Wrangler 4cyl or 6 cyl - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Jeep Forums > Jeep Buying Forum > Wrangler 4cyl or 6 cyl

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineRockridge 4WD IS Taking Zone Offroad Suspension Lift Kits Rough Country Jeep Suspension Deals at Rockridge 4WD!

Unread 02-23-2014, 06:45 PM   #1
rmanbike

Wrangler 4cyl or 6 cyl

I will be buying my first Jeep. Currently other car is a 2010 Prius. First I have a small trailer, maximum weight 1500 lbs. need to tow behind on occasion. Also have some wooded property that is quite hilly and need this jeep to get around it. Plus need transportation when their is snow.

Looking at spending maximum $5000.00

I have test drove a 98 wrangler 4cyl with 133,000 miles. It had no rust as I could tell and drove and shifted very smoothly. Dealer price 7700.
Also tested a 99 wrangler 6cyl with 198,000 miles. It had some rust that looked to be painted over, a new radiator and tires. It drove ok, transmission was rough specially going into 2nd. Overall it was felt rougher than the 98 wrangler. This was private add price 4750.

I think going though a dealer is out of my budget all the way around. Any suggestions?

rmanbike is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-24-2014, 06:20 AM   #2
WDNewman
1989 YJ Wrangler 

I owned two 4 cylinders and have had no trouble from either. The current one has 157k miles on it and is still doing just fine. BUT I am not in very hilly country and I don't tow anything with it. I would continue looking for a Wrangler with a 4.0 six if I were you. Find a completely stock unit that is rust free and well maintained. The fewer owners the better. Stay away from lifts and all modifications. High mileage may not be a problem IF the miles are highway miles and IF it has been maintained by the book. You will almost always get better pricing from an individual than from a dealership.

Your max price of $5k is going to be a problem. Perhaps a much newer Cherokee 4WD?
Unread 02-24-2014, 10:24 AM   #3
Adam013085

$5k Wranglers are out there but they are usually in pretty shotty shape. Stay away from rust, both TJs you mention sound like headaches or overpriced.
Adam013085 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-25-2014, 10:03 AM   #4
02WJneedslift
Im the white guy lol

Quote:
Originally Posted by rmanbike View Post
I will be buying my first Jeep. Currently other car is a 2010 Prius. First I have a small trailer, maximum weight 1500 lbs. need to tow behind on occasion. Also have some wooded property that is quite hilly and need this jeep to get around it. Plus need transportation when their is snow.

Looking at spending maximum $5000.00

I have test drove a 98 wrangler 4cyl with 133,000 miles. It had no rust as I could tell and drove and shifted very smoothly. Dealer price 7700.
Also tested a 99 wrangler 6cyl with 198,000 miles. It had some rust that looked to be painted over, a new radiator and tires. It drove ok, transmission was rough specially going into 2nd. Overall it was felt rougher than the 98 wrangler. This was private add price 4750.

I think going though a dealer is out of my budget all the way around. Any suggestions?
I see your in Hickory, only 20 minutes south of me.

Search around on craigslist, there is a lot of decent ones in the Charlotte area. Heck even eBay within a certain distance can eb a big help.

Now this is me, but I would get a IL6 on the 4 anyday, if you are wanting to tow anything, get the 6

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.