YJ with 1,200 original miles - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Jeep Forums > Jeep Buying Forum > YJ with 1,200 original miles

Black Friday Sale!!FS: Jeep Fog Light LED Bulbs! Several Brightness Options! Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed Line

Unread 12-16-2013, 07:21 AM   #1
bjdean16
2009 JK Wrangler 

YJ with 1,200 original miles

I posted this in the General Wrangler section and was told I would probably get more feedback here.

Looking for a realistic market value on a 1995 Jeep YJ with 1,200 original miles. The jeep is in immaculate condition and has not been registered since it was originally purchased in 1995. The owner (acquaintance of mine for some time) drove the jeep periodically around his ranch and kept it stored in a garage since it was new. I have been trying to purchase this for some time but he hasn't wanted to part with it until recently as he wants the space back in his garage. I have seen a value of around $6,000 on KBB and NADA but I know that is low for this jeep. I know the YJ's are not as collectible as some other jeeps. My initial guess would be in the range of $8-$10K.

Only pic I currently have:

Your thoughts?

Thanks

v__f08e.jpg

Unread 12-16-2013, 07:28 AM   #2
bjdean16
2009 JK Wrangler 

Forgot to mention this one has the 4 banger and a 5 speed.
Unread 12-16-2013, 07:43 AM   #3
MrB
2006 TJ Wrangler 

I have no valuable input for you other than thats sweet. If I was looking for a yj. I'd be willing to give 10k for it.
MrB is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-16-2013, 08:09 AM   #4
jsawduste
Web Wheeler
2006 YJ Wrangler 

Collins Brothers can help you. They get vehicles like this more often then you would think.
http://www.collinsbrosjeep.com/main.htm

An example
1987 Jeep Wrangler Very Early build date 3/22/86 built in Canada Red/Factory Half Steel Doors/Black Soft Top/Black Vinyl Seats, 6 cyl., 5 spd., PS, PB, Factory AM/FM radio, side steps, rear bumperetts. This is the finest low mileage early YJ on the market and is the best example we have seen in over 10 years. 1-owner from new garage kept, meticulously maintained with 12,838 actual miles incredible collector quality Jeep. Original manuals, keys and invoices. $15,995.00

or a 2005 TJ with 1300 miles
jsawduste is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-16-2013, 08:17 AM   #5
bjdean16
2009 JK Wrangler 

[QUOTE=jsawduste;18581657]Collins Brothers can help you. They get vehicles like this more often then you would think.

Thanks for the link! I will contact them today.
Unread 12-16-2013, 09:26 AM   #6
Tylers88
2005 TJ Wrangler 

I think since it is a 4 banger 8-10 would be close, 6 cylinder I would say maybe a 1-1500 more, that's what I would be willing to pay anyway. What are your plans if you get it, just a stock cruiser?
Tylers88 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-16-2013, 09:30 AM   #7
bgredjeep
1987 YJ Wrangler 

Unless he has consistently cranked the Jeep up every month or so over the last 18 years I'd be worried about the condition of the motor, seals, fuel system, etc. Low mileage is great, but cars aren't made to just sit for years at a time. It looks great, but it certainly gets dinged for 4cyl. I wouldn't want it myself, but I wouldn't think much over kbb since it's not the more desirable drivetrain.
bgredjeep is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-16-2013, 09:34 AM   #8
jsawduste
Web Wheeler
2006 YJ Wrangler 

[quote=bjdean16;18581801]
Quote:
Originally Posted by jsawduste View Post
Collins Brothers can help you. They get vehicles like this more often then you would think.

Thanks for the link! I will contact them today.
Of course my 2% referral fee applies.
jsawduste is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-16-2013, 09:44 AM   #9
bjdean16
2009 JK Wrangler 

I want to get it back to complete factory stock. I think the rear bumper might have been changed (tube), not sure if they came that way or not. Current tires are definitely not stock. I will probably just keep it in the garage and cruise around on the weekends. Quite the dilemma though as I want to drive it and enjoy it but I almost feel like it should be in a jeep showroom or on display somewhere. Maybe it's not that rare or collectible, I don't really know. I really have never had a lot of interest in the YJ's. I've owned a CJ, TJ and currently drive a JK daily. I've never cared for the square headlights but this is so clean I have to have it.

Thinking maybe I could show it and drive it on the weekends....best of both worlds.
Unread 12-16-2013, 09:51 AM   #10
bjdean16
2009 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by bgredjeep View Post
Unless he has consistently cranked the Jeep up every month or so over the last 18 years I'd be worried about the condition of the motor, seals, fuel system, etc. Low mileage is great, but cars aren't made to just sit for years at a time. It looks great, but it certainly gets dinged for 4cyl. I wouldn't want it myself, but I wouldn't think much over kbb since it's not the more desirable drivetrain.
I runs great and it does get driven quite a bit but just short trips around the ranch.

The more feedback I am getting I am starting to agree with you. I am thinking around 6-7K would be fair. I am not looking to flip it and I will keep this jeep indefinitely. Sounds like that 4cyl is not that great of a motor? I've driven it around on his ranch and had no problems with it but have never been on the road with it.
Unread 12-16-2013, 11:07 AM   #11
Old4X
1990 CJ7 

If it had the 6 cyl, it would be worth some serious coin. The 4 cuts the value in half IMHO. (yes, I know some folks here like their 4 popper, but the majority of threads on that engine are about wanting more power).
Unread 12-17-2013, 02:03 PM   #12
JoonHoss
2011 JK Wrangler 

Did you delete the original thread where I responded?

Either way, I do not agree at all that 6-7K is a fair, 'realistic market' value, as well maintained older models can go for that or more. Even though it is a 4 cylinder (especially if kept stock), if the condition is that good and the miles are that low, it's worth a lot more.

I think it would be a screaming deal for you if you got it for 6-7k, but I don't actually think that's a fair price for the seller, again, for what it is.

Ironically, the value in it is all in the original condition with low mileage, not the model/package like any other collector-type vehicle. To keep that value, you really can't drive/mod it much, or all that 'value' goes away.

Hoss

Don't mind me, I'm just another FNG around here...
JoonHoss is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-18-2013, 08:51 AM   #13
bjdean16
2009 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoonHoss View Post
Did you delete the original thread where I responded?

Either way, I do not agree at all that 6-7K is a fair, 'realistic market' value, as well maintained older models can go for that or more. Even though it is a 4 cylinder (especially if kept stock), if the condition is that good and the miles are that low, it's worth a lot more.

I think it would be a screaming deal for you if you got it for 6-7k, but I don't actually think that's a fair price for the seller, again, for what it is.

Ironically, the value in it is all in the original condition with low mileage, not the model/package like any other collector-type vehicle. To keep that value, you really can't drive/mod it much, or all that 'value' goes away.

Hoss
Thanks for the response. Someone here prompted me to re-post in the YJ technical section to get more activity. The admin then deleted the original post and moved the duplicate post here.

I agree that you are correct in the collector value being higher than $6-$7K.

But I have come to the realization that you just posted....as I use the jeep the value is going to drop. I do plan on using it and not letting it sit and that is what I feel the owner wants as well. I am sure he could get more selling it to a collector but I don't think he is concerned with getting top dollar for it.

While I initially asked what the jeep would be worth, I have now decided what I am willing to pay for it based on what I plan to do with it...use it. I do however want to let him know what he could possibly get for it from the right buyer so that everything is know upfront and he doesn't feel I used him.

With that being said, what do you feel it is worth to the right collector. I personally don't see it ever selling for over 8-10K, as some others in this thread have agreed.

Again, thanks for your input and I do realize my initial post asked for the value so that I could propose that as the selling price, since then I have changed my mind about what it is really worth to me. If he decides that he wants to get top dollar, I will pass on this jeep with no hard feelings.

One other bit of info I found out from the ranch hand is that the jeep has 4,262 miles and the owner was incorrect about the 1,200 figure.
Unread 12-18-2013, 12:06 PM   #14
frorge
1993 YJ Wrangler 

If you do end up passing, would you mind letting me know? Either here or PM me. I'm currently in the hunt for a YJ as a DD. Assuming the jeep is in TX too....
frorge is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-18-2013, 09:08 PM   #15
JoonHoss
2011 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by bjdean16 View Post
...I do realize my initial post asked for the value so that I could propose that as the selling price, since then I have changed my mind about what it is really worth to me. If he decides that he wants to get top dollar, I will pass on this jeep with no hard feelings...
Thanks for clarifying. FWIW, I respect your position.

I think the actual value of that low mileage, last model year YJ is still realistically in the 10-12K range- especially to the right person.

If the owner wants to sell it to you and is happy to get 6K out of it, so be it. Do you know why he wants to sell it? (not like he wore it out)

The fact remains there are a lot of used, higher mileage YJ Jeeps- in good shape- listed for 6-8K on Craigslist all the time. Yes, some are lifted and equipped, but others are all stock/clean, and have much higher mileage. Yes I know you can get them for 3.5K all day long, but not in that condition, and not with that mileage. There are three here locally (ironically, all '95s) listed in my area today over 6K, one is 7.5k, and has 144K miles. I've watched the YJ's pretty close in the past year, as a buddy is looking for one. You are hard pressed to find a decent one with reasonable mileage for under 5K. Condition is key, as the newest YJ is now almost 20 yrs old!

The four cylinder is actually a great engine in the YJ, just not with the auto, or with huge tires (without regearing) (I've had three, a '91,a '93, and a '95- all 4 cyl 5 spds). They are very peppy with stock tires (or 30x9.5)

That said, I would never buy a Jeep like this for a premium, because I'd want to drive and modify it- which would kill the value.

Conversely, I would probably not keep a jeep like that , especially if I got it cheap, as I'd probably sell it for what it's truly worth, buy a nice driver Jeep, and pocket the cash. (or mod the S#!T out of it). It just wouldn't make sense to have that much value tied up in something, when there are so may others for so much less.

Good luck in whatever you decide- Keep us posted!

Regards

Hoss

Don't mind me, I'm just another FNG around here...
JoonHoss is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.