Is This Worth It? I Need Guidance. New Driver. - Page 2 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Jeep Forums > Jeep Buying Forum > Is This Worth It? I Need Guidance. New Driver.

TeraFlex Now at Rockridge 4WD! BEST DEALS around!Alloy usa heavy duty ball joint kitsENGO QUADLUX 6" to 54" LED AMBER AND WHITE MULTI

Unread 10-22-2013, 06:54 AM   #16
WDNewman
1989 YJ Wrangler 

Are you confusing the valve cover gasket with the head gasket? If the head is cracked you will need a new head, and the gasket alone will NOT solve the problem. It sounds to me as if the salesman is promising you anything just to get your name on the dotted line. Everything on this deal stinks. Continue looking. There are too many jeeps out there to settle for anything that is not perfect.

WDNewman is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-22-2013, 09:41 AM   #17
Dave2002ti
Web Wheeler
2012 WK 

Just Walk Away

You dont need the hassles. This stealer is trying to take you for a long expensive ride. I had 78 VW Rabbit that finally in 1998 I donated to charity with approx 100K miles it never had a leaky head gasket. Valve cover gasket yep but head gasket no. I also had 90 325i with over 240000 hard miles on it since many of them were track day miles. The head gasket never leaked or weeped when I sold it in 2006. Dealer is lying to you son.
Dave2002ti is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-22-2013, 11:47 AM   #18
LowTread

The leak is coming out of the black pan that goes over the cylinder coils i think.

& I will have a 2 or 3 year warranty. So if the head cracks, the warranty covers it. I have made sure of that.
LowTread is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-22-2013, 12:26 PM   #19
LowTread

I think it might be the valve cover gasket. Is that a good thing or a bad thing?
Unread 10-22-2013, 12:37 PM   #20
Dave2002ti
Web Wheeler
2012 WK 

What part of walk away

dont you get son. Chances the AC holds a charge for more than 2 days slim.
Who is this 2 year warranty with? The dealer? All prices are negotiable on both car and the warranty. AC may require a new compressor etc. Chances of getting it fixed slim. And you dont know a valve cover gasket from a head gasket????. Head cracks oh the warranty will replace it. I have bridges I can sell you cheap son. Want to buy the 14th St bridge in DC?

Walk away now.
Dave2002ti is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-22-2013, 01:21 PM   #21
LowTread

The warranty is with a warranty company. I can go to any auto shop in the US. The AC was cool from the start, it could just use a little charge. The heat is great. We're going to go talk to our private mechanic right now to see what he says. Google image search doesn't help at all. The valve cover is the aluminum pan thats on a vertical axis towards the middle of the engine compartment right? I believe thats what is wet around it.

There's obviously no smoke coming out of the exhaust. The engine is running fine. No foreign liquids in the oil or coolant. Not overheating. If my mechanic agrees with you I guess I'll walk away. -______-
Unread 10-22-2013, 03:23 PM   #22
dmill89
1995 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by LowTread View Post
The valve cover is the aluminum pan thats on a vertical axis towards the middle of the engine compartment right? I believe thats what is wet around it.
Technically it's stamped steel on a 2000 not aluminum (it is cast aluminum on 91-96 XJs), but yes, the stamped metal "pan" over the head is the valve cover, leaking valve cover gaskets are common on XJs (and just about any other 10+ year old vehicles) and aren't a big deal.

If they are pulling the valve cover it should be really easy to check for cracks, the crack usually occurs between the #3 and #4 cylinders (in the middle of the head) and can generally be seen with the valve cover off.
dmill89 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-22-2013, 03:53 PM   #23
LowTread

my mechanic says he will take a look at it on his lift Saturday. he thinks its just the valve cover from the data I gave him.
So they are going to fix the valve cover gasket and then we are going to take it to my family mechanic to see if they did it right.
My brother just talked to me and told me that I am getting myself all upset for no reason and that my 2 year warranty will cover any problem.

SO, I just have to e-mail our salesman the list of things we want fixed and the dealership is going to get everything fixed to our specifications hopefully.
Then we will go take a look at it Saturday to see if everything was fixed to our satisfaction. If everything was fixed, we will take it to our mechanic.
If our mechanic says everything is mechanically sound then we may go for it.

Otherwise, a family friend just called us and says he has a nice one for sale.
Unread 10-22-2013, 04:12 PM   #24
Soldier905
1988 MJ Comanche 

I know how it feels to get first vehicle there lowtread all excited and such but check out every option available first including that one you mention a family friend has . I always wanted a 69/70 charger as my first car but the only ones i came across were too pricey or too much wrong with them ,came across a 72 that i felt that was the closest id get to one . 1 18 hour road trip i found out there was hidden flaws that were not mentioned in the add so there was alot wasted time . After that incident i decided a camaro was for me and it was so what i mean by all that is things change and a better option may appear to you . I wouldn't get the warranty on it as companies like to weasel their way around their own rules so they will not have to pay for a claim and its very very unlikely it will "Cover any problem" as you mention .
Soldier905 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-22-2013, 05:33 PM   #25
715racing
2005 LJ Wrangler 

Son, I don't think you should walk away from this Jeep...I think you should RUN as fast, and as far away as you can get. And if not from the Jeep, from the Dealer selling it. They are promising you everything under the sun to get you to buy it. Do not believe them! They have you figured out perfectly...young, very anxious, headstrong, in love with their Jeep, and you will do just about anything to justify the purchase.

Listen to the advice here. Too many problems for a young man with zero mechanical ability/experience. Too high priced for a Jeep with as many things wrong as that one has. The warranty WILL NOT fix all the little issues, or most likely any known issues at the time of purchase. Has the dealer put ANY of their promises to you in writing? Have they given you a copy of the extended warranty to go over before purchase? How long does the dealer guarantee their own work...for example, if they "fix" the power windows, is their work guaranteed for 12 months, or 30 days? Will they use authentic Jeep parts, or cheap chinese window motors.

If a family friend is offering you their personal Cherokee, at a decent price, that is most likely the way to go. As someone said earlier, put that $1,500.00 in the bank, and if you have to, use it to correct any problems with the Jeep. If you have no problems, now you have money to mod, which, being young and foolish, you most certainly will do.

As have I, and my Sons, and 99% of the Jeep owners on here.

I'm just teasing you about the mod thing...we all do it, and it is one of the great things about being a Jeep owner.

Please do yourself a favor, and buy from your family friend. You will almost certainly get a better, less troublesome Jeep.

Good luck, and when it happens...WELCOME TO THE JEEP WORLD!!
Unread 10-22-2013, 06:28 PM   #26
LowTread

The dealer said the work they will be doing to bring the jeep up to our specifications will be guaranteed for 3 months. It is the valve cover gasket, not the head gasket. & as I said, my personal mechanic will do tests for a head crack. If my personal mechanic gives the OK, then I will feel more comfortable about buying this particular Jeep. The warranty is a warranty program that allows me to take it to any dealership in the nation, not just the dealer.

Its not really that I am the one that won't walk away. I'm 22. I am being pushed and pulled. I do like this Jeep but I don't need it. My brother doesn't believe I know what I'm talking about when I tell him I have read that leaking valve covers & low coolant are symptoms of the 1330 casting crack that 2000s can get. He thinks its funny that I think I know what I'm talking about when I don't. He also thinks I'm crazy for telling him the warranty won't take care of me if I do develop a crack in the head casting. He thinks it makes no sense that I wouldn't trust a $1500 warranty thats on the books because some people on a forum told me not to.

The family friend is my mom's coworker's son. He is the mechanic's teacher at the local trade school.
He buys jeeps and fixes them up for sale. He promised he'd call us when he had one he thinks I'd like.
He is not a dealer but he is a mechanic's teacher. It won't have a warranty & I'll have to get it registered myself. He called me when I got home today and told me the one he wants to sell me is the best one he'll have all season. He rattled off a huge list of things he's done to fix it up. Including new brakes, struts, all kinds of things.

So with that... I have a decision to make. One from a dealer with a warranty or one from my mom's friend's son. Which would you think is the better deal? I don't know the price of this 2nd one just yet.
Unread 10-22-2013, 06:46 PM   #27
Soldier905
1988 MJ Comanche 

Best of luck to you there lowtread with the jeep as your getting basically taken on that warranty plan your buying . For the amount your paying on that warranty you can buy a parts jeep to swap parts off of . You came here for help on your questions and we answered them with our experiences so do with it as you wish .

(Any problems you claim with that warranty they don't want to pay for they can claim driver error which they wont have to pay a thing on it , Dealerships are not your friend )
Soldier905 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-22-2013, 06:48 PM   #28
715racing
2005 LJ Wrangler 

Until you know both bottom line, out the door prices, (including tax, registration and fees), have driven them both, and have had your mechanic check them out, you can't possibly know which is the better vehicle. Or better buy.

Remember this when it comes to aftermarket warranties...the warranty company may tell you any dealer in the Nation will fix it, but that isn't so. First, the shop will have to diagnose the problem. Next, give an estimate, both to you and to the warranty company. Then the warranty company has to authorize the work, and THEY RARELY accept the shops first estimate. They almost always try to cut prices, labor rates and repair time. The shop will then decide if they even want to do the job for the cut rate, authorized price. Most shops will say "no thanks", especially if they are a well respected shop that is busy anyways. So, you take it to a cut rate shop, using inferior parts, with, shall we say, less than ideally trained mechanics.
You don't want that.

Good luck young Man...whatever Jeep you end up with, I hope it runs for a long time, and gives you lots of enjoyment.

Rob
Unread 10-22-2013, 07:26 PM   #29
xrunndonex
1994 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by 715racing View Post
Son, I don't think you should walk away from this Jeep...I think you should RUN as fast, and as far away as you can get. And if not from the Jeep, from the Dealer selling it. They are promising you everything under the sun to get you to buy it. Do not believe them! They have you figured out perfectly...young, very anxious, headstrong, in love with their Jeep, and you will do just about anything to justify the purchase.

Listen to the advice here. Too many problems for a young man with zero mechanical ability/experience. Too high priced for a Jeep with as many things wrong as that one has. The warranty WILL NOT fix all the little issues, or most likely any known issues at the time of purchase. Has the dealer put ANY of their promises to you in writing? Have they given you a copy of the extended warranty to go over before purchase? How long does the dealer guarantee their own work...for example, if they "fix" the power windows, is their work guaranteed for 12 months, or 30 days? Will they use authentic Jeep parts, or cheap chinese window motors.

If a family friend is offering you their personal Cherokee, at a decent price, that is most likely the way to go. As someone said earlier, put that $1,500.00 in the bank, and if you have to, use it to correct any problems with the Jeep. If you have no problems, now you have money to mod, which, being young and foolish, you most certainly will do.

As have I, and my Sons, and 99% of the Jeep owners on here.

I'm just teasing you about the mod thing...we all do it, and it is one of the great things about being a Jeep owner.

Please do yourself a favor, and buy from your family friend. You will almost certainly get a better, less troublesome Jeep.

Good luck, and when it happens...WELCOME TO THE JEEP WORLD!!
Also he'll most likely get it much cheaper from the friend just cause he knows him.
xrunndonex is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-22-2013, 08:02 PM   #30
LowTread

This new Jeep in the mix is a 2001 with 112k miles and he wants $5800. $800 more than the dealers. Its supposedly really nice. I didn't really care all that much about how nice it looks but whatever. We'll have to give a counter offer. I've listened to you all and you all seem to be like one big mob with the same beliefs: 1. The warranty is bull. 2. I should just keep the money and use it for when I need to have the jeep fixed. (even though only 4.5k of it is my money and I'll probably never see the rest of the 6k again) 3. The dealership is ripping me off. Points taken.

My brother says the exact opposite. Says I'm stupid for listening to a people on the internet for every thing I tell him you've all said.
So whatever. I'm going to take a look at this 2nd jeep and if its nice I MAY get it from your advice. Even though it'll take longer.

Speaking of taking longer...
So how do I insure and register a jeep that isn't from a dealer? Do I have to buy a temp plate if its a 2001?

Last edited by LowTread; 10-22-2013 at 08:38 PM..

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.