2005 Wrangler Rubicon...need some advice - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > Wrangler General Discussion > 2005 Wrangler Rubicon...need some advice

FS: Jeep Fog Light LED Bulbs! Several Brightness Options! Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineOld Man Emu WK Lift - Black Friday Special!!

Unread 02-17-2009, 08:56 AM   #1
TheCiscoKid
2005 TJ Wrangler 

2005 Wrangler Rubicon...need some advice (Pics added!)

Greetings folks,

Brand new to the forums. I'm currently in the process of searching for a new Jeep. I'm on my third Cherokee now. This past weekend I stumbled across a 2005 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon with a standard package, certified, manual, 31K miles and brand new tires for about $16,989.00. I test drove it and absolutely loved the ride. The transmission seemed to be in very good shape and it shifted with ease.

I guess I'm just looking for some advice on this vehicle and what else I should expect. Is this a fair price? How have the 2005 Rubicon’s held up? My understanding is that they have the older 4.0L 6 Cylinder engine, which is much better than the newer models? 31K miles for a 2005 seems pretty good too.

Thanks!

Last edited by TheCiscoKid; 02-20-2009 at 09:05 AM..
TheCiscoKid is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-17-2009, 09:03 AM   #2
grogie
M-F: Cell Block #4533

2006 TJ Wrangler 

Sounds like a decent price considering it sounds to be in perfect shape and it's just a 2005. You might do a search in your area for other Rubi's for sale that you can use when talking dollars. And yes it has the 4.0L which is great.

I have to say, if I was looking for a used Jeep, a TJ Rubi would be on the top of my list. Good choice!

Red Jeep Club #345
2006 TJ Sport
2004 KJ Limited
2013 Off-Road Trailer

grogie is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-17-2009, 09:14 AM   #3
41deuce
2001 TJ Wrangler 

Can't go wrong with the Rubicon if everything checks out.

The price reflects the fair market value if it's in good shape. I have a 2006 Rubicon, soft top, 1/2 doors, manual trans, and 34k miles that were asking $17.9 for. I'm in Texas so it's a bit of different market than CT, but $16K-ish sounds about right. Just be sure should to check it really well for rust, and engage the 4wd system.

Good luck
Unread 02-17-2009, 10:02 AM   #4
TheCiscoKid
2005 TJ Wrangler 

Thanks for the replies. I know they had it listed for $17.9k recently, but just couldn't move it. Lowering it to $16.9k puts it in my comfortable price range. I'll be trading in my 99' Cherokee so that will help as well.

Ah, good point about the 4WD. I'll make sure I check that out when I drive it again. It's very comforting knowing that it comes with the 8yr/80k certified package. It covers the 4-wheeled-drive.

Where are the places where rust is of the most concern? I just want to make sure I'm looking in the right places.

Last edited by TheCiscoKid; 02-17-2009 at 01:13 PM..
Unread 02-17-2009, 02:28 PM   #5
TheCiscoKid
2005 TJ Wrangler 

Any other thoughts? I'm on the verge of making the final decision on this. I commute about an average of 10 to 12 miles a day, so I'm not too concerned about the MPGs right now. I'm getting a ton of push back from the girlfriend...she hates the idea of a manual Jeep. She can't drive manual, believes this isn't a practical purchase and hates the way it rides lol! I think I'm looking for just a bit more encouragement from the Jeep enthusiasts here. So please feel free to give me a push here. I need it!
Unread 02-17-2009, 03:05 PM   #6
jackbauersmom
2006 LJ Wrangler 

just buy it. then you can teach your gf how to drive manuals. i bought my 06 rubicon lj, same miles, for 17k. seems like an ok deal to me.

indyORV
treadlightly
jackbauersmom is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-17-2009, 05:14 PM   #7
Zeep
2005 LJ Wrangler 

Go for it!! Bought my '05 Rubi unlimited just over a year ago, and I love it!!!!
8400 miles, $19,400 out the door. No regrets ever.
Unread 02-17-2009, 05:34 PM   #8
TheCiscoKid
2005 TJ Wrangler 

Ok it's done!!! I called back a few moments ago to finalize everything and they surprised the heck out of me by taking off another $1000! I'm now getting the 05' Rubi for $15.9k, not including the cash I'm putting down and my trade in. This is a friggen awesome deal!

Thanks folks for the support for a noob Wrangler owner! I'll post some pics once I pick it up later this week.

I'm off to pick up some flowers to hopefully lesson the blow from the girlfriend lol.
Unread 02-17-2009, 05:40 PM   #9
J_Thack
2006 TJ Wrangler 

Buy it, but keep the Cherokee if you can also. You'll miss it and get pissed everytime you go to the store and don't have room for anything.
Unread 02-17-2009, 05:54 PM   #10
TheCiscoKid
2005 TJ Wrangler 

I had considered that, but I needed it to help bring down the monthly payments. We've got an 07' Passat that's got plenty of room .
Unread 02-17-2009, 06:01 PM   #11
J_Thack
2006 TJ Wrangler 

Word, now go get your Jeep
Unread 02-18-2009, 11:51 AM   #12
orange_rubi
2005 LJ Wrangler 

sounds like a good deal to me - i got an 05 rubi unlimited here in az with 21k miles back in july for $19.6 - that was before the economy "really" took a hit.

'81 cj-5 - being restored w/ dad - keeping the 151
orange_rubi is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-19-2009, 06:38 AM   #13
TheCiscoKid
2005 TJ Wrangler 

I've got my $ in hand and will be picking up the 05' Rubi this Saturday! I’m so friggen anxious it's ridiculous . I've wanted a Jeep since I was 16, so for 14 years and five automobiles later (87’ Mitsubishi Montero, 3 x Cherokees and a Honda Civic) I'm finally getting one!!!
Unread 02-19-2009, 08:55 AM   #14
Ron83CJ
2006 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheCiscoKid View Post
I had considered that, but I needed it to help bring down the monthly payments. We've got an 07' Passat that's got plenty of room .
Just remeber for every thousand dollars they give you lowers your note 20 bucks on a 5 year loan give or take. It may not me worth tradeing in if they try and steal it from you.
Ron83CJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-19-2009, 09:05 AM   #15
Xander

listen to the rest of these people. i have an '04 that I got for ~$17K last year. It had 32K on it, but it was purchased in the same county as Chicago and prices are a little inflated there . But I LOVE my Jeep. It is VERY capable as is if you plan on wheeling. You can get some discos and an engine skid and you are SET to wheel.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.