Wrangler info needed - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Jeep Forums > Jeep Buying Forum > Wrangler info needed

FS: Wranger BRIGHT License Plate LED! Just $3! Great valueECGS DOTW - $100 off Yukon 8.8 C-Clip Eliminator KitNitro Gear Packages Now Available at Rockridge 4wd

Unread 07-25-2013, 08:17 PM   #1
Jeep_Comm_07

Wrangler info needed

So I am currently looking at old 1st gen jeep wranglers and I have no experience with this model or wranglers for that matter. So what are things to look out for when buying and things that should be on the jeep it's self. And is it ok if the wrangler is way above 100,000 miles.

Jeep_Comm_07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-27-2013, 07:37 PM   #2
AppStateTJ
2001 TJ Wrangler 

Look for rust. I wouldn't worry about the miles on a 4.0, if they took care of it. They go over 200k all the time.
AppStateTJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-28-2013, 05:59 AM   #3
WDNewman
1989 YJ Wrangler 

Yj

And I have a '89 YJ 2.5 with over 150,000 that burns no oil and leaks very little.
The previous post was correct. Avoid rust at all cost.
WDNewman is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-28-2013, 06:12 AM   #4
mason93
2004 TJ Wrangler 

x3 on the rust. Where do you live? And check for oil leaks. I looked for a yj when I bought my tj and they were all either rusted out junk or the owner wanted the same price as a tj. What do you want to do with it? Carb models are fine for the street but if you plan to go offroad I would look for something fuel injected, carbs can get a little funky when your sideways on rocks. Above 100k is fine IF it has been taken care of, which is sometimes hard to judge. Engines that should go 300k miles can easily be destroyed in 50k if they arent maintained. If its all stock thats a good indicator that it hasnt been completely abused. Ask if it has ever been lifted/wheeled. Look underneath for signs of off road use. Step back and look at it in the sun to make sure the body panels all look the same shade of color to see if anythings been replaced.

The very best thing to do is to just ask as many questions as you possibly can. If it seems like something good, tell the seller you have the money ready but want to get a mechanic to look at it first. Most sellers with nothing to hide will be ok with that.
mason93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-28-2013, 07:28 AM   #5
Jeep_Comm_07

I am probably a few year away from buying one but I would not use it for off road. It would be used almost like a classic car or a car that is driven a few days every week. I live in texas currently but may be moving to Pennsylvania in a few years. I plan on buying one from texas because it will have less rust than ones in the northern states. So basically it would be used as a second car along side my commander.
Jeep_Comm_07 is offline   Reply With Quote

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.