Wrangler Unlimited VS SVT Raptor - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Jeep Forums > Jeep Buying Forum > Wrangler Unlimited VS SVT Raptor

Rough Country Deals at JeepHut.comExtremeTerrain GROUP BUY: Barricade Rear Bumpers/Tire Carr*VOTE NOW Help Metalcloak Giveaway an XJ Suspension*

Unread 05-06-2012, 04:13 PM   #1
frischee112

Wrangler Unlimited VS SVT Raptor

I know that this topic has been discussed before, but a consensus was never reached. I am trying to decide which one to buy.

I live in the northeast and have heavy winters. I will probably be using this as a daily commute vehicle along with off roading. I need something that will make it through some heavy mud along with snow, moving water, etc.
Some things Ive considered:

-The Raptor is heavier which may give it an advantage when driving through creeks/shallow rivers
-The Raptor is also (significantly) more powerful both in torque and hp
-The Raptor is a few inches higher off the ground which may give it an advantage in certain situations
-The Raptor rides smoother on road (so Ive heard)
-The Wrangler is more nimble, giving it an advantage in tight spots
-The Wrangler gets (slightly) better gas mileage
-The Wrangler is designed for all conditions, whereas the Raptor is meant for desert running (but is adequate on other terrains)
-The Wrangler is cheaper by ~$10K (I would get a Rubicon fully loaded with an auto tranny)

It's basically brute force against nimbleness. Which one is better in the mud, snow, and waters of the NE? Which one is better for a daily commute? Which one would I be better off getting?

frischee112 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-06-2012, 11:01 PM   #2
lauderdalechad
2006 WK 

If you dont tow/haul a lot then def go with the jeep...it has more room and will be better in ANY off-road situation unless you have a desert to go racing through in NY. Its probably easier on the day to day stuff to, like parking and whatnot. And not to mention you would save $10k!!

I drive a truck now and I would trade it for another jeep anyway...especially when it comes to driving in bad weather and snow! You ever try to pull out into traffic in the rain with a truck...makes you think twice whether you can make it or not
2006 Overland HEMI QDII
lauderdalechad is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-09-2012, 10:40 PM   #3
LJameson
1990 YJ Wrangler 

Raptor gets god awful mileage (expect 10-12 MAX), so take that into consideration.

Having driven both, the ride is about the same. I'd go with the jeep personally. Nothing against the raptor, but I couldn't see it being a daily driver.

-Chris LeDoux

I never could figure what the sky was thinking, but the soil, she don't keep too many secrets.
LJameson is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-10-2012, 07:28 AM   #4
TheHuntsman
2012 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by frischee112 View Post
I know that this topic has been discussed before, but a consensus was never reached. I am trying to decide which one to buy.

I live in the northeast and have heavy winters. I will probably be using this as a daily commute vehicle along with off roading. I need something that will make it through some heavy mud along with snow, moving water, etc.
Some things Ive considered:

-The Raptor is heavier which may give it an advantage when driving through creeks/shallow rivers
-The Raptor is also (significantly) more powerful both in torque and hp
-The Raptor is a few inches higher off the ground which may give it an advantage in certain situations
-The Raptor rides smoother on road (so Ive heard)
-The Wrangler is more nimble, giving it an advantage in tight spots
-The Wrangler gets (slightly) better gas mileage
-The Wrangler is designed for all conditions, whereas the Raptor is meant for desert running (but is adequate on other terrains)
-The Wrangler is cheaper by ~$10K (I would get a Rubicon fully loaded with an auto tranny)

It's basically brute force against nimbleness. Which one is better in the mud, snow, and waters of the NE? Which one is better for a daily commute? Which one would I be better off getting?
Hey, you're not too far down the road from me! I think both vehicles are great. I'd say you need to go down to the dealer, and take one of each for a day.

I think both would be just fine for what you are describing. One way to determine this might be what are your crew concerns as opposed to your cargo concerns. Are you more likely to need to move people then material?

If excursions way off the beaten path with friends or family is the priority then I'd say a Rubicon and an Unlimited at that. If being able to go those same places and haul large loads of gear, large game, or whatever else you might need, then the Raptor might be a better bet. Jmo, of course.

Good luck with whatever you decide. Choosing between two vehicles like that isn't a bad spot to be in.
TheHuntsman is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-18-2012, 01:08 PM   #5
KaiserM715
1967 J-Series Truck 

Quote:
Originally Posted by LJameson View Post
Raptor gets god awful mileage (expect 10-12 MAX), so take that into consideration.
I have a 2010 w/ the 6.2. In town mileage is about 11 and hwy is 16, but is very dependent on headwind and speed. 70 mph w/ 15 mph headwind and you are looking at 14.5 mpg.
KaiserM715 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-18-2012, 02:29 PM   #6
TheRealKTrain
1998 XJ Cherokee 

Resale value: Jeep>Raptor

'nuff said

Μολὼν λαβέ
TheRealKTrain is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-19-2012, 01:25 AM   #7
SoCalCC

I have a 2010 6.2 Raptor with around 25K miles. I us it as my daily driver and have no complaints whatsoever. However, I also knew what I was getting myself into: It is big, not as nimble as a Wrangler (as you mentioned), I get about 12MPG average with a combination of city / highway driving. The 2010's were only supercabs so I only have the half-doors in the back with a 2nd-row seats, however, this particular setup is definitely not very roomy in the 2nd row - currently have 2 child seats back there...funny right...a Raptor with 2 child seats :-)

I really have no complaints about the truck at all, however, I'm also not an expert off-road enthusiast as potentially other folks on this forum are so I can't really provide an off-road comparison between the two. However, I can tell you, I'm on this forum but I'm interested in getting a Wrangler, mainly for it's convertible nature and the fact that my wife isn't comfortable driving the Raptor due to it's size and what she calls it's "machisimo".

The Ford Sync system is awesome. I'm not sure how that compares to the Jeep. This ride on the Raptor is supper smooth and what I would call "bouncy" not hard and rigid. I haven't driven a 2012 jeep but I did drive a 2010 and the stiffness of the ride in the particular jeep compared to the Raptor was night and day.

Not sure if this helps but that my 2 cents worth as someone who drives a Raptor everyday. I agree with the other suggestions, see if you can drive both and think about how you may use it. Good luck with your decision.
SoCalCC is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
off road , raptor , unlimited , versus , wrangler

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.