13 or not - JeepForum.com

 
LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 14 Old 11-04-2012, 06:43 AM Thread Starter
bluerockymtn
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Sarasota
Posts: 201
13 or not

Ive been thinking about trading my 11 2 door sport 6 speed in for a 13 2 door rubicon 6 speed. I want the new engine and the 4.10s. Currently running 33s and have the 3.73s but want to lift 2 inches and go 35s. With the current jeep thats gonna require a regear but think with the 13 it would be fine without regearing. Is there logic to this or am i just talking myself into a new jeep? Thoughts would be appreciated

bluerockymtn is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 14 Old 11-04-2012, 06:56 AM
fitzz47
Registered User
2013 JK Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Location: Wilmington
Posts: 452
get the new jeep!

2015 GC Attitude Black
2015 Wrangler Sahara Hydro Blue
fitzz47 is offline  
post #3 of 14 Old 11-04-2012, 08:43 AM
bill9274
Registered User
2011 JK Wrangler 
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: paris
Posts: 248
get the auto with the new jeep or you will still be looking at a regear.

Bill
bill9274 is offline  
post #4 of 14 Old 11-04-2012, 08:51 AM
paul84043
Registered User
2012 JK Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Posts: 2,770
Quote:
Originally Posted by bill9274 View Post
get the auto with the new jeep or you will still be looking at a regear.

Bill
The standard with the pentastar still does great with 3:73's on 35's. No problems at all, plenty of power..
In fact, if you get the Rubicon with the auto, you need to be sure to get the 4:10 option, otherwise you will still get 3:73's.

**
Make a man a fire and you keep him warm for a day....Set a man on fire and you keep him warm for the rest of his life....
**
paul84043 is offline  
post #5 of 14 Old 11-04-2012, 09:07 AM
brianjw
Registered User
2012 JK Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Hillsboro
Posts: 1,366
I wouldn't want to run 35s on 3.73s personally, but it isn't bad with 4.10s on the 3.6l and six speed. I may regear down the road but it really isn't needed. I've piles the jeep with four people, a week of camping gear, hitch rack with 62qt cooler etc and driving it through the mountains in the summer and had no problem keeping up with/passing traffic.

A new jeep is going to cost more than re-gearing but if you want one, go for it. It'll be ok with 4.10s and 35s.
brianjw is offline  
post #6 of 14 Old 11-04-2012, 09:17 AM
NYTrailrider
Registered User
1988 MJ Comanche 
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: St. Petersburg
Posts: 331
The bartender at my restaurant is having the same issue. He wants a brand new- off the lot 2013. He doesnt own one now. I ask him why, he says (in his drinking and smoking all his life voice) "I just want to drive one!" I say if your just looking to drive a Jeep, why not go back 5 years or 10 and save $30,000. It not like he wants the new engine or knows **** about it. He just wants a Jeep. So I find a modded one that will do anything you want it to do, for $10,000. He says (in his drinking and smoking all his life voice) "what do I need all that for" I say " so you wouldn't need any of that?" He says no. I say what the hell do you want a Jeep for then? He says cause it looks good. That's all well and good, but if you are going to piss and fawn over it and jump blindly and not listen to someone who has a BIT more knowledge about it, than I don't want you in my camp, bub.

So what are the benefits of going 2001 to 2013? Any? 1-2 mpg? You will increase you loan payments, and tack the 2 years you just paid off back on. I don't get it. Can't you be happy with what you have? Do you HAVE to get the BRAND new one? For swag purposes? Otherwise your decision doesn't make much sense.

Is your reason swag?

88 Comanche AX15/NP231 swap. Zone 4.5" lift Future-Dana 44s, lockers, 36" tires, 4BT swap
NYTrailrider is offline  
post #7 of 14 Old 11-04-2012, 09:44 AM
paul84043
Registered User
2012 JK Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Posts: 2,770
95% of all the Jeeps sold here in Utah are to soccer moms "because they look good". It's still half the price of a Hummer. (thank god that monstrosity died on the vine)
23k is not bad for a new Jeep. You can't find anything more than a beat to hell rust bucket here for 10k. More like 15 to 18k.
It's his money, let him stimulate the economy...

**
Make a man a fire and you keep him warm for a day....Set a man on fire and you keep him warm for the rest of his life....
**
paul84043 is offline  
post #8 of 14 Old 11-04-2012, 11:14 AM
KYgreenYJ
Registered User
2012 JK Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Location: Clovistan
Posts: 432
Quote:
Originally Posted by NYTrailrider
The bartender at my restaurant is having the same issue. He wants a brand new- off the lot 2013. He doesnt own one now. I ask him why, he says (in his drinking and smoking all his life voice) "I just want to drive one!" I say if your just looking to drive a Jeep, why not go back 5 years or 10 and save $30,000. It not like he wants the new engine or knows **** about it. He just wants a Jeep. So I find a modded one that will do anything you want it to do, for $10,000. He says (in his drinking and smoking all his life voice) "what do I need all that for" I say " so you wouldn't need any of that?" He says no. I say what the hell do you want a Jeep for then? He says cause it looks good. That's all well and good, but if you are going to piss and fawn over it and jump blindly and not listen to someone who has a BIT more knowledge about it, than I don't want you in my camp, bub.

So what are the benefits of going 2001 to 2013? Any? 1-2 mpg? You will increase you loan payments, and tack the 2 years you just paid off back on. I don't get it. Can't you be happy with what you have? Do you HAVE to get the BRAND new one? For swag purposes? Otherwise your decision doesn't make much sense.

Is your reason swag?

He'd be getting a new engine, probably lower gears to handle 35" tires. Also selectable lockers front and rear, a slightly stronger front axle, and 4:1 t-case. I'd say go for it if you can afford it.

Black 2012 JKUR 2.5" Rock Krawler Max Travel suspension with Bilstein 5100's, 35X12.5R15 MTRK's on MB Ultras, Sleeved and gusseted front axle with Synergy balljoints, JCR bumpers F/R

Old Jeep, SOLD:
94 Green YJ SE 4.0L 5spd
3.5" BDS lift, 1"MML/BL, Revolvers, SYE/CV, no track bars or sway bars, MORE sport cage
Green Jeep Club Member #20
KYgreenYJ is offline  
post #9 of 14 Old 11-04-2012, 11:49 AM
NYTrailrider
Registered User
1988 MJ Comanche 
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: St. Petersburg
Posts: 331
Quote:
Originally Posted by KYgreenYJ View Post
He'd be getting a new engine, probably lower gears to handle 35" tires. Also selectable lockers front and rear, a slightly stronger front axle, and 4:1 t-case. I'd say go for it if you can afford it.
I see. Would it cost more to buy these items for the Jeep he has, or to get the new Jeep?

88 Comanche AX15/NP231 swap. Zone 4.5" lift Future-Dana 44s, lockers, 36" tires, 4BT swap
NYTrailrider is offline  
post #10 of 14 Old 11-04-2012, 12:22 PM
paul84043
Registered User
2012 JK Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Posts: 2,770
Quote:
Originally Posted by KYgreenYJ View Post
He'd be getting a new engine, probably lower gears to handle 35" tires. Also selectable lockers front and rear, a slightly stronger front axle, and 4:1 t-case. I'd say go for it if you can afford it.
Lockers, better front axle and 4:1's only if he forks out the 36k (ish) for a Rubicon.
If he just wants looks, he's far better off spending 24k for a sport and putting on a spacer lift and slightly larger tires.

**
Make a man a fire and you keep him warm for a day....Set a man on fire and you keep him warm for the rest of his life....
**
paul84043 is offline  
post #11 of 14 Old 11-04-2012, 12:53 PM
aztec_doc
Registered User
2013 JK Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Bay Area
Posts: 855
I enjoy these discussions. I just purchased a 2013 JKUR and planning on trading in my 2008 JKR. I will be paying the exact same price I did for my 2008 which is a 2 door for the price of a 4 door. Same options on both jeeps. Already heard great things about the new engines with the exception of the number 2 and 6 cylinder valves. But only occurs in a small percentage of vehicles. Im crossing my fingers. Oh yeah do it, you will be happy.

2008 JK Rubicon
aztec_doc is offline  
post #12 of 14 Old 11-04-2012, 01:27 PM
KYgreenYJ
Registered User
2012 JK Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Location: Clovistan
Posts: 432
Quote:
Originally Posted by paul84043

Lockers, better front axle and 4:1's only if he forks out the 36k (ish) for a Rubicon.
If he just wants looks, he's far better off spending 24k for a sport and putting on a spacer lift and slightly larger tires.
The OP said it was between keeping his 11 Sport, or getting a 13 Rubi. He already has a sport, that he'd want to rehear for 35" tires.

Black 2012 JKUR 2.5" Rock Krawler Max Travel suspension with Bilstein 5100's, 35X12.5R15 MTRK's on MB Ultras, Sleeved and gusseted front axle with Synergy balljoints, JCR bumpers F/R

Old Jeep, SOLD:
94 Green YJ SE 4.0L 5spd
3.5" BDS lift, 1"MML/BL, Revolvers, SYE/CV, no track bars or sway bars, MORE sport cage
Green Jeep Club Member #20
KYgreenYJ is offline  
post #13 of 14 Old 11-04-2012, 07:14 PM Thread Starter
bluerockymtn
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Sarasota
Posts: 201
I figure the money spent on regearing could be put towards the new rubi and then it wouldnt be a huge price difference as ive seen several 2dr rubis for 27-29 depending on options and in the process would be getting the new more powerful motor along with several other upgrades
bluerockymtn is offline  
post #14 of 14 Old 11-05-2012, 11:02 AM
paul84043
Registered User
2012 JK Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Posts: 2,770
Quote:
Originally Posted by KYgreenYJ View Post
The OP said it was between keeping his 11 Sport, or getting a 13 Rubi. He already has a sport, that he'd want to rehear for 35" tires.
I know, the conversation was kind of skewing towards buying for looks being a waste of money..
Buying Rubi for looks is definitely a waste of money, but it's still his money...

**
Make a man a fire and you keep him warm for a day....Set a man on fire and you keep him warm for the rest of his life....
**
paul84043 is offline  
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.



Email Address:
OR

Log-in









Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.




Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page



Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome