Is This Worth It? I Need Guidance. New Driver. - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Jeep Forums > Jeep Buying Forum > Is This Worth It? I Need Guidance. New Driver.

ECGS Black Friday Sale!!6th Annual, Beat Your Wife to the Credit Card Sale!50 in light bar /A pillar mount less than 500 at JeepHut.c

Unread 10-19-2013, 07:54 PM   #1
LowTread

Is This Worth It? I Need Guidance. New Driver.

Hey Everyone. I could use some help. I'm a new driver.
Looking to buy my 1st vehicle. I love 90's, 00, 01 Cherokees.
I've gone to see 4-5 of them now & I've found one that I really like.

Its a 2000 Cherokee. Automatic. 115k miles. $5000 nonnegotiable.
2 year warranty from dealer is $1500 bringing it up to $6500.
This one is an auction Jeep. Seems to be in good mechanical condition.

Problems: Front tires low on tread. 2 windows don't roll down. The AC could be recharged. The back AC vents don't blow. Center column is loose. Ceiling fabric is hanging from a thread. Big rip in the middle. Rip in driver's seat. Bumper is completely scratched up. No owner's manual.

Other than that, looks great. Does the price fit from your experience?
Do you think the 2 year warranty is worth it or do you think I could keep that 1500 and use it to fix things as they break?

ANY help would be greatly appreciated. My mom & I aren't all that experienced in buying vehicles.
I'm doing all I can to learn about repairing what I think I could handle but we still think the warranty is important.

THANK YOU for ANY help!!! SERIOUSLY!!

LowTread is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-19-2013, 11:01 PM   #2
LowTread

I'm now reading all about 00's having problems with the cylinder head cracking or causing the head gasket to crack. This jeep is halfway to 130k miles. :/ Should I be having second thoughts on this basis alone or should I just be cautious? I will check to see if any coolant is leaking & I will check to see if there is any oil in the coolant reservoir. Is there anything else I should be cautious of? I am trying to buy a vehicle as soon as possible. I'm 22, blooming late into life and I'm trying to get driving as soon as I can. Don't have too many people to talk to about this in real life so if anyone could help I'd seriously appreciate it!!!
Unread 10-19-2013, 11:47 PM   #3
dmill89
1995 XJ Cherokee 

The price sounds high for the miles and condition. For $5,000 it should be in pretty much perfect condition. With the issues you describe that sounds like it should be in the $2,000-3,000 range.

00-01s do suffer from the 0331 head issue (all 4.0L I6s not just XJs). While most of these cracks are as a result of overheating, you never know if or how many times a used vehicle was overheated which makes it a risk and thus makes 00-01s less desirable than 91-99s.

Being in CT make sure to carefully check any vehicle for rust (especially underneath and in the floors), this is a major issue for just about any older vehicle in states that use road salt. Surface rust isn't a big deal but will need to be taken care of before it gets worse (rust inhibitor paint and a wire wheel works well for this), however holes can foreshadow major issues and if there is rust/rot that you can see there is likely more that you can't.
dmill89 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-20-2013, 06:58 AM   #4
WDNewman
1989 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmill89 View Post
The price sounds high for the miles and condition. For $5,000 it should be in pretty much perfect condition. With the issues you describe that sounds like it should be in the $2,000-3,000 range.

00-01s do suffer from the 0331 head issue (all 4.0L I6s not just XJs). While most of these cracks are as a result of overheating, you never know if or how many times a used vehicle was overheated which makes it a risk and thus makes 00-01s less desirable than 91-99s.

Being in CT make sure to carefully check any vehicle for rust (especially underneath and in the floors), this is a major issue for just about any older vehicle in states that use road salt. Surface rust isn't a big deal but will need to be taken care of before it gets worse (rust inhibitor paint and a wire wheel works well for this), however holes can foreshadow major issues and if there is rust/rot that you can see there is likely more that you can't.
I agree completely with the above post. As far as the price: What does Blue Book and Edmunds say? Not only does the price sound high, but what the heck do they mean by saying the price is "nonnegotiable"? ALL prices are negotiable.
In your area rust is the problem. If there is ANY rust, ANYWHERE, coupled with the problems you list I wouldn't buy it for $2,000. Too many problems lurk. It is not worth the warranty cost.
WDNewman is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-20-2013, 04:24 PM   #5
LowTread

Thank you both for the help. Its pretty good for exterior rust. Better than all the others I've seen.
The only real rust I've seen is the left bracket that holds the driver's seat to the floor but the floor around the bracket isn't rusted at all.
The only problem with the exterior is the back bumper has scratches, probably just from sliding things in and out of the back.
They say they will put in new window motors or switches, spray adhesive the roof fabric, charge the AC & fix the AC fans, & fix whatever else.
When I said the center column is loose, I mean the center console in between the front seats, not the steering column. The engine runs strong. No misfires.

KBB is saying suggested retail @ dealer in excellent condition is $7,240 for my area. I've seen a lot of dealers selling these for around 5k routinely.
I specifically would like a black one & they have been hard to find since I got my license so I'm excited about this black one.
Most of the ones I've gone to see from dealers are around 100k miles for around 5 thousand dollars. So this one is right there.

KBB for "For Sale By Owner"
Excellent- $5,615
Very Good- $5,315
Good- $5,190
Fair- $4,665

So they are selling this in the "Good" condition bracket for private sale which doesn't seem far off. I still think they could take 2-3 hundred off for the interior rips.
Unread 10-20-2013, 04:40 PM   #6
Chuck1225
2000 XJ Cherokee 

Like my dad told me a year ago when I was looking for my college car; (I wanted a Ford Ranger, but ended up getting a 2000 Jeep Cherokee sport 4 door, and am DANG glad I did, too.) "Don't jump at the first one you see and like. Wait a bit and look around a while longer. If it is meant to be, it'll still be there in 3 days." Now.. I'm not telling you to look at other vehicles; You've made a hell of a good choice with going with a Cherokee. I'd just take two or three days and look on craigslist/other dealers. And don't forget- when it comes to color- "It's called spraypaint. It's cheap and it comes in a can." ...Unless, of course, your family is dead-set against redneck paintjobs, like my family is.
Chuck1225 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-20-2013, 06:06 PM   #7
LowTread

I can agree with that Chuck1225. I am trying my best to hold on & continue looking for better deals.
My problem is I've been in love with 90's Cherokees since I was a young boy. I used to draw them over & over again.

I did pay for a Vehicle History Report. This one had a strange report. It looks like it was registered almost every year through to 2010.
What would make a dealer keep registering the vehicle? If anyone would like to see the report I can post the history of it here.
it also failed a safety inspection once, but it looks like whatever made it fail was taken care of. There's no report of what was wrong.

But 5k and they say they will fix everything I've found wrong with it thus far. So I am pretty happy with it right now
Unread 10-20-2013, 06:25 PM   #8
Chuck1225
2000 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by LowTread View Post
I can agree with that Chuck1225. I am trying my best to hold on & continue looking for better deals.
My problem is I've been in love with 90's Cherokees since I was a young boy. I used to draw them over & over again.

I did pay for a Vehicle History Report. This one had a strange report. It looks like it was registered almost every year through to 2010.
What would make a dealer keep registering the vehicle? If anyone would like to see the report I can post the history of it here.
it also failed a safety inspection once, but it looks like whatever made it fail was taken care of. There's no report of what was wrong.

But 5k and they say they will fix everything I've found wrong with it thus far. So I am pretty happy with it right now
Hmm.. How long did you say it was on the lot? I won't lie, I'm no expert as far as cars go.. But if I were you, I'd double check anything and everything. And heck, your vehicle history report was a lot less eventful than mine. When we bought it, it had been on the tiny, one-man used car lot for maybe a day, and the owner hadn't had time to look at it. Turned out that there was a big 'ol bloodstain right in the back cargo area, where someone had piled all the floor-mats. My dad started freaking out because this dealership happened to be at was in the ghetto. But, once we ran the carfax and found out that it had come from a little town in the country and had hit a deer, we just concluded that the guy tossed it in the back, took it home, and paid to have the front end repaired but hadn't had the interior fixed. Our fears were further put to rest by deer hair found in the carpet of the cargo compartment. But hey, deer blood and the stench of death were replaced by ripping out the rear carpet and throwing away the floor-mats.. Camo carpet for the rear, and camo floor-mats FTW!

EDIT: I just HAD to include this picture.
Chuck1225 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-20-2013, 07:50 PM   #9
LowTread

03/23/2000 NEW YORK, NY

Motor Vehicle Dept. REGISTRATION EVENT/RENEWAL
04/10/2000 8 miles

Motor Vehicle Dept. TITLE
02/28/2001 NY 7,163 miles

State Agency PASSED SAFETY INSPECTION
PASSED SAFETY INSPECTION
02/19/2002

03/05/2002 NY 16,387 miles

State Agency PASSED EMISSION INSPECTION
FAILED SAFETY INSPECTION
PASSED SAFETY INSPECTION
09/23/2003 EASTERN REGION 33,056 miles

Auto Auction REPORTED AT AUTO AUCTION
09/24/2003 EASTERN REGION 33,056 miles

Auto Auction AUCTION ANNOUNCED AS FLEET/LEASE
10/31/2003 CT

06/15/2004 CT

06/15/2006 CT

08/28/2007 CT

06/10/2008 CT

06/15/2010 CT

06/15/2012 CT

07/23/2013 EASTERN REGION 113,253 miles

09/09/2013 EASTERN REGION 113,348 miles

The salesman that went on our test drive with me & my mom said they had it on their lot for around a month.
Unread 10-21-2013, 08:30 AM   #10
Dave2002ti
Web Wheeler
2012 WK 

AC problems

Might not just be a simple recharge and why doesnt the rear AC work? 2 windows that dont roll down. Take the $1500 you would pay for the warranty and put in a 24mos CD at a bank.

Have your private mechanic run a leak down test and check the vehicle out. Look at the color and condition of fluids in trannie, diffs and transfer case.
Check condition of brake fluid. Needs to be flushed and replaced.

Offer dealer $4K and they fix windows and AC.
Dave2002ti is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-21-2013, 08:09 PM   #11
LowTread

OK so I just went back today to look at it. It looks like there is a liquid leaking out all around the inline 6 (oil cover?) so the dealer says he is going to replace the head gasket by the time I come back this weekend. He said he will replace the head gasket. I specifically asked him if the head gasket, the casting, and the cylinders were covered under the warranty and he said YES every single time I asked him. So if I DO have the 1330 casting problem, I know that I will be able to replace it under the warranty.

The transmission oil doesn't smell a whole lot different than my mom's Toyota transmission fluid. It smells like its old and maybe has a little burnt tang to it... It wasn't much different than how my mom's car trans oil smells and it still has red to it, it wasn't strait brown or black. The engine oil is pretty old but it was full. The coolant was just a little lower than the fill line and it looked old, but not too bad. When I go back this weekend I am going to take the coolant cap off and let the engine run on idle to see if bubbles are coming up. If they are coming up I'll know they didn't do a proper job on the head gasket. They'll be doing a flush and replace for every fluid. They'll be recharging the AC.

It didn't over heat the entire time we drove it according to the thermostat. It is making a whistling sound but we think we've cornered the culprit belt. They said they will have that belt replaced by next weekend. The windows will be fixed. They will be putting new halogen headlights in. They will be fixing the roof fabric. They'll tighten up the console between the two front seats.
Unread 10-22-2013, 01:10 AM   #12
LowTread

Should I be buying a Jeep that had a leaking head gasket? I mean the dealer said he'd fix it and that it wouldn't be too hard. He said a lot of 13, 14, 15 year old vehicles will have leaking head gaskets and he'll fix it up right. He said it'd be ready by Saturday. Its Monday today. Is this situation at all normal? I'll have a great warranty that will cover the whole engine, transmission, and power train once I buy this thing, so am I going to be alright? I'm getting excited. I can't wait to have something to drive. If I back out of this and go for something else it could take another month. I'm hoping I can drive this home Saturday.
Unread 10-22-2013, 02:29 AM   #13
carnuck
1984 J-Series Truck 

The head cracks. It doesn't just leak that vintage. I'd offer $3500 cash. No deal? Start walking away, mumbling about how those guys at {brand X} dealership said you'd be back.

'81 Eagle wagon with upgrades $2500
'87 Comanche shortbox 4.0/AW4/NP242 on 33" tires $3500
carnuck is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-22-2013, 03:16 AM   #14
LowTread

But if the head is cracked, does getting the head gasket fixed solve that problem? & if I were to get it for $3500, then what? My warranty would cover a cracked head. They are asking 5k and 1500 for the 2 year warranty.
Unread 10-22-2013, 03:52 AM   #15
LowTread

I mean is this thing really cracked? I need to drive. My whole family was so happy I was getting this saturday. Is there anything I can do to make sure its cracked? Is there anything I could make them do & have my warranty cover? Or is this something that they can cover up and claim I'm trying to make them give me a new head/engine for no reason? :/

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.