Is This Worth It? I Need Guidance. New Driver. - Page 3 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Jeep Forums > Jeep Buying Forum > Is This Worth It? I Need Guidance. New Driver.

FS: Wrangler RGB Multicolor Fog Light LEDs: Awesome EffectFS: 2007-2013 Jeep Wrangler "HALO" Angel Eye KitSavvy Billet LED Tail Lights

Unread 10-23-2013, 08:55 AM   #31
robtco99
2001 XJ Cherokee 

If you want a good deal never buy from a dealer. They usually charge full retail, you have no history and service records, and they add in their hidden fees. Buy from a private seller and save yourself some $$.

I would look very hard at auto trader, ebay, craigslist, etc and be willing to drive for a good deal.

Research cherokees on here and do lots of reading about problem points for them before you buy one.

The family friend one for $5800 may be an ok deal depending on condition, but I would expect to get it for 5k. Nice lower mileage ones are getting harder, but you can still find decent ones out there pretty cheap, like $3500 and under.

Unread 10-23-2013, 09:27 AM   #32
Soldier905
1988 MJ Comanche 

Quote:
Originally Posted by LowTread View Post

Speaking of taking longer...
So how do I insure and register a jeep that isn't from a dealer? Do I have to buy a temp plate if its a 2001?

You talk to an insurance agent whoever your with and ask for a temp/transport tag until you get it fully insured and registered . You either drive it home or drive it straight to the dmv as their not meant to be normal insurance just to get to point A to B from pickup location . You buy the plates at the dmv and it will be sent to you through the mail (if custom) or they give you a regular one on the spot . If you get a custom plate you will get a temp tag you tape to your back window until your metal plate shows up also the year doesn't matter as it applies to all vehicles.

(also check out this thread http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f165/...plans-1714306/ on how warranty companies are )
Soldier905 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-23-2013, 09:20 PM   #33
LowTread

Okay so I just got through calling around 12 different insurance companies and I've got the top 3 in a notebook.
This is my first ever vehicle. I got my license October 10th. This will be the first time I've ever been insured.
So if I buy this vehicle that isn't from a dealer... I call up the company I want insurance with, and I tell them I need to drive this thing home.
Once home, I set up my insurance account and I can then insure the vehicle. Once insured, I'll have to go to the DMV to get a temporary plate.
I bring the temporary plate back home, then I put it on my Jeep the next day, drive my jeep to the DMV and get it registered?

Since it is over 10 years old, I am assuming I'll have to get a temp plate, bring it home, put it on, go to the DMV, get the jeep safety inspected, and then register.

Does that sound right?
LowTread is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-23-2013, 10:27 PM   #34
xrunndonex
1994 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by LowTread View Post
Okay so I just got through calling around 12 different insurance companies and I've got the top 3 in a notebook.
This is my first ever vehicle. I got my license October 10th. This will be the first time I've ever been insured.
So if I buy this vehicle that isn't from a dealer... I call up the company I want insurance with, and I tell them I need to drive this thing home.
Once home, I set up my insurance account and I can then insure the vehicle. Once insured, I'll have to go to the DMV to get a temporary plate.
I bring the temporary plate back home, then I put it on my Jeep the next day, drive my jeep to the DMV and get it registered?

Since it is over 10 years old, I am assuming I'll have to get a temp plate, bring it home, put it on, go to the DMV, get the jeep safety inspected, and then register.

Does that sound right?
Age don't matter the DMV has plates there already all they will do is link the numbers to your vin. Unless you get a custom plate
xrunndonex is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-24-2013, 01:06 PM   #35
Soldier905
1988 MJ Comanche 

The only time age of a vehicle really comes into play is for Historic/collector plates which in this case doesn't apply . You MAY have to buy the insurance first unless your on someone elses policy (if you are you could just get the temp policy like mentioned on post 32 until you get it to dmv or home) , Call the insurance company of your choice to make sure there isn't any weird laws about tagging your vehicle as every state has different laws for these sorts of things .

Quote:
I'll have to go to the DMV to get a temporary plate.
The temp plate is a piece of paper so tape it on the inside of the rear hatch glass . You Could get it done all in one day but the vehicle doesn't need to be at the dmv to get the plates and title changed over . Just bring the title to the vehicle , proof of insurance and of course $$ as it costs to have the title changed over depending on how much you bought it for (price may or may not be written on the title but make sure its fully filled out before you leave the site of purchase)
Unread 10-24-2013, 04:00 PM   #36
Dave2002ti
2012 WK 

Jeep May Not be the Right Vehicle for You

[QUOTE=LowTread;17101409]

A Jeep of any kind may not be the right vehicle for a brand new inexperienced driver. You have only been licensed for less than 30 days.

A nice 4dr sedan with ABS and lots of airbags is usually what I recommend for new drivers. A nice Volvo for a normally aspirated 4 cylinder engine a 240 is a great first car. A normally aspirated 4dr Golf or Jetta or a nice Ford Tempo.

I dont recommend pick ups, SUVs, Jeeps, pony cars, high performance cars of any kind, BMWs etc for new drivers. I used to run my local BMW car clubs high performance driving schools so I recommend a good accident avoidance program etc. there a lot of programs now for teen drivers. So unless you race karts or already are a licensed NASCAR driver at your local track a Jeep Cherokee is not the best and safest vehicle for you. Do your parents have a nice insurance policy on you? And why arent you on parents insurance???
Dave2002ti is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-24-2013, 06:56 PM   #37
LowTread

Well I bought the Jeep from our family friend. It has ABS brakes and front air bags. I don't have a father.
I plan on being extremely cautious & I'm going to avoid high speeds, and take back roads at every chance I have.
I won't have the gas to be in the thing more than to work and back. (If I can even find a job)
I'll be coasting with my foot on the brake for the next 2 years. lol. Trust me, I am a very cautious guy.
For what I do to make money right now, I wanted/needed an SUV or a truck to pick up the items/antiques I sell/scrap.
My mom has grown very tired of picking up grill hoods and side tables in her Toyota Corolla with me.

I'll be 23 in a few months, not 17. This license and vehicle was a long time coming.
and while I haven't had my own vehicle until now, I have driven for a while. I believe I can handle my Jeep.
But thank you. I appreciate your concerns and I think if any new driver were to be reading this thread its a good lesson for everyone.
The bottom line is, your correct, I will have to baby this Jeep and I will have to be on my guard every moment I'm driving it.
I understand the statistics of new drivers getting in fender benders is 90% and I am determined to be of that excluded 10%

My mom is now thinking about putting me under her insurance but that was a very recent decision. We will see if that happens.
If I were to go on her insurance and I were to lose my breaks & cripple or mortally injure a pedestrian we would lose everything.
So we were planning to get me my own plan and keep the car in my name, however, we don't have the 3k for a year of insurance.

So we'll see.
Unread 10-25-2013, 04:59 PM   #38
Soldier905
1988 MJ Comanche 

3k for a year is way too much ,out of curiosity which one quoted 3k? . If you can take drivers education it can help reduce your insurance costs and teach you very important things about driving .if you don't drive much you will get a discount too .
Unread 10-25-2013, 06:04 PM   #39
LowTread

Well I called every big insurance company. 3k is a bit of an exaggeration but most quotes were over 2k for a year without collision.
I will be going on my mom's for the next 3 to 6 months. Everything is worked out for now.

Also because I'm in my 20s most companies have told me there isn't really a discount for driving school.
Unread 10-26-2013, 09:15 PM   #40
Soldier905
1988 MJ Comanche 

Sounds like their not wanting to give the discount to me either way its worth taking the class for experience
Unread 10-29-2013, 07:04 PM   #41
LowTread

I could take a look at those classes. Don't have the money for them right now I don't think.
Unread 10-30-2013, 09:49 AM   #42
Soldier905
1988 MJ Comanche 

It cost me roughly $200 when i took mine and it lasted about 6 weeks
Unread 10-30-2013, 04:03 PM   #43
LowTread

Jeez 6 weeks. it'd be good to take for experience though.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.