2005 PCM failure at 36K - warranty covered? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > Wrangler General Discussion > 2005 PCM failure at 36K - warranty covered?

Rough Country Deals at JeepHut.comSave at JeepHut on Smittybilt Soft topsUp to $75 Cash Back on Your ARB Fridge Freezer Purchase

Unread 05-26-2011, 03:01 PM   #1
warcloudwells

2005 PCM failure at 36K - warranty covered?

A quick search just revealed that this is a rare failure, but it's what the local dealer diagnosed after a total flameout/shutdown on city streets last week.

My first thought was a fuel pump failure, but the knowledgable tow truck driver noticed the MIL flashing during cranking. It was a serious failure. While waiting for the tow, I checked all the fuses and was very relieved that I was not out in the rugged AZ wilderness with this fatal problem.

Some background is that my MIL illuminated a few times earlier this year with a code indicating the fuel evap system. I've no idea if related, but it's in the history of an otherwise good-running and reliable TJ.

The good news? Service advisor sez its warranty covered (wife took the message), but honestly I'm afraid to even call him to discuss why they're covering. I'll wait for the pickup call; est one week. They do not stock these parts. He said I'm liable for only the $80 initial diagnostic fee.

I'm advised that all vehicles must appropriately maintain their emissions systems well after (50K miles?) the slim factory warranty. Or perhaps, being slightly under 36K (but six years old), they are just being nice to me (huh?). I'm still scared to go pick up the girl when they call me. PCM/ECUs cost well over $1K, I know having a '98 GC with a failure a few years ago.

Anyone know the actual factory rules?

I'll repost the actual results when they happen in the next few days.

Again, feeling so lucky it happened in town, rather than jammed between rocks in the middle of nowhere.

Nervous; Warcloudwells

warcloudwells is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-26-2011, 05:29 PM   #2
rockrunner
2005 LJ Wrangler 

pcm's can be covered under a chrylser vehicle's 8yr/80,000mile federal emissions warranty

also included in 8/80 are cats
2005 Black LJ 4.0/ Rough Country 4" X-series/35" BFG KM2s/Flat Fendered/Cragar 342 15X8/Herculined/Rusty’s Engine Skid/Edge Trail Jammer/Banks Monster Exhaust/Crown SS Brake lines/JKS Quicker Disco’s/BestTop Bikini Top/LoD Xtreme Duty Bumper w/TC/PSC Rocker Knockers/Riddler Diff Covers
Dana 30/44 4.88's and Detroits F&R Chrome won't get you home
2003 Patriot Blue KJ/ 235/70R16 BFG A/T's/Boiler 3/8in Strut Spacers/K&N DropIn/FM 50
rockrunner is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-26-2011, 05:47 PM   #3
TJJP77
2002 TJ Wrangler 

If it is covered under the 8/80 emissions warranty, the diagnostic charge should be too.
Sienna Jeep Club: Member #15
TJJP77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-30-2011, 08:05 AM   #4
warcloudwells

Yes, dealer did replace PCM computer and cover the diagnostics under warranty. Failure mode was an "internal short". Zero dollars. Only cost to me was not driving it for a week....so, a net savings!

Of course, they tried to sell me about $500 worth of decarboning and tuning, I'll take care of that myself. Not surprisingly, she runs exactly the same as before.
warcloudwells is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-26-2013, 03:10 PM   #5
carpe_jeep
2006 TJ Wrangler 

My mechanic is talking to the local Jeep dealership to find out if it's covered under the 80K emissions warranty. Crossing my fingers that it is covered.
carpe_jeep is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.