2003 Wrangler Sahara 117,000 Miles Buy?? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > Wrangler General Discussion > 2003 Wrangler Sahara 117,000 Miles Buy??

TeraFlex Now at Rockridge 4WD! BEST DEALS around!Alloy usa heavy duty ball joint kitsENGO QUADLUX 6" to 54" LED AMBER AND WHITE MULTI

Unread 08-07-2012, 11:02 PM   #1
RoFo2016
2006 TJ Wrangler 

2003 Wrangler Sahara 117,000 Miles Buy??

I am considering purchasing a 2003 Wrangler Sahara in very nice original condition for $14,000. It has a 4.0 straight six and automatic transmission. I am hesitant to purchase because it has 117,000 miles and also maybe the price is too high? How many miles is the 4.0 engine reliable before it needs rebuilt or has other problems such as water pumps needing replaced, etc? Any automatic transmission issues with this many miles? Anything else I should worry about with this Jeep? It has zero rust. What are your opinions?
Here is a link to look at the Wrangler:
http://www.hbchryslerdodgejeepram.co...6679790532.htm

RoFo2016 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-08-2012, 06:57 AM   #2
GRYDE001
2008 JK Wrangler 

Way to much in my opinion. I just picked up a JKU 2008 with only 16k miles for only a few thousands more.
Unread 08-08-2012, 07:15 AM   #3
gonwhln
2007 JK Wrangler 

Wow! Does it have gold rims....

Way too high bro

Sent from my Eris using JeepForum
Evo rear King Coilovers, Recon front King Coilovers, Rock Krawler all 8 control arms & links, CV driveshafts, removed rear sway bar, Custom skids, Viair OBA with dual compressors mounted behind tailights & 2gal tank, Warn M8000, Body Armor rear bumper and carrier w/custom rotopax, front Poison Spyder Brawler lite bumper, Herculined tub, Cobra 75wx cb, daystar switch panel, Hella lights, custom cut fenders, 17" black alloys w/ 35" treadwright Guard dogs, Gusseted and regeared to 5.13's, Teraflex drag link flip, cut and dieted, Benchmark HD oil pan, RK deep sump HD tranny pan.
gonwhln is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-08-2012, 07:27 AM   #4
biffgnar
Web Wheeler

2006 TJ Wrangler 

117k is nothing for the 4.0 as long as well maintained. Little things may come up like the water pump you mention, but not hard to address. The 42RLE transmission is not the greatest. Offroad does fine (helps to overfill ATF a little), but onroad is quirky. Steep OD and less than ideal shift points (its in a hurry to get to OD). Likely all driven by MPG requirements. There are some that have had trouble with them going out early also, although that hasn't been an issue for me (124K on an 06 so far).

Which rear axle does it have? Saharas can have either a D35 or a D44. D44 much preferred.
Unread 08-08-2012, 08:48 AM   #5
RoFo2016
2006 TJ Wrangler 

Thanks for the opinions. I will find out if the dealer will come down in price. I don't know which rear axle it has. I have not done the research to find out how to tell the difference between a D35 or D44.
Unread 08-08-2012, 09:00 AM   #6
biffgnar
Web Wheeler

2006 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by RoFo2016 View Post
Thanks for the opinions. I will find out if the dealer will come down in price. I don't know which rear axle it has. I have not done the research to find out how to tell the difference between a D35 or D44.
They look very different. Photos here: http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f9/st...1/#post4118396
Unread 08-08-2012, 09:03 AM   #7
mmmhoss
2012 JK Wrangler 

Last year I sold a 2005 TJ with 85,000 miles, in newish condition, for $14,000. Did I sell it to cheap?
Unread 08-08-2012, 02:01 PM   #8
jeepjerryp7m8
1982 CJ8 

Way to high. 11K Maybe. Nothing inhearantly wrong with the jeep or the miles, just the dealer trying to hit a home run off of you. I like the base price and a sale price listed at 14K, makes you think they already took 1200 off so you will be less inclined to haggle. "It's already on sale".
Offer them 10,500 don't fall in love, and be ready to walk at any minute. Lots more fish in the sea.
Jerry
jeepjerryp7m8 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-08-2012, 04:43 PM   #9
emsmedic31
2006 TJ Wrangler 

I bought my 06 TJ Sport 4.0, 6 spd manual with 60K miles on it for $16K I believe the dealer is asking way to much for the one your looking at
emsmedic31 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-08-2012, 10:05 PM   #10
RoFo2016
2006 TJ Wrangler 

Today I went and looked the Wrangler and test drove it. It was way nicer looking on the internet pictures than in person. There were numerous sratches on the top and sides. There was a large chunk of plastic broke out of the drivers door rear view mirror. Both lights that were supposed to be mounted on the front bumper were missing. The mounts were still there but the plastic was broke off at the base of each light. The wires were hanging there. I asked the salesman is there supposed to be lights on the front bumper? His response "If you mount them". What a smart ***. His manager was even more of a smart *** jerk. The Wrangler drove OK. It is worth much less money than what they are asking. I did not bother haggling with the price because I did not like this Wrangler and the sales manager was an ***. I will keep looking for another Wrangler.
Unread 08-09-2012, 02:11 AM   #11
Marcus86GLHS

good decision. that is a 10K jeep, max. i paid 14K for my 2002 but it is in mint original condition with brand new goodyear tires.

2002 Wrangler Sahara, black, 4.0L, 5-speed, Dana 44 rear axle with Trac Loc LSD, duel tan tops, Canyon wheels with Wrangler Silent Armors. 75,000 miles, 2nd owner.
Marcus86GLHS is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.