COVER, Steering Column Opening/Removal
WARNING: Disable the airbag system before attempting any steering wheel, steering column, or instrument panel component diagnosis or service. Disconnect and isolate the negative battery (ground) cable, then wait two minutes for the airbag system capacitor to discharge before performing further diagnosis or service. This is the only sure way to disable the airbag system. Failure to follow these instructions may result in accidental airbag deployment and possible serious or fatal injury.
1. Disconnect and isolate the battery negative cable.
2. If the vehicle is so equipped, move the tilt steering column to the fully raised position.
3. Remove the two screws that secure the steering column opening cover to the instrument panel structural support Figure 1.
4. Using a trim stick or another suitable wide flat-bladed tool, gently pry the top of the steering column opening cover away from the instrument panel on each side of the steering column far enough to disengage the two snap clip retainers from their receptacles in the instrument panel base trim.
5. If the vehicle is so equipped, roll the top of the steering column opening cover downward far enough to access and disconnect the wire harness connector for the headlamp leveling switch from the switch connector receptacle.
6. Pull the top of the steering column opening cover rearward far enough to disengage the hinge hook formations on the lower edge of the cover from the hinge pins on the lower edge of the instrument panel.
7. Remove the steering column opening cover from the instrument panel.
Figure 1 - STEERING COLUMN OPENING COVER REMOVE/INSTALL
1 - WIRE HARNESS CONNECTOR
2 - STEERING COLUMN OPENING COVER
3 - HEADLAMP LEVELING SWITCH
4 - SCREW (2)
Social Care Specialist
FIAT Chrysler Automobiles