19 years old and I'm really, REALLY interested in a Wrangler as my first car. - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > Wrangler General Discussion > 19 years old and I'm really, REALLY interested in a Wrangler as my first car.

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineFS: Jeep Fog Light LED Bulbs! Several Brightness Options! Clayton Off Road JK Short Arm Suspension Kits

Unread 06-08-2014, 02:05 AM   #1
Doomblade94

19 years old and I'm really, REALLY interested in a Wrangler as my first car.

Well. I decided since I'm getting a job soon and that I'm going to be saving up for a car, I might as well start making up my mind on what would be the best idea for me. I don't want to spend thousands and thousands of dollars on this thing just to make it work (that much for extra things I want is a different matter), however not only am I fully aware that J.E.E.P. stands for Just Empty Every Pocket, I also know extensively how simple the fixes and cheap the parts for Jeeps generally are because my brother is 17 and he owns a Comanche Pioneer and I believe he'd take a bullet for his truck. I want something to be proud of, have a hell of a lot of fun driving, and all around just have what I want. GETTING TO THE POINT NOW, ahem, I just would like everyone's opinions on what year I should get and also just advice and help in general as far getting myself a used Jeep Wrangler, preferably a 2001 or earlier TJ. Thanks in advance for everyone that reads this and a special thanks to everyone that replies to this. Over and Out.

Doomblade94 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-08-2014, 07:01 AM   #2
JBTJ
JEEPer For Life

2001 TJ Wrangler 

Though it wasn't my first, I bought my first new JEEP when I was 19, a 1980 CJ7, still have it too. I hear people saying what JEEP stands for but that's only for mods if you want to. I have driven only JEEPS every single day of my life for the past 34 years. In 1993 I bought an YJ, still have that one to, and again in 2001 got a TJ. Compared to other people I know these JEEPs have been more reliable and cost much less to keep up than any other. So in my opinion, they made great DD's. You need to decide if you want auto, or manual. I prefer auto and with that said 2002 or older would be best as in 2003 they came out with the 42RLE 4 speed auto which seem to have problems. But other than that, the 6 cylinder with the D44 rear end geared with 3.73 gears is the best place to start.
JBTJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-08-2014, 07:37 AM   #3
biffgnar
Web Wheeler

2006 TJ Wrangler 

XJ will make a better first car. Cheaper to purchase. Safer and easier to drive. Similarly simple to work on. Maybe a touch better gas mileage.
Unread 06-08-2014, 09:26 AM   #4
chevy2169
2006 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by biffgnar
XJ will make a better first car. Cheaper to purchase. Safer and easier to drive. Similarly simple to work on. Maybe a touch better gas mileage.
Agreed. My first vehicle was an xj. Dirt simple to work on, parts are just as inexpensive, handles better, has four doors, has a full size trunk. Much better first vehicle for someone who is going to school or just starting out IMO.
They are also less expensive, however they are getting hard to come by in good condition.

If you are bent on getting a wrangler though, look for a stock one in decent shape. Either a yj or a TJ would be fine for daily driving. As stated before, going down the mod road is what kills your pocket. If you leave it stock, it'll be a great reliable vehicle for you.
Followed by millions of dumbfounded dipsh**s.
chevy2169 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-08-2014, 02:43 PM   #5
1320yj

You also should consider a MJ , just like a XJ but way cooler. All the XJ parts fit and you will eventually have a collectors item.
Unread 06-08-2014, 05:54 PM   #6
Trespasser
1999 TJ Wrangler 

Chicks dig wranglers, not XJs...
Trespasser is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-08-2014, 06:20 PM   #7
VLoven
2014 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trespasser
Chicks dig wranglers, not XJs...
Lol is that the reason you want a Jeep...to pick up chicks?
VLoven is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-08-2014, 06:37 PM   #8
grogie
M-F: Cell Block #4533

2006 TJ Wrangler 

I think a TJ would be a fun first vehicle, especially if you can learn to work on it. I'd look for one that has limited rust, a rear Dana 44, and as unmolested as possible. You can then modify it to your liking. They are fun to own.

The mpg is lousy but I guess that just depends on how much you drive and your wallet? My first car was a used and abused sports car with similar mpg. I put plenty of money in it to keep it running and I loved the car and I drove it a lot. Chicks dug it. But back then a five dollar bill would get me four gallons of gas (which is how I often bought gas).

However, if school and work require a lot of driving, you might consider a better mpg option. Plus, consider that your first car will not be a car you'll keep. My first car was long ago junked. I do miss the car to this day, but I would have never had the money to actually keep it and restore it as life just had other expenses. Eventually one just wants a brand new vehicle that you can drive across town without any worries. As said... depends on your wallet.

Good luck with your search.

Red Jeep Club #345
2006 TJ Sport
2004 KJ Limited
2013 Off-Road Trailer

grogie is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-08-2014, 09:19 PM   #9
billiebob
2005 TJ Wrangler 

My first Jeep was my first car too. In '75 I bought a '52 M38A1. Loved it. It ran underwater. We crossed Whitemud Creek with the windshield down. 2 heads, the snorkel & exhaust extension making waves. But my 19 year old budget quickly ran short of keeping it running.

If your budget says JK get a 2012 or newer with the 3.6L. Next choice, maybe first choice, a TJ Rubicon. Or any other TJ with the 3.73 ratio. 3.73 means it either has a trailer towing option or the big tire option. Finally.... nothing wrong with a 4 cylinder SE... I think you could get an SE with a 4.56 ratio. Maybe the best buy of all for a college student.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.