XJ or YJ??? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Jeep Forums > Jeep Buying Forum > XJ or YJ???

ROCK BOTTOM prices on LIFT KITS at Rockridge4wd!! WANT TO Alloy usa heavy duty ball joint kitsWe have FLASHLIGHTS! Great for your Emergency bag!

Unread 08-19-2011, 04:27 AM   #1
Tylerzap
1998 XJ Cherokee 

XJ or YJ???

I am looking for somthing i can buy for under 800 dollars. I can find them both under that price pretty easy. So I am not sure what i should get for a cheap build. I really like the coil springs on the XJ, but its easier to change axles in a YJ. The YJ is smaller, but the XJ is easier/cheaper to get parts for. YJ can go SOA for a cheap lift, but the XJ can go coil spacers and blocks.

So im torn. i can find non running YJs for 500 all day, and can find running XJs for 400 and 500. So im not sure which to get.

Thanks in advance!!!

Tylerzap is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-19-2011, 07:21 AM   #2
brownbagg
1930 MK Compass 

they are both trash so get what you think looks best
brownbagg is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-19-2011, 04:35 PM   #3
jeepyj13
1993 YJ Wrangler 

I own both yj and xj. If this is a stricly offroad rig either will be fine but if you planning on any driving get a xj.
Unread 08-20-2011, 12:24 AM   #4
Tylerzap
1998 XJ Cherokee 

It will be offroad and will only see pavement about 1ce a month if that. I found a XJ that runs and drives a hour and a half away, i really like it. but i really like the fact you can remove the doors and top in a yj and fold down the windsheild.

Whatever it is it is going to be Low Center Gravity
On the xj i would compleatly cut out the rear fenders and make new ones outta steel so i could fit 33's that i have sitting around.

On the yj i would go SOA, Remove the fenders, make tube or make rock crawler hood for fenders and cut the rear to fit 35's or it i can, 37's
Unread 08-20-2011, 08:03 AM   #5
Tylerzap
1998 XJ Cherokee 

Early Morning Bump!!!!! I want more opinions!
Unread 08-20-2011, 09:33 AM   #6
EasyE
2005 TJ Wrangler 

My 2 cents..
With a ladder frame on the YJ there are so many more options than the XJ unibody. YJ is also easier to build it into a crawler beast if it evolves into that.
Suspension mods and so on are way easier on the YJ.
And, if having a convertable top is desirable, its easy on the YJ.
How many passengers do you plan on having? Obviously the XJ has more room.
Bottom line is, a YJ is easier to mod and take seriously offroad. You can mod an XJ with a external cage, chop off the top, slap on 33's; and it will still never get the respect it deserves offroad.
I have seen some very cool XJ's and many Jeep people still refer to them as grocery getters!
The XJ people I have personally have wheeled with have small children strapped into the back seats.
That being said. I LOVE the classic 70's look of the XJ, and would love to have a bone stock 2000 model just to use around town as a daily driver.
EasyE is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-20-2011, 09:36 AM   #7
Jrama
2004 TJ Wrangler 

No doors or roof on a YJ makes it a better toy.
Jrama is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-20-2011, 10:02 AM   #8
Tylerzap
1998 XJ Cherokee 

Thanks for the opinions! keep em coming! is nobody going to stand up for the xj???

I would be only carrying 2 passangers if i am not by myself. i think i may just go for the yj if i can find one that has the 4.0 for cheap. i am not a fan of the 2.5. If i cant find a cheap YJ with the 4.0 soon (as the local trails are closing in a few months for winter), then ill just wait until spring, unless i find a nice XJ.

I just want some more opinions to make sure i get the one right for my needs, so far i am leaning very far torwards the YJ.

Thank you all for your opinions and hope to get more! especially you EasyE!!!
Unread 08-20-2011, 06:35 PM   #9
Tylerzap
1998 XJ Cherokee 

Evenving Bump
Unread 08-21-2011, 12:06 AM   #10
jeepyj13
1993 YJ Wrangler 

Back again haha i would say this arguably now some jeepers say when modded the xj can either hang with a modded wrangler or sometimes outwheel them cause a slight longer wheel base. Ive seen some bad*** xjs do some tough stuff on trails. Although the fact of taking doors and top off a wrangler puts it over the xj in the cool factor.
Unread 08-21-2011, 01:26 AM   #11
Tom95YJ
[] Eye'd Jeep Connoisseur

1999 XJ Cherokee 

After I had sold my TJ I had an XJ for about 6 months. I just didn't like it so I had sold it and Bought my YJ.

If its going to be a wheeler I'd go with a YJ for the fact that it has a frame and it will be easier to modify, Yes the XJ has a wheelbase advantage, but you if your going soa on a YJ run XJ springs in the rear and wagoneer springs in the front that will give you roughly a 8" wheelbase stretch . I've wheeled with both they both have their pros and cons But I rather wheel in something with a frame and rollbar even though the factory rollbar in the YJ isnt the best its still better than a tin roof

Tags
cheap , jeep , opinion , xj , YJ

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.