YJ, Commando, or Scrambler - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Jeep Forums > Jeep Buying Forum > YJ, Commando, or Scrambler

Premium LED Lighting by VISION X, Proudly sold at ROCKRIDGFS: Wrangler RGB Multicolor Fog Light LEDs: Awesome EffectCess Recovery Gear Snatch Tow Strap OffRoad @ ROCKRIDGE4WD

Unread 04-12-2014, 06:27 PM   #1
gtome

YJ, Commando, or Scrambler

So im super pissed because I missed out on a great deal on a 2000 TJ with a rusty frame this morning on Craigslist. But anyway....I am still on the lookout for a Jeep. There is a Commando down here with some minor driveline and brake issuses for $3200, a couple rough CJ8's around the $3500 mark, and a plethora of YJ's in the same price range. Looking for oppinions on what all of you would pick?

Now keep in mind im in Florida and no real wheeling here. I dont have much intrest in driving my Jeep in 4ft deep water either. So it will likely be a moderate build. I restore musclecars for a living, so the work is no big deal, but I really have never messed with 4X4 type stuff.

Or maybe I really should hold out a bit longer for a TJ?

I like the Commando and CJ8 because they are a little different. But the creature comforts (A/C, modern interiors) of the YJ/TJ hold some value to me too. I have a wife and daughter that *MAY* end up in it as well. Whats your take?

gtome is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-13-2014, 02:00 PM   #2
robtco99
2001 XJ Cherokee 

I would opt for a scrambler. The cj8's will be worth more money than a commando or yj any day, plus they are more sought after.
Unread 04-13-2014, 02:09 PM   #3
WDNewman
1989 YJ Wrangler 

First don't buy ANY Jeep with ANY rust. There is no "great deal" on a TJ with a rusty frame.

Find a complete and bone stock YJ with fuel injection. No Lift, no Goofy Mods. TJ is technically more advanced than a YJ. Better ride, more creature comforts. I like either. BUT you have to buy intelligently when buying a used Jeep. Read up on what to look for in these forums.
Unread 04-13-2014, 05:48 PM   #4
CJ7nvrstk
1985 CJ7 

Commando!
Unread 04-14-2014, 10:57 AM   #5
Adam013085

Buy the one with the least rust
Adam013085 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-14-2014, 03:57 PM   #6
gtome

I guess Im not afraid of rust because I fix it every day of the week. That rusty frame would have been an easy fix. They even make replacement pieces. EASY!! Plus it was fairly low miles and asking $2000. I could have found a replacement frame and still been money ahead.
Im thinking Scrambler. The Commando is cool because its different, but its not nearly as good looking as the others. And it has oddball stuff making it more difficult to mod.
But...the Scrambler that seems to be the best deal has a huge lift and 40" tires with plenty of room around them. Guess it wouldnt be that hard to undo a big lift. Max id want to go is 35's, and since I dont rock crawl, I wouldnt need a ton of lift on it for flex.
Unread 04-14-2014, 03:59 PM   #7
Adam013085

If it were me and $ was no option I'd go scrambler all day everyday. I wouldn't want to touch one that was on 40s though.
Adam013085 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-19-2014, 07:41 PM   #8
gtome

Well I went to buy it and it was gone. Go figure!

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.